Testing Burning

I had someone tell me that rather than pour different waxes in all the different size containers to test, that they poured scented, colored wax into a pan that had several different size wicks and then lite them to see which gave the best burn "diameter" for the diameter of their jar. It sure would save time and jars but has anyone heard this? Could it really be that simple? Ginger

You need to actually burn in the container you plan to use. The container could cause a down draft, dancing wick, etc. and you wouldn't know that by just burning a bunch of wicks in a pan!! It may give you a starting point for a wick size, but wouldn't be a true test for your jars. :cool2:

You need to actually burn in the container you plan to use. The container could cause a down draft, dancing wick, etc. and you wouldn't know that by just burning a bunch of wicks in a pan!! It may give you a starting point for a wick size, but wouldn't be a true test for your jars. :cool2:

I totally agree! After all you may save some time doing it the other way but to get 100% accurate information I would use your jars, you know you can wash them out and reuse them. ;)

Happy burning! :D

I always test mine in containers but when the lady mentioned this, I wondered if it would work or if she was halfa$$ testing her candles. This is someone I don't even know....one of those that you run into at a store and they strike up a conversation. It sounded good...too good. Thanks for your comments. Ginger

I usually wick 2 containers Im planning on using.. pour and the cure at least 24 hours then test burn for 4.. if Im not getting results I want I switch wicks by pulling out the wick that I origionally put in with a pair of plyers it saves me having to poke a hole through the wax and being crooked LOL then I get a perfect hole and the wick goes right in.. then after that its easy to change out wicks as I see what works for me.. hope this makes sense LOL

I had someone tell me that rather than pour different waxes in all the different size containers to test, that they poured scented, colored wax into a pan that had several different size wicks and then lite them to see which gave the best burn "diameter" for the diameter of their jar. It sure would save time and jars but has anyone heard this? Could it really be that simple? Ginger

That theory has been around for years. All it does it give you an idea how big the melt pool will be. Most suppliers have wick charts that tell you the same thing. Anyone who is using this method as a way to test isn't testing. They are just wasting wicks and wax.

IMHO,,,,,,,it's called 3 words,,,,,,,,LAZY and FIRE HAZARD! You can't put a wick in a pan of wax, burn it and get the CORRECT burn times, rate of FMP and scent throw. An open pan of wax ISN'T going to burn at the same rate as an 8oz square or smooth mason is. Nor is it going to give you the same results as a votive would. I can't believe someone would consider this a form of testing:mad: JMHO,,,,,Portia

Anyone that tries to cut corners on testing wicks and burning is a fire hazard waiting to happen! Test burning is the most important issue in candlemaking! If you are trying to find a way to get around testing because it takes to long, you shouldn't be making candles! These types of people give all of us candlemakers a bad name!!! UGH..this pee's me off!:mad: