have I done enough testing

Since I am new at this I just wanted some opinions and just want to make sure I am doing this ok.

I have only one container size I have tested 2 wicks and 2 different soy waxes. I have chosen then one I like the best. Of course I have several fragrances. I have tested about several of my fragrances but not all. BUt I make sure they all smell great from the jar. Is this enough? I want to try and sell some at my next flea marktet. I think I am good just second guessing myself.

Don't take it badly, but if you were anywhere near ready to sell candles, you wouldn't be asking this question. It'll take much longer to gain the knowledge and experience you need to design a good product that contributes to the reputation of candle crafters.

Let's not forget safety. This is a product that's on fire during normal use (duh). If it doesn't work right, people can get hurt or die. Including children, babies and cute animals.

To answer your question more specifically...

-- You need to learn what to look for in testing. There's a lot of discussion about that here on the board if you stick around.

-- You have to test every combination of wax, wick and scent that you plan to offer. That means burning from top to bottom and under various conditions. No way can you ever sell a fragrance that you haven't tested. They all burn differently and throw differently.

-- If your wallet doesn't hurt, you haven't tested enough.

Enjoy and keep at it.

In addition to testing every FO in every container, you should consider retesting each time you start a new case of wax.

I have seen this mentioned before and I am not sure I understand it correctly. Are you recommending that everytime you get a new case of wax, you test one candle with one scent...if it burns correctly, you should be ok?

TIA!

Jane

I don't retest every scent with each batch but I do perform "quality control tests" to make sure my wax, wicks, and FOs are still working together. This is done (especially with soy) as it can change from batch to batch. I don't work with paraffin so I can't speak about it. One bad batch and your candles might not burn as normal. I know this from personal experience. That is why you do it.

Joeysgirl - just because your candle has a great cold throw does not mean that your candles are good or that you are ready to sell. I've had candles that had a great cold throw and virtually NO hot throw. It also doesn't mean that you have a made a quality, SAFE burning candle. I think the answer that Top gave you is correct. If you are serious about making candles, you will heed the advice of those on this board that know what they are talking about. To figure out who knows what they are talking about, you will need to do lots of reading/research and testing. You can't really know something unless you have tried it yourself. Just reading about it is not always good enough. :wink2: Hang in there and keep on testing. If you stick with it and do your R&D, you will be O.K. Making candles is fun so I can understand your enthusiasm and impatience but you need to test more. Good luck.

I don't retest every scent with each batch but I do perform "quality control tests" to make sure my wax, wicks, and FOs are still working together. This is done (especially with soy) as it can change from batch to batch. I don't work with paraffin so I can't speak about it. One bad batch and your candles might not burn as normal. I know this from personal experience. That is why you do it.

:yes: that's what I meant. I test a few scents in each container with the new wax just to make sure that it "behaves" the same way.

I understand and that is why I second guesed myself so I am off to burning away amd test. I will only sell the ones I tested already. Thank you for all your support out there. I am just so excited about them and I did there labels last night and I am really happy with them.

This isn't my tester sheet. It was posted by someone else on CT awhile back (I think it was Fire and Ice, my apologies if I have the author wrong, but I see enough questions about testing that I thought I would stick this out there yet again.) Perhaps this could still be found on the onld CT with a little search for testing or test.

Make it apply to what you're doing. It's by no means an all-encompassing test sheet. I'm just going to say that when I started out I tested a few different wicks to get a gauge at what I thought of them and which I felt performed better.

Name of tester

Date candle given for testing:

Date tested:

Size of candle: What type of container?

Room it will be tested in? Is it the right size room for testing this size candle? Reccommend ______ size room for this test.

Approx size of room? Small Medium Large

How high are the ceilings? Standard, High, Cathedral ceilings

Is the candle appealing to look at?

Cold throw: Heavy Medium Light

Comments on cold throw:

Is the wick centered?_____ Time test started_______

How long after lighting did you notice the hot throw?

How close were you to the candle?

Does the scent fill the room of testing?

Does the scent travel into other rooms? How soon did it greet you in other rooms?

Full melt pool was achieved in______ hours. Was not achieved_________ Explain.

Did the wick mushroom on the first burn? Second burn?

Comments after three to five hour burn time.

No scent throw

Hang up of wax on side of container,

Full melt pool never reached,

Tunneling

Off center wick

Soot

Container is very hot.

Flame drowned

Flame too large

Flame too small

Others!

Hours of first burn________ second burn__________

Was this candle Marathon burned? Results?

Did other people comment on the candle?

Date test was completed?

Grade candle on scent throw: Cold_______ Hot______

Grade candle scent: Popular, Okay, Didn't like it,

hated it!

Final comments for this candle?

Wow! This is GREAT, Scented. Thanx for finding it and reposting it! :yay:

I am testing votives right now, and some of these things I didn't consider. For example, I am burning 4 (to test the various wicks) and have each in a different room as well to test the fragrance. I had not considered the fact that room sizes are varied. That helps me to make sure I'm testing accurately.

Here's a question (to ALL): Is it a bad thing if the wax ends up running over the sides of votives? Or is this to be expected? All 4 that I am burning have had this happen. So just wondering if this is ok or not, or if I should be looking to test even MORE wicks.

TIA!

Here's a question (to ALL): Is it a bad thing if the wax ends up running over the sides of votives? Or is this to be expected? All 4 that I am burning have had this happen. So just wondering if this is ok or not, or if I should be looking to test even MORE wicks.

TIA!

Votives should be burned in a tight fitting votive holder for optimum time testing, but you might also try them in a different kind of container(s) just so you can see what they will do should you get to selling them and the customers ask ... what about this kind of container? What will it do etc.

Yes, votives should spill over the sides. Mine generally lose their load within 45 mins. to an hour.

Thanx Scented. I was thinking my wicks must be too big.

I've been burning them for almost 1.5 hours and they are dwindling fast. The wax is just pouring over the sides. I know they're supposed to burn for at least 10 hours, so I'm looking at them like, WTF??? (Starting to see why everyone says, "Test, Test, TEST!!" Sigh...)

I'll get some of those votive holders and try, try again.

This is kinda fun!!! :cheesy2:

Oh were you not burning in a votive holder? I did that like 12 years ago and figured something wasn't right lol. I only got 6 hours out of mine then. Actually in a holder you should get anywhere from 12 to 20 some hours depending on your wax, holder, wicking etc. Good luck and have fun.

It helps to look at votives this way, they are containerless candles that need to be burned in a container (votive holder) and are not little mini pillars. They are made to when burned, the mp becomes liquid just like a container candle will do. They will not burn like a pillar.

I have been making tarts and am trying to get ready for a flea market. I have tested them at home and have given them to my gf's as well and they have been pleased and so have I. Should I test one of every scent that I have? I have been working a bit with jar candles as well but havent tested any of those yet. If the tarts burn well and the candles are used from the same wax shouldn't they be ok as well?

Thanks!

Amber

Absolutely not! Tarts and candles are totally different. Once you introduce a flame, you need to start testing all over.

Eugenia's right. Once you put a wick into that wax, all bets are off. Scents that throw well in a tart may not throw well in a wicked candle. And if you're wicking is wrong, you won't get a good throw or a good burn. You must test every FO, in very jar to find the right wick. There are no shortcuts, unfortunately. :)