8 oz. tureen jar

The 8 oz. tureen jar is giving me a major headache. Has anyone had any luck wicking it? I've tried soy and parrafin waxes and all sorts of wicks. The flame is really high and jumpy on all of them and I'm also not getting a good melt. I poured some new ones today with bigger wicks - I think LX-24s in EcoSoya Advanced.

I saw an old post that mentioned double-wicking it. Is anyone really doing this? It seems like a small jar for two wicks.

Thanks!

Kristen :confused:

Hey, hey, someone to share my misery with!

I'm working on it too. I triple wicked with zinc, can't remember size.

Melted fully in, oh, about 15 minutes. Not good. But, hey, maybe two would work, or three tea light wicks?

Ok, I said I'm working on it.

Be happy to share if I have any new discoveries.

Definitely not a single wick job, though. I tried all of the LX and a few CD as well. Looks like the zincs may be my best bet, at least I got a good melt and throw, surprisingly.

I have been working with this jar. So far my best success has been with J223 from Candle Science. I have only tested a couple of scents--Pink Sugar and Dreamcatcher from AH. I have used both the Eco 4 and LX 16. I tried the LX 24 with SOS Strawberry Parfait, but it smoked.

I tried 6006 (from CS) with an LX 16 using Dreamcatcher. It smoked and sooted. My notes with the CB 135 and black cherry are incomplete, which leads me to believe that it was a garbage test! Wish I could be more help.

mizbizzyb, Deb, and Marty--what kind of wax are you using? I still have another case of these jars (I really like them!) but have taken a frustration break from them. I wanted to single wick, but at this point I'll go with any wax or any wick just to have a nice candle!

• 1 month later...

I have spent the last couple of days re-reading and searching for any updates on wicking this jar. I've been working and testing for a couple of months now without getting the results I want and need.

Most of my testers haven't turned out to be good reporters. It's so bad that I can't trust anything unless I burn it myself. I feel like I'm back at square one. One tester kept telling me she was getting a perfect burn, full melt pool, great scent throw, etc. She had 2 made with j223 and pink sugar from AH. One was with an eco 4; the other with an lx16. She has the tester sheet I gave her compiled from info from this forum. She professes to know what constitutes a quality candle. I was getting all happy about it.

She returned my "cleaned" containers. I was going to use them to pour more testers. However, I even though they seemed perfectly clean, I noticed a bit of soot on each of them and got decided to pour 2 more exactly like that.

The eco 4 wick wick had a black flame. I continued to let it burn just to see what the result would be. I got a full melt pool in about 3 hours and extinguished it. No soot at all on the jar. Only a tiny bit of hangup.

The lx 16 seemed to be burning beautifully. Later during the first burn, I did notice wisps of black smoke. Not a lot, but when I looked hard I could see them. Got a full melt pool in about 3 hours. Not a hint of soot.

Beautiful scent throw. On second burns, both had a bit of wispy black smoke but left no soot at all. A small amount of hangup with the eco 4. On the third burn, I got a little soot on the rim of the eco 4 container. None on the lx16; both had wisps of occasional black smoke.

I have also tried this wax in a 16 oz apoth with the same diameter opening (3") with eco 10 and 12. Both of these smoked and sooted.

I really want to single wick this jar. I only have 2 lbs at best of this wax left. Could someone give me a pointer on what to try with my limited amount of wax?

I also did a replacement on one tester of Wild Berry (AH) from an eco 4 to a rrd37. It went out. Don't know if it just slipped cause it was shallow or what. I was disgusted at that point.

Sorry this is so long. I just need some advice!

I just tested one the other day - paraffin - 2 htp 62 - fo was wisteria - which is a very strong scent and it burned wonderful and scented a very large room. I will be using this jar and also the 11 or 12 oz which ever you want to call it - I using 7 oz and 11 oz - for a fund raiser and I knew if it burned good using the wisteria it would work for all others. byw - wisteria really smells good to me.

The reason why I've kept working with this jar for so long is that my ladies aux wants to do a fundraiser for breast cancer. It's a pretty little jar and the wax pink ribbons fit perfectly on each side of a single wick. Also, I'm afraid double wicking will cause it to burn too quickly. I wanted the j223 because of the better scent throw and shorter cure time.

As I reported before, I've not been able to single wick with 6006 either. I did a tester with 6006 using a 51-32-18z last week and Sex on the Beach. Got a nice strong scent throw, no soot, no smoke, but a little too much hangup that never caught up.

I have a good bit of 6006, so I'm not quite ready to give up on that. I also have cb135 and cb adv. I just really need to get something going with this soon. Been working on this one container for a few months now. And, as I said, I just can't trust any of my testers anymore. They gladly take the candles, tell me they completely understand how serious the testing is, and trot away. Evasive with me when I follow up.

I've never tried wisteria. So far, everyone has voted on Pink Sugar and with the wicking problems, I've been kinda stuck on that. I would love to be able to offer more scents.

I use GL 70/30 wax in this size jar and have had GREAT burns with 2-CD6's and one 60-44-18z. Both burns were totally clean - no hangup at all, no soot, jars not too hot to touch. The zinc mushrooms a bit, but not too bad, plus it's the only wick I've found that I can single wick this candle with and end up with a clean jar.

Thank you, all! Ann, I am going to give the cb135 and cb adv a whirl with a few testers today and try with those. If they don't work, I'll have to break down and order the gl 70/30.

I just lit a tester I poured yesterday with cb 135 and a single htp104. Immediately the wick has black smoke. I am using a different scent this time cause I had just enough from another candle to fill the tureen. Crap!

• 4 months later...

I am also using the 8 oz. tureen jar. My wax is Golden Brand 415 (soy) and I have had good results w/HTP 1312 or 62-51-18z (1-wick) I really did not want to use a zinc wick in my soy candles, but I do like the 62, verses the HTP 1312. I had to order the HTP's out of state which meant paying for the wicks and then shipping was almost as much as the wicks, so I am thinking I am going to stick w/the 62's, since I can get them locally. I don't dye my candles, just FO and wax (if that is any help to you) I have some extra wicks, so if you want me to send you some, I will. Just e-mail me: mel-ken@swbell.net.