test and no smell

I just started candle making and I am using a 16 oz jar. I am testing cbl125 and j223. by reading the forum sounds like the j223 is the winner as far as scent throw.

my problem is out of my 5 candle tests with both waxes and different fragrances, 3 of the fragrances are not strong at all...I double wicked these too(does this have anything to do with it?). the 2 that are strong is a j223 and a j25 with only 1 wick each.

Do some scents just cancel each other out when you mix them or something? Advice is greatly appreciated =)

Guest amynleebishop

Ok...... I have never used the cbl125 but I have used the J223 and it all depends on what scents you are using, scents weigh differently. Some scents are stronger and heavier than others and some scents just dont cut it. It also depends on where you are getting your scents from.

How much scent are you using per lb of wax?

Are you weighing your wax and scents?

I make mine in 16 oz mason jars and I have never made a candle that does not throw a great scent so I am not sure what your doing.

Can you give a little more info?

I weigh my wax @ 15 oz. put in about 1 fluid 1oz. (do I need to weigh the scent instead of measure it?)

I got my waxes from Bittercreek

the 2 that do not smell AT ALL are:

1. vanilla, patchouli, coconut and ocean mist

2. patchouli, mango mandarin type and pineapple blossom and coconut

I did one w/ ocean mist, patchouli and bitterberry and it smell nice! I don't get it...thank you for your help

1. Yes weigh your FO that may help

2. It could possibly be the FO's - Not knocking bittercreek - but oils are hit and miss

3. What types of wicks are you using? You may have to wick up or down or try a different wick.

Testing is a lot of work and takes alot of time...good luck

Guest amynleebishop

Yes, you need to weigh your scents in accordance with the amount of wax. For instance most scents are 1 oz per lb of wax and some wax's can hold up to 1.5oz of scent per lb. You said you weigh your wax in 15 oz? Go to Walmart or an office supply store and get a scale with a tare on it. Feel free to email me if you need any more help. amynleebishop@aol.com

Are you weighing your wax in the jar itself and then melting? What are you melting your wax in and what size wicks are you using?

Yes, you need to weigh your scents in accordance with the amount of wax. For instance most scents are 1 oz per lb of wax and some wax's can hold up to 1.5oz of scent per lb. You said you weigh your wax in 15 oz? Go to Walmart or an office supply store and get a scale with a tare on it. Feel free to email me if you need any more help. amynleebishop@aol.com

Are you weighing your wax in the jar itself and then melting? What are you melting your wax in and what size wicks are you using?

Confused as to this method? How and why would you do that? Wouldn't that make the jar messy since they are using J223? Can you elaborate on this method :shocked2:

Guest amynleebishop
I weigh the wax w/o the jar and I had measured the fragrance.

I am using 2-z51 wicks....(I have tested with other wicks too but these seem to melt the wax great for me.)

Hmmm. I have never heard of that wick.

1. What are you using to weigh the wax in b4 you melt it?

2. How much wax are you melting at one time?

3. Is the wick made for a 3 to 3.5 in diameter width?

I am still not sure what you meant by you are weighing your wax in 15 oz

:D is this at a time?

So you're using two 51z wicks and you aren't liking what you're getting out of the zinc wicks, correct?

Ditto what Mizbizzy and others have said. Weight the FO. Know the percentage of FO that your wax can take and try using that to see if it improves your results.

I don't think that scents cancel themselves out. I just think you might possibly aren't using enough. BCN, like anyone, has hit and misses, but the chance of putting three or four misses together at once isn't likely lol. Well I suppose it could happen, but ... :lipsrseal

Guest amynleebishop
Amy are you asking if she is taring before weighing the wax on the scale?

In a way but generally speaking, I am trying to figure out what she meant by she weighs her wax @ 15oz? She said she is measuring her scent and that she weighs her wax. Do you get it??

Hmmm. I have never heard of that wick.

1. What are you using to weigh the wax in b4 you melt it?

2. How much wax are you melting at one time?

3. Is the wick made for a 3 to 3.5 in diameter width?

I am still not sure what you meant by you are weighing your wax in 15 oz

:D is this at a time?

1. I am using a scale I bought @ Walmart (food scale)

2. Right now since I am testing I am just meling 15 oz @ a time with different fragrances.

3. the wick I am using is zinc 51-32-18, sorry about my bad abbreviation earlier. (3 to 4" dia.?)

Guest amynleebishop

Ok I am no longer confused. I thought you were making bigger quanities with using only 15oz at a time. Really the only thing I can say is what has already been said: just weigh your FO so that you are using the right amount of scent that your wax can hold. I have always used 1oz per lb, sometimes I push the limits and use 1.5 because I know the wax that I am using can hold it. You also can order sample packs from different suppliers because I have found that one supplier has a stronger version than another of my favs such as Baked Apple and that is important for me. I know you hate to hear this but just keep at it and what works, stick to it. Tweek it to your own satisfaction.

What temp are you adding your FO at? I found that you get best results when you add your FO when your wax is at 180 degrees. It binds with wax better. Also some FO, espiecally vanilla ones need to be stirred for a good couple minutes. Are you letting them cure for a few days? Also sometimes we get candlenose, and cant smell it. Let someone else smell it and see what they think. Good luck.

Yes I am adding 4 fragrances @ 1 time, do you recomend that? An earlier comment mentioned putting the FO in @ 180, what do you think? the directions I have found say to do it @ 160.
180 is pretty good. You don't want to put it in with the wax burning hot because it can cause bubbles in your jars or molds. Too cool and certain FOs might not mix well. As far as mixing 4 FOs at a time, I never heard of anyone doing that. I don't know if it's bad but it's unusual. My gut feeling is that you're better off focusing on the basic candlemaking at this point and saving fragrance blending for later.

180 is pretty good. You don't want to put it in with the wax burning hot because it can cause bubbles in your jars or molds. Too cool and certain FOs might not mix well. As far as mixing 4 FOs at a time, I never heard of anyone doing that. I don't know if it's bad but it's unusual. My gut feeling is that you're better off focusing on the basic candlemaking at this point and saving fragrance blending for later.

That's what I was thinking. I just started blending FOs. But that is only because I know what wax, wicks, jars, etc. are working with my FOs I already use. If I get a new FO then I test that out before I mix it up with another.

Also-- consider that what an oil smells like OOB is not necessarily what it will smell like when the candle is cured and test burned. So mixing em up before you know you may be wasting your time.

I use the CBL wax and love it. You do have to add your scent at a high temp though and mix well (as with all waxes). The CBL has awesome scent throw.

It's a mind twisting thing, candlemaking, but once you get a candle that throws fabulous, burns completely (no hang up) and no soot, you will be hooked. Testing, testing, testing can drive ya crazy, but it's also fun!

Yes I am adding 4 fragrances @ 1 time, do you recomend that? An earlier comment mentioned putting the FO in @ 180, what do you think? the directions I have found say to do it @ 160.

I think that is the root of your problem. There are fragrances that smell good on their own but do not work as a blend. Try them separately.