Oils for oil burners

I've been searching for an answer to this but can't come up with anything definate. I would like to add oils/oil burners to my line, but I'm having trouble determining which oils to use for this. For some reason, I had it in my mind that I would have to use EOs instead of FOs.

I don't want to do light rings or anything like that, just oil burners, where you fill the well with water and add 5-10 drops of oil, heated with a tealight. Can I use regular FOs for this or would they not be strong enough? Or would EOs be too strong?

I apologize if this is a silly question, I just don't want to burn my house down! DH just hates it when I do that....:undecided

Just curious...what was the answer?

If you use FO you can use up to 10 drops and if you use EO, up to 4 or 5 drops (adding the oils to the water-filled well that is).

I already have wax melts and wanted something a little different for my line - these seem to be neat and clean as long as people follow directions, which I will make sure are extremely clear in a can't-miss spot.

If you use FO you can use up to 10 drops and if you use EO, up to 4 or 5 drops (adding the oils to the water-filled well that is).

I already have wax melts and wanted something a little different for my line - these seem to be neat and clean as long as people follow directions, which I will make sure are extremely clear in a can't-miss spot.

If you use 100% FO or if you use water & FO and the water evaperates and only oil is left in the dish, it will get burnt on the glass and hard to clean. I have also seen the oil get googy & sticky in the dish.

ETA - Some oils have low Flash Points and should not be used in Tealight Burners. Please know your FO Flash Points before using.

I know you said you have wax melts & want something different, but I stick with what I have tested as tried & true and safe, wax melts.

decades before the first tart was poured, people were warming oils. it is still popular to this day.

i prefer to add water to the warmer for some of reasons already mentioned.

you must practice safety with candles, tarts, fragrance oils, wax, presto pots, and turkey fryars too. warming oils is not any different imo.

Oil burners are just as safe as candles if you use them correctly and are vigilant to what you are doing. If I want a quick throw on a new FO, I put some water in my oil burner and test it out....quick and easy without the wait of pouring a tart or votive!! Also if a have a tart going and want to try a new blend, I'll add another FO or EO to the tart and see what the throw combination is like. Oil burners are very useful if, like everything else, it's used properly!! :wink2:

Oil burners are just as safe as candles if you use them correctly and are vigilant to what you are doing.

Good points Chris. I am always very careful with my labeling, warnings, instructions, wording, etc. If people choose not to follow the warnings or instructions on anything we make, including candles, tarts, oil warmers, then that's their choice. At some point the customer has to assume some of the responsibility.

• 3 months later...