Craft Show - What to ask when inquiring about?

SoapInTheCity

I ask the above questions....plus how many other candle vendors are they allowing. I started this because I travelled 200 miles for this "big" show and every 2-3 tables was a candle maker. None of us did really good. Fortunately I was able to break even....but a waste of my time.

is it juried, do they allow non-crafters in, if juried-how?, do they allow home party vendors, are there helpers, security if it is a 2 day show, rain date, how far do you have to unload from your space, what are the setup times, what kind of advertising do they do

Estimated crowds and advertisement are huge for me. If outside, I really need to have my booth face north or south...if east/west, then the sun really comes in the tents and does a number on my products. I always like to see a layout/map of the event. If it is an event that has been held before, I ask for names of other participants so I can ask they what their experiences have been. If it is a two day show, ask about security.

The biggest thing to ask is how are they going to advertise? What kind of directional signs are they going to have. Do they have flyers for you to hand out? If you need electricity ask if they are going to have that available. I also ask how many other candle people are signed up. Last year I was in a small town doing a craft show and there were six other candle co. there. and only 20 vendors. I only did well because I was next to Santa who was having his pic. taken with kids.

If it is indoor, does it include A/C? lol. I never dreamed that an indoor show would not have a/c. My candles didn't do so well, needless to say. That was about a year and a half ago, maybe longer. Most shows have a/c, but u may want to check just to be sure. I live in the South, so I was used to it, but my candles werent <wink>

Everyone has given wonderful advice so far. I would ask if they allow mass produced items, or if it's handcrafted items.

I bought space at a huge craft fair this summer that was advertised as "handcrafted items only", and it was a juried show. Imagine my surprise after setting up and seeing a booth selling BEANIE BABIES.

It was my first time there, and all day long I heard customers commenting about how this fair used to be much better. So, I guess another good question to ask the promoter is what percentage of vendors are returning vendors. If the numbers are low, that's a very telling sign.