First Up Canopy?

beesweet

Has anyone purchased the blue First Up Canopy sold through Walmart? I have a show coming up next month and saw it today, but haven't found much information online regarding water-resistance and so on.

Here's a link: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4664265

The store also has sidewalls available for purchase separately for $35 or so.

I don't have experience with it at a show, but I can tell you that my husband's friend brought his over one of the weekends that we had a really bad storm and it stayed put - except for the roof which filled up with water and fell through the frame.

Considering that there was 30mph winds that night I think it did pretty good! It was extremely, I mean EXTREMELY easy to put up as my husband's friend did it himself & anything that can't be completed easily, he doesn't bother with lol.

Thanks for the info. The roof falling in concerns me a bit since it always rains at least once at this show and strong winds are common. It's usually light rain, though, so that might be ok. One of my booth neighbors has an EZ-up and has problems with her roof filling up so she tosses a large tarp over it if rain is expected to help it run off. Maybe that would work just in case it rains overnight.

Color isn't an issue. I've had brown, green, and silver in the past and my booth neighbor has a barn red one.

I think I'll go ahead and buy it next week, set it up, and see how much damage I can do. I really like that the sides can be purchased and, if I'm reading the box correctly on the wind curtain sidewalls, the price will be around $140 for the canopy and side walls that go all the way to the ground. Much easier than the rigged setup I've had for years. :laugh2:

I have a First Up canopy. It has been fine for me. The top is NOT waterproof. I recommend a spray waterproofing. I had it up for a 2-day show last year and had issue with dew dripping through.

I'm looking for sidewalls for it. Where did you find them as I haven't seen them on-line.

Oh, and the "wheeled carry bag so you can easily tote it" is a farce. It doesn't wheel well, but does have handles that make it fairly easy to carry!

Uggghhh...well, scratch that, then, if yours is the blue one in the picture. :( The sporting goods guy opened it and the papers inside said that the canopy was "water-resistant". I forget the exact wording but it had a blurb about keeping a small group dry and safe from the elements. :mad:

Our local Walmart has sidewalls and also the mesh walls, sand bags, and stakes.

What about an EZ Up canopy? You would be spending about $50 more (from $140) and getting 3-4 sides with it? And they offer different grades of canopies. They are water resistant also. They had a BIG problem last year, as many of their canopies were NOT water resistant as advertised and printed on the package. I had purchased three new ones (Express II) and sold my older (non leaking) ones. However, after I contacted EZ Up, they sent me three new, non leaking tops. I did treat the seams with Scotchguard though, just as an added security.

Also on these type of canopies, the legs go straight down. There are some out there where the legs go outward and downward, which can cause problems when you are only given a 10x10 space at a packed or crowded show and your canopy legs are protruding into anther crafter's booth. (I have had this happen on numerous occasions.)

I have never experienced a show dictating the color canopy I must use. However, selling candles, I would prefer the white to reflect the light. I have been under the ones with dark tops and they are a bit warmer underneath.

And as with any canopy, you must weight it down. Mother Nature's Wind does not play fair with the canopies! Especially when coupled with Rain! LOL

I have also seen crafters using either the swimming noodles or hula hoops that they put into each corner at the top of the canopy to raise the material to decrease the likelihood of water pocketing at the corners, as the water weight can ruin a canopy very quickly!

HTH.

My current canopy is one of those with the legs that angle out and I hate it. Our spaces are big at our shows (at least 15x15) so that wasn't a problem, it is just too difficult and time-consuming to put up and take town. Plus, it is showing signs of wear. It is made out of tightly woven plastic similar to tarps and it is finally beginning to have small frayed spots. Also, there is a loss of space since I believe the dimensions are measured by the legs and NOT the top. Not to mention, I'm a clutz who trips over the legs numerous times during a show. :laugh2:

Unfortunately, I've called around and there is nowhere that has the ez-ups in stock. The closest was Sam's at 90 miles.

We've decided to go ahead and get it, water it down and see what happens. The walmart guy said we could bring it back if it leaks since the literature states that it is water-resistant. I'll post back next week with my findings. Hmmm...may dig out the pool noodles and see how they work, too. We have a few old ones that are starting to flake if they haven't gone into the trash yet. Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to announce that the Scotchguard worked fine. Now, if I had only found time to Scotchguard the walls... When closing up for the night, make sure nothing on the tables actually touch the walls...that includes skirts. I left some papers on a table and they were soaked through this morning...no great loss and lesson learned.

We got it, put it up halfway, and sprayed the heck out of it with water and let it dry. The only damp spots we found were right on the seams but no actual water came through even with higher pressure. So we left it up overnight to seal it the next day. When I took the dog out at 3 a.m., I walked under it and touch the ceiling and water poured down my arm from the condensation! I did notice a note inside not to let anything touch the walls because of this.

Did it rain or do you think it was condensation? I wonder if Scotchguard would even help that? My other tents would have minor condensation and dampness but water didn't run off like that!

Guess I'd better do those walls anyway, thanks for the tip. :)

It was just condensation. I got no leaks from the roof even at the seams...'course I didn't touch it, either. :D I had two skirts actually touching the sides and they got damp. I posted pics in my result thread. The booth was pretty full and to only have 2 tables get damp was a good thing. I'm going to stake the walls out in the backyard and spray them with the scotchguard, too.

What I started doing with my items at night to keep the dew/water off of them is to cover them with the thin plastic drop cloths. They come in 100 feet rolls, perforated every ten feet. You can find at Walmart. I think the price is about $6 per pack. It has been well worth it for me. I can get several usages from each piece.

HTH.

I have, errr, had, tons of thin plastic tablecloths from the dollar store and I always ALWAYS cover every single inch of exposed product then clip them in place. That reminds me that I lost a few after covering some things on my porch during a bad storm last spring and need more. It's a little late in the year to find them so I will check out those dropcloths, thanks! :cheesy2:

Definitely don't touch anything! :laugh2:

ETA: Congrats on your show and niiiicceee booth!