Which wicks do you like?

Hm. I went to the Braidway site (I already have the WU pdf), and the RoC information for zinc core was identical to WU.

HTP RoC was fairly different between Braidway and WU though, however yield was off as well. What would cause the yield to be noticeably different between the two companies?

The Braidway page I used to look at has been removed, so I guess that was old test data for the zincs. Now the two sites are in synch.

I don't see the different yields for HTP on the web pages. I noticed once that the PDF has some different stuff in it, maybe out of date. Here's where I'm looking.

http://www.apwicks.com/rate_chart_htp.htm

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/atkins_pearce_htp_wicks.php

I use the cotton wicks. Doesn't anyone use these anymore with their soy? ~Dana

I use the cotton wicks and just love them! I have tried all the other wicks mentioned on all the message boards and still go back to the cotton. You are not alone! :highfive:

What would cause the yield to be noticeably different between the two companies?

Perhaps it's crop differences between the two measurements. Densities, fiber lengths, etc. There is probably an acceptable variation standard for each wick size. Might be a good question for A&P. :wink2:

Perhaps it's crop differences between the two measurements. Densities, fiber lengths, etc. There is probably an acceptable variation standard for each wick size. Might be a good question for A&P. :wink2:
If my memory serves me right, A&P issued kind of an apology at one time, maybe last year or the year before. They adjusted the manufacturing of the HTP wick and it changed the burn qualities somewhat. I wonder if the yield disparity could have something to do with that. Maybe they retested at that point. Or maybe I hallucinated the whole thing.

If my memory serves me right, A&P issued kind of an apology at one time, maybe last year or the year before. They adjusted the manufacturing of the HTP wick and it changed the burn qualities somewhat. I wonder if the yield disparity could have something to do with that. Maybe they retested at that point. Or maybe I hallucinated the whole thing.

Oh yeah... I remember reading something of that sort!

Only thing I could find:

http://www.candlesupply.com/HTPwicks.html

• 1 month later...

I use RRD's. So far I've tried eco, LX CCD and hemp. LX all drowned in the soy, no matter how big I used. I put a 24 in a 1.5 inch diameter and it still drowned.

Eco and CCD were a bit to hot. RRD's were great. The hemp I am just now starting to test and it is lovely. It will take me a bit to test it but it is looking great. Good wide pool, slow burn, no mushroom.

Also it depends what wax you use. And for example I use 135 with only FO and usually use a 47 in a 6oz glass that is 3 inches across. But if I add any stearic then I have to go up a size. Also CBA needed a completely different wick in the same container so I had to use a ECO.

Which brand are you using?