Bubble Bar Experts.. Help!

sandyrose

Not too awful for my very first try. But boy did those bubbles dissappear FAST! What could I try to increase the bubbling and make them last longer? Increase the SLS a little maybe?

Below is the recipe I'm using... I made a 4 oz bars and they dried nicely, crumbled nicely.. the bubbles started out with a bang (needed to use the whole 4oz bar to fill the tub with bubbles.. I'm not sure if that's right since I've never actually used bubble bars before) but the foam whimped out too wayyy quickly. :sad:

I'm asking cuz you all are so much more experienced than me and I'm gonna be in the poor house with all this experimenting I've been doing. Watcha think?

1 cup baking soda

1/2 cup corn starch

1/3 cup SLS

1/2 cup Citric acid

4 tbsp Grapeseed oil

1 tsp FO

mica

Looks like you don't have enough SLS and totally lack glycerin (it helps matain the bubbles...I think)

try this: This is the first recipe that I tried, it worked so I just stuck with it. ; )

1 cup baking soda

1 cup SLS

1/3 cup liquid glycerin

1/3 Cup Cream of Tartar (or corn starch)

Fragrance and color

I'll sometimes add a little grapeseed oil (say, sub three T or so Glycerin for grapeseed oil), and have never tried citric acid myself.

I found this recipe online over a year ago, forgot where, but it works well. I do bars that are about 4.5 oz 1/3 bar gives a good bubble bath, 1/2 bar will bubble like crazy. I left water in the tub to see how long they would last once I got out and they were still there hours later. I don't think that I will try a full bar, heh.

The bars are dense, and need to be sliced, rather than just breaking a chunk off.

I have not even tried the rolled look, and I have no idea how it would work. My mix is pretty crumbly.

That would be a ? for someone who has been at it longer than I have.

I just stuff it all into a mold and pop it out,then let it dry a day or so. You could do a swirl look by taking half the mixture, dying it it and *gently* mixing it back in... I have not tried that, either, perhaps the next batch.

Instead of Glycerin i used

Cocamidopropyl betaine, Works like a charm.

Looks like you don't have enough SLS and totally lack glycerin (it helps matain the bubbles...I think)

try this: This is the first recipe that I tried, it worked so I just stuck with it. ; )

1 cup baking soda

1 cup SLS

1/3 cup liquid glycerin

1/3 Cup Cream of Tartar (or corn starch)

Fragrance and color

I'll sometimes add a little grapeseed oil (say, sub three T or so Glycerin for grapeseed oil), and have never tried citric acid myself.

I found this recipe online over a year ago, forgot where, but it works well. I do bars that are about 4.5 oz 1/3 bar gives a good bubble bath, 1/2 bar will bubble like crazy. I left water in the tub to see how long they would last once I got out and they were still there hours later. I don't think that I will try a full bar, heh.

The bars are dense, and need to be sliced, rather than just breaking a chunk off.

I think she is using SLS.

Ok, just had to experiment with the sodium lactate idea. Since I did not have any glycerin but a whole lot of SL, I poured in 1/4 cup into my usual recipe. It created just what I have been looking for. I was able to use the wax paper idea and roll some out, and then cut into 1.5 inch puffs. I will post pics later, but looks like I found something that works for me!:yay: Off to Home Depot to find some PVC pipes and a dowel so I dont have to roll them, just stuff into the pipe, push out, and slice!

I'm taking so many bubble baths it's crazy. LOL! The batch I made was "Desert Pear" (a mixture of NGstrawberry and NG melon Mist) Smells just like the Pricky pear margaritas I had in Arizona! YUMMO!

The only problem was I used a Leaf green mica. I wanted a mottled look so I mixed half non colored and half green. The green spots might look like mold to some people.. But I'm not selling these.. they're for me. I'm still just in the testing stages. I wont use this green again.

But thanks so much for your help! I can't wait to make more with more colors & scents.

CARRIE: What is the difference between the two?

Here is an article on SLS. http://www.healthy-communications.com/slsmostdangerousirritant.html

I found that searching the archives.

The article seems a little over the edge but who knows. It does warrant more research.

I've added SLSa to sugar scrub and came out with a product that doesn't bubble but is more lotiony feeling and almost foamy when applied.