FYI Re: Shipping Fragrance Oils

Fern

Just wanted to give you a heads up regarding shipping FO's via Priority Mail. Two weeks ago I was able to ship out FO's Priority mail...went to ship some more out today and the Post Office refused to ship it Priority because of the new laws regarding shipping liquids by air. I was doing a trade with someone else from another state and she had the same thing happen to her, only they went so over the top with her where it almost got to the point of them calling the police...it's a long story. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that if the Post Office asks if you have any glass, perishables or liquids, you'd better tell them the truth, because they will hunt you down and make you pick up your package if it slipped by them the first time...or they could call the authorities or whatever else they might chose to do if they encounter a package with liquids in it. I couldn't hide what I had in mine, even if I wanted to lie about it...you could hear the FO sloshing around in the bottles because some of them were half full. Bottom line...FO's can only go by ground now. Just thought you all might want to know.

Wow, ICS sent fragrance oils via Priority Mail? Well, I guess it's just a matter of time before that comes to a halt. Don't be surprised if it's discovered and then confiscated somewhere along the way...that is, if people are doing their jobs.

Hmm. I've seen this pop up on a few boards.

But MANY suppliers will ship USPS Priority, even if it isn't listed as an option on their site.

Perhaps that could change in the future.

I never bring anything to the PO, I have an awesome mail carrier and I use Click n Ship exculsively, LOVE it.

He never asks me what the contents are, even if it's 40 packages. I'll bring something to the PO this week and see what they say.

Stupid question but I understood that FO can't go air only if the flash point was under 140. Am I the only person that has noticed on some suppliers web sites they will have next to a very specific FO that it can only be shipped via ground. I'll look over and almost always the FP is under 140. (I'm not sure of the "magic number" but I thought that was it.)

I guess maybe I could be wrong, there is a 1st for everything. :D

Karen B

I ship about 95% of my FOs UPS because of the USPS rules. These rules are not new... they have been around for awhile. FP has to be over 145 to be safe for air, but it has to be marked a certain way... and FP over I think 170 or 175 still has to be mentioned as liquids, but do not need the special markings on the package. To save the headache, I just send everything UPS.

It is new though....on top of their liquid rules in the past, they are now going to enforce it more so due to airlines stepping in with the liquid problems according to a conversation with the post office I had. They said that they are going to crack down on click/ship boxes even if your carrier picks them up...apparently they are going to start going through them more thoroughly....which will probably end up in rate increases if you ask me.