Shipshewana on the road..

skg

Its a huge flea market/retail outdoor market in Indiana.. but they also take it "on the road" traveling to different states, doing indoor shows. You can apply to be a vendor. The fee isnt that bad, and they claim to have around 20,000 attend.

The waiting list is very, very long, years in fact. My friend has a cottage there, I go every year. You do not have to "take it on the road" These people just go to the huge flea markets around the country, that is their job. It's not like a mass transit. Some just go to certain locations for the season. Thousands of people attend, literally, the 2 days a week the flea market is open.

The flea market has become very disappointing. Mostly mass produced junk, tea shirts, socks, sold on TV stuff, dollar store junk etc, very few homemade crafters left. I do like the kitchen items you can get at a fraction of the cost. Overall, the flea market had become a little china. Things like garden items are cheap as well. If you planned on selling candles, I am afraid you wouldn't do very well. The cost of these booths are high considering if you do not show up for the 2 days a week, you are still charged the fee and you have to be there from May until October. The vendors sleep in their campers on site, or else you would have to pack everything up each week and cart it back and forth., not to mention renting a hotel room at least the one night.

It is still fun to walk around this huge, huge place. I don't buy nearly what I used to though, not even close.

Now, the shops in town are different, but very, very expensive. Every brand name B&B and candle companies can be found there. They are open year round. Outside of town you can find real bargains. The Amish sell hand crafted items cheap.

As mentioned, the bakeries are exceptional. Those cinnamon buns........

From looking at photos from 2005 shows, it looks like about 80% of the products being sold are mass produced/inported things.

Which could be good or bad-if peeps are looking for handcrafted then you would stand out, but if they are looking for cheap, then well....... ;)

I'd still like to go to one as a consumer I love walking around flea markets and checking everything out. :)

Have not sold at one, but I did attend one this year in Valparaiso, IN. I saw 2 candle vendors there among a sea of mass-produced T-shirts, socks, home interior, imported trinkets, tools and flea market type items. The place was one big cluster f#*% of people. I had to get out of there it was so crowded. Before I left, I did almost get in a tussle with the nice lady selling 100% natural candles. I said, Oh...so all of your candles are soy and made with EOs ? She replied with an enthusiastic, YES!...all my candles are 100% natural. I said, well, that's funny because I never knew there was a Lovespell, or Downey Fresh EO. She looked me right in the eye and said, yes mam...I work with one of the top chemists in the country. I forced myself to just walk away without incident.

Have not sold at one, but I did attend one this year in Valparaiso, IN. I saw 2 candle vendors there among a sea of mass-produced T-shirts, socks, home interior, imported trinkets, tools and flea market type items. The place was one big cluster f#*% of people. I had to get out of there it was so crowded. Before I left, I did almost get in a tussle with the nice lady selling 100% natural candles. I said, Oh...so all of your candles are soy and made with EOs ? She replied with an enthusiastic, YES!...all my candles are 100% natural. I said, well, that's funny because I never knew there was a Lovespell, or Downey Fresh EO. She looked me right in the eye and said, yes mam...I work with one of the top chemists in the country. I forced myself to just walk away without incident.

I lived in Valpo for about 16 years. We left in 1990. They didn't have a flea market when I was there.