Help! 444 and 464 Questions

:o Hello Everyone,

I have not posted here in a very long time although I have been making candles for many years.

I am needing to change from J223/Soy blend to a different wax and am considering the 444 and 464 as a complete replacement.

How are these waxes doing? Has anyone tried them both and can they compare? I prefer a one pour.

I appreciate your responses. BTW, Peak is my closest supplier.

Thanks in advance

There are alot of threads in this section on these two waxes that you can read where folks posted their results. I tested the 444 and no matter what temp I poured at, I got lots of airpockets and sink holes. I could fix it by poking relief holes and zapping with the heat gun but that was too time consuming to me. I wasn't impressed with the cold throw either.

There are alot of threads in this section on these two waxes that you can read where folks posted their results. I tested the 444 and no matter what temp I poured at, I got lots of airpockets and sink holes. I could fix it by poking relief holes and zapping with the heat gun but that was too time consuming to me. I wasn't impressed with the cold throw either.

Meridith:

Have you tried the reformulated 444 wax? It sets up alot better and the cold throw has improved immensely. Soycandle.com is carrying the reformulated 444 wax, if you want to give it a try.

Personally, I was not impressed with the 464. Half way through burning the candle, the scent throw was minimal to none. I know others have had good luck with the 464, I didn't. Just my opinion. HTH

I tried the old formulations and liked the 464 better but still wasn't what I was looking for. I've got the new formulations of both waxes coming so there is still hope :D I've done a lot of searches on both waxes and found pretty good reviews. Not sure how recent they are though but would be nice to hear some updates!

I am using the new 444 version and I still get air pockets and sink holes at every pour temp I have tried. However a heat gun fixes this right up and the finish is really nice once you zap it with the gun. It also has a great hot throw for me. Cold throw is so so. It really depends on the FO you use I guess because some of the scents do have a good cold throw.

Mellisa at Soycandle.com has it very reasonable but shipping is a big ouch!

Meridith:

Have you tried the reformulated 444 wax? It sets up alot better and the cold throw has improved immensely. Soycandle.com is carrying the reformulated 444 wax, if you want to give it a try.

Personally, I was not impressed with the 464. Half way through burning the candle, the scent throw was minimal to none. I know others have had good luck with the 464, I didn't. Just my opinion. HTH

No I haven't tried it yet. I have a sample of the 464 to try but haven't gotten to that one yet either. I read where lots of folks have said the same thing - the throw peters out towards the end. I did test the 449 and had better luck with it than the 444 and found the cold throw to be much better on that one. Hot throw on the 444 was descent but I want a great cold throw since that helps to sell the candle. I didn't have as many problems with air pockets and sink holes either with the 449. I have been considering changing to the 449 since I make my own proprietary blend it would be cheaper to use the 449 for me in the money I would save on buying my extra additives. But I think my own blend gives a better throw so I am sticking with it. If it aint broke why fix it, right. But that doesn't stop me from continually buying samples and getting other waxes to try and make a better candle.