got a picture of "Dan's Bands"?

soapmom25

I've seen a couple references to these, but when I looked on MMS there's no picture (could be my browser, but I didn't even see a link for a picture) ~ so I was hoping somebody here might have some around that they could show me what they are. We currently buy shrink wrap by the roll and DH cuts & seals it to make special sized packaging for a few of our soaps. Would LOVE to find something that could be assembled quicker :D

When I shrink them, the holes on the end sometimes come up over the bar, you can see it at the bottom of the bar in this image....

Down the side of the bar is the little perforated strip to tear the plastic off. I just slapped on a clear lable and voila! Its not the best packaging, but I had bad morning (aka - all day) sickness and wanted to get it done as simply and quickly as possible lol

315_large_image.jpg

I do not really care for them, myself! They cost .04 cents each. I buy a 1500 foot roll and cut my own, that way, the cost is 1/4 of .01 cent each. Yes, I said 16 for the price of 1 Dan's bands! I like how the shrink wrap I use shrinks better than Dan's Bands do. Just what works for me. :wink2:

ETA:

Here is a pic. of mine wrapped in the tubing I cut;

soapequipment014.jpg

SMM - do I need a heat gun for the shrink wrap tube or will a hair dryer do it?

Just my opinion but I prefer a heat gun - mine recently broke and I had to use my hair dryer to finish the job and it did work but not a smooth as the heat gun. Bought another heat gun the next day at Wally-World for less than $25.00.

thanks guys! I think we'll stay with our current system since DH is getting pretty good & quick at it anyway! Sometimes extra cost is worth the savings in time though, so I'll try crunching some numbers and see where we come out ;)

Funky Monkey ... our shrink tubing comes in a huge roll similar to trash bags, food saver film, etc. ~ you just pull out a big length of it, cut it a little larger than what you want to shrink and go from there. Sometimes we've used it just like that, other times have used the sealer to seal the edges and make the "bag" smaller so it shrinks tighter. It is very versatile :) We get ours from PackCo. ~ $20.00 and less for a roll of 1000 feet + depending on the width you buy.

regarding the heating of it .... we use a heat gun. We started with a hair dryer and decided to go ahead and dig out the heat gun when we moved production out of the house and into our shop and we wished we would have done it sooner! The shrink tightens up SOOOO much prettier with the heat gun ~ apples & oranges, no comparison that the heat gun is far superior. DH uses and "ove glove" so he can hold the soap while he's heating/shrinking.

What size tubing is that?

I do not really care for them, myself! They cost .04 cents each. I buy a 1500 foot roll and cut my own, that way, the cost is 1/4 of .01 cent each. Yes, I said 16 for the price of 1 Dan's bands! I like how the shrink wrap I use shrinks better than Dan's Bands do. Just what works for me. :wink2:

ETA:

Here is a pic. of mine wrapped in the tubing I cut;

soapequipment014.jpg