The beginning beginning

I am really just starting out. i have been doing lots of research on making candles and such but where should you really begin at? What about EIN number, registering with the state, logos, business plan, insurance, websites, business cards, ....the business side of things. Where do i begin? taxes, accounting?:undecided awwwww

I am really just starting out. i have been doing lots of research on making candles and such but where should you really begin at? What about EIN number, registering with the state, logos, business plan, insurance, websites, business cards, ....the business side of things. Where do i begin? taxes, accounting?:undecided awwwww

You should begin at the beginning! Keep researching the MAKING CANDLES part! That is where you start. Making the candles is best done by trial and error of course, and it's different for everyone, but how long it takes for you to come up with something you feel good about offering for sale can be months or even years down the road. I wouldn't waste another moment of your time on the business part of it for now.

I agree with Prairieanne. Get some candles made and perfected first. You may even decide you don't like it and you won't have invested anything. Once you're getting some real good candles, then look into the rest. Might want to start checking on insurance, though, that's not easy to find.

You don't need any of those licesnses until you are ready to sell, until then only a sales tax iD(if you plan on selling to the public, not freinds), you may be able to get a temp one in your state. It can be claimed as hobby income until you begin making over $600 (I think, at least it used to)

Hi Justright...welcome to candle making, I just started to make candles also...and I have to agree with everyone that the most important thing is making a sellable candle which can take months to figure out...it is going on several months for me and I still have not figured out how to wic, wax, scent one freaking bulb jar properly. So be prepared to put the time and effort into the product first the rest will happen. HTH:wink2:

Welcome Justright. I agree too with PA. Take time to really learn this craft before you even begin to think about the business end of it. You are putting the horse before the cart and your energy right now would be better suited to using it in testing and perfecting/understanding your product. You also need to learn how to weed through the crap you will read while doing your research and learn who knows what they are talking about and who is just talking out the wrong hole. Don't let post numbers fool ya! That all comes with trial and error. :wink2: Once that is done, then you will be ready to sell. Good luck. And again WELCOME!! :)

Thanks for the info...i was afraid of that. I have been into candles for a long time now but just recently started making them. I have made some container candles that came out great. I was planning on make just the containers with different fall scents and selling those in a few months but i guess you guys are right. I was just in a hurry to be ready by fall. :undecided

Just remember that when making candles, you are making a potential fireball if you don't know what you are doing. The liability can be huge. I wouldn't want to buy a candle from someone that didn't do their R&D and I suffered as a consequence because of their negligence. Also, make sure to have insurance before selling. You just never know what can happen and its better to have all bases covered. :wink2:

It can be really exciting to start a new business, but to echo all the replies here, R&D is your most important task of starting a new business.

I have been in business for awhile and you know, it took me 6 months to even MAKE my first bar of soap. I did so much research and reading, I almost scared myself right out of making it lol

Candles - almost 8 months of testing alone before I made my first one for sale.

We've all been there and know what you are going through, but make sure you do your R&D BEFORE you jump in with both feet.

Don't be in a hurry. It's better to take some time and get comfortable making a product that you know will burn properly. While you're testing, you can think of business names and logo and labeling ideas. Think about what kind of look you want your business to have (country/prim, modern, etc), but put most of your time and effort into testing. If you sell a shoddy product, you won't have repeat business. :)

What about tarts? I could sell tarts while i perfect my candles.

Thanks for all the info guys!

:smiley2:

As long as you've tested you're tarts, I don't see any reason why not sell those while you're perfecting everything else. I started selling votives and tarts, then added wickless and regular candles. A friend of mine only sells tarts and she makes more money than I thought possible. She works in a hospital and brings her sample jars to work so everyone can sniff. By the end of shift she'll have 100 or more orders on some nights. And that's just by selling tarts. So, find your key audience and go for it :)

What about tarts? I could sell tarts while i perfect my candles.

Thanks for all the info guys!

:smiley2:

I still would suggest research & testing to know your wax and how much FO it will hold, fp etc. And don't forget insurance. Even with tarts, you never know what someone will do and one lawsuit against you and you could lose everything. It's just not worth it IMO to operate a business without it. People are just too sue happy these days.

You will have to check in your state for insurance or maybe others will chime in. Start with whoever you are insured through - that is what I did. It can be difficult to find but not impossible. It can be even harder if you have your business in your home. Be careful because your homeowners insurance might not be thrilled with you running a candle business in your home.