Candle prices at Hallmark!!!!!!!!

scntdwik

Has anyone been into a Hallmark lately and noticed the prices of some

of the Candles they're selling?

I wandered in one today with a friend and of course, I have to look at the Candles anytime Im in a store...$30 for a 20oz and $24 for a 14oz in a deco looking jar. And ppl actually pay those kind of prices??????

Seeing the prices that Hallmark (and others) charge for candles should be a stout reminder to not sell yourself short!

I certainly realize that you can't charge more than your market will bear, however....take a chance and mark your candles up a bit more than you think you should. Then, go out and market them proudly. You might be pleasantly surprised how well your customer responds. We can be our own worst enemy when it comes to placing a value on the things we create.

Seeing the prices that Hallmark (and others) charge for candles should be a stout reminder to not sell yourself short!

I certainly realize that you can't charge more than your market will bear, however....take a chance and mark your candles up a bit more than you think you should. Then, go out and market them proudly. You might be pleasantly surprised how well your customer responds. We can be our own worst enemy when it comes to placing a value on the things we create.

You got that right! $5 prices on jelly jars make would-be customers think your candles are no good.

We criticize Hallmark and others for their expensive candles and sometimes expect that sellers at craft shows ought to be getting the same prices because they consider what they make better than what Hallmark offers.

A lot of it is just how you market yourself, but honestly, most people would not be willing to shell out as much for homemade candles at a craft show as they would for a candle purchased in a well-lit brick and mortar store.

Most crafters do not have anywhere close to the same expenses Hallmarks and other retail shops do. Rent can run in the thousands; they have to pay commercial rates for their utilities (which are substantially more than residential rates); they have advertising costs; they also have additional inventory in their shops worth thousands, hundreds of thousands, and for larger chains, millions; they also have insurance to pay which of course, costs more than a homeowners policy (that is not even aware the homeowner is making candles or b&B); they have employees to pay among other expenses.

Since the Hallmark and other retailers don't make their own candles, they have to pay wholesale for them, so assume they paid $12 for that $24 candle. You might be able to make the same candle for $3. Now who do you think is really making more money if you could sell that same candle for $24--even if you sold it for $12? When you look at it like that, the $24 candle in the Hallmark store doesn't really sound like they're asking too much for it.

WOW I also understand it is the market and area you live.The area of the state I live you will not get more than $5.00 for a 8 ounce JJ but the other end of the state those same jars(just slightly larger) a man said they are $12.00.He could not believe the difference and what I sold my candles for.Of course I got a sale from him and sure I will get more later.Just amazes me.

For selling myself short in charging $5.00 I don't think I am.I get sales and people do not say my candles are of lower quality because they are cheaper(not cheap)That is the market here. I have customers come back over and over at shows and tell me these are the best candles.Some gave them as gifts and said their friends said the same.A GREAT CANDLE.

For the high market up at Hallmark they do not do the work and make them like we do and they do have large overhead.BUT some candlemakers who are in business themselves that make and also sell in a store they rent also have the same problem.They did not buy wholesale but they have to raise prices SOME to make a profit.I know someone who is opening a craft store but does not make her candles.She ordered some (wholesale) and got the shafts.So she is out that money.It is still the name.Hallmark is huge and a very well known company.Some will buy their candles and I am sure the jars are so PRETTY and much more expensive.Nice attractive unique gift for family or friend.I try not to pay more than $2.00 for a jar because after filling it I know it will be hard to get my money back.Believe me I go into Wal Mart and see some of their jars and think they are so neat.BUT I dont want the product inside of that jar.That is what sells.Just like someone mentioned she was given a candle from HALLMARK and did not have any scent whatsoever.

LynnS

I think you've got the right attitude Lynn. You know your market. Some people never understand that no matter how great their candle is, it doesn't mean people will be willing to pay over a certain amount for them.

It's easier to sell a candle for $5, than it is for $20, or even $12. I've seen people at craft shows (and wholesale shows) that ask way too much for their stuff, and as a result end up not making any sales.

For some people I think it's a matter of pride, like their personal self worth is tied to how much they can get for their candles, and they don't really concern themselves with the actual market value of their product.

Thank You Sockmonkey.I feel if I get that sale now, next year or maybe before I will get another sale from these people.I have people over and over come back at shows.I wish I would see them all year but some live quite a distance.One lady was visiting relatives and lives in Colorado but stopped and chose my candles to purchase.I am sure she had been to others booths.She just loved sunflower of all the fall ones I had.After a whiff of that one she was sold.

The only one thing I think I MIGHT be selling myself short and could make more is my site.BUT Most of the people I know and meet at shows get my card and I don't want to raise prices for that reason.Why would they want to buy more if they see my site is higher?The first thing people wanted who either brought or just looked wanted my card.Also the jars have my site on it too.I kept forgetting to put cards in bags but website addy is on the jar.

Hey we put all that work in making them we don't want to have to haul all of them back home.One lady I heard was selling her soy for $2.00.Now I made the same in sales as she did so what good did it do.She lost alot that way.Either people will think not a quality candle and she just made even because it cost about that much or more to make.

LynnS

You can raise the price on your site. You could give the people who buy one of your candles in person your card with a discount code on it to use when they check out on the web. That way, they continue to get the lower price that they expect, and you won't be missing out on extra dollars from first time buyers.

Boy, I've got to post to this one! Sockmonkey is absolutely correct. We have an in-line store in a large mall. Competing with us is a Hallmark and a Coach House Gifts, plus about twenty others who sell a line along with their regular mdse. Wicks n Sticks closed when their rent doubled (they were paying $9000 a month). Everyone else in the mall except us pays wholesale prices and shipping; they mark their candles up generally 2 1/2 times to allow margin for sales. We are fortunate to have a much lower cost and to be able to sell cheaper and still make a larger profit per unit sold. Business is tuff! Our rent is in the thousands per month. All of the merchants cooperate with each other and send customers to the other stores if they can't help them. So, bottom line is ... it's all relative to your market. Lots of people come and go here; some don't last a week. We have had candles and scents that we couldn't give away and some that sell hot, regardless. Paying attention to your market, great products and customer responsiveness are key.