what am i doing wrong?????

jenkindred

first of all...i hope i attatched my pic correctly. you all make this look so easy and i need ya'lls professional help!! i'm having a hard time with my rustics and it is driving me nuts! here's the scoop.. 1343 melted with 3tbs stearic per lb. 1oz fo per lb. heated to 175. cooled to 150. poured in a room temp seamless aluminum mold. poured a little and "swooshed" then poured the rest quickly. let cool at room temp over night. i've done this a dozen times and still can't get it right. PLEASE HELP!:mad:

post-3686-139458408839_thumb.jpg

post-3686-139458408914_thumb.jpg

I'm a newbie so I'm just here for moral support until the troops arrive. :D I made 2 rustics so far. The first one I did the same way you do and it gave me more of a marbled glaze over my candle (which I actually kinda like) but I was going for a rustic so the 2nd one I made I put the mold in the freezer before I poured and I got texture that time. Maybe that will work for you?

i think they look good even if they aren't as "rustic" as you would like

Will be watching your post with interest. I've just tried rustics using the seamless aluminum molds with limited success. Yours look way better than mine. Followed the same recipe as you did. I was wondering if the aluminum mold was the problem. Maybe the folks that get the great rustic look use the tin molds.

Awww...quit beating yourself up! You seem to be doing everything you're supposed to be doing, and I think your rustics are very beautiful! The turquoise one is wonderful, and the purple is beautiful as well! Nice job, and keep at it...you'll get to where you want to be!

Hi:

I try for the first time to make a rustic and :embarasse uuuppppssss! Well first I got the line ( the one about pouring to slow) then. I couldn't get it out of the mold, how are you supposed to cool it? in the refrigeratoer or out of it?

I enjoy it so much that I just took it as a learning experience, hahahaha, tha't is what I'm telling my self.

What is best?

Zonia

Eugenia!!! I have been waiting for your response...because you ARE the rustic QUEEN!!!! i don't chill or freeze the mold...but is it ok to put the cooled candle in the mold in the freezer for a few minutes to help the release? what i'm displeased about is a few things. i get a half rustic and half mottled candle it seems. also the swooshing lines seem to be very noticeable and not "smooth" does that make sense? they just don't turn out like yours!!!!!!!! i think i could be doing something wrong with the swooshing part??

dcrome---thanks..you're sweet!!

If you don't want any mottle, add a pinch of vybar. It won't effect the rustic at all. Putting in the freezer for 5 min at a time is OK to aid in mold release, it they are stubborn but cool them on the counter.

The cooler temp will give you the ridges, that's the cold our part. The stearic gives the rustic part. It's impossible to determine how the stearic will look. Some times it's all over, others it's not.

The one thing I learned for sure is that it's best not to start with a dark shade. If the frost sticks to the mold in places, the candle is butt ugly on top if the color is dark.