FYI Re: Shipping Fragrance Oils

Fern

i think what is being confused is that the people getting on planes can't carry anything liquid, it can still go in your regular baggage just not carry on.

fo's would go in the baggage part of a plane so i can't see that there would be any change. they may do more checking, but they soon learn who the suppliers are and have been cleared. jmo

CarolK: I believe there are no liquids or gels allowed on planes by passengers...period. I remember watching CNN when they were showing people throwing all of their perfumes, deoderants and any other liquids or gels that they had with them into trash cans. The whole reason for this is because terrorists had plotted to bring explosives in the form of gel or liquids onto the planes...then mix them on board the plane, then detonate them. So, I really don't think they'd allow liquids and gels into the cargo holds of the plane. There could still be explosives in there that a terrorist could detonate by a cell phone or another detonation device. At least this is what I got from the news reports that I have read and seen on CNN.

Noodle: It seems that each post office is dealing with this situation differently. Some are strictly enforcing it and others are doing nothing. I too was able to send sloshing FO's through Priority Mail just two weeks ago.

Noodle:

"The whole reason for this is because terrorists had plotted to bring explosives in the form of gel or liquids onto the planes...then mix them on board the plane, then detonate them. So, I really don't think they'd allow liquids and gels into the cargo holds of the plane. There could still be explosives in there that a terrorist could detonate by a cell phone or another detonation device."

Oh, I didn't know that. But don't you think it would make sense not to allow any liquids in the cargo holds since explosives could still be detonated by cell phone or other device from inside the passenger cabin? See, this is the kind of stuff that just doesn't make any sense to me. In my opinion, they are still putting their planes and passengers at risk by doing that. This is another reason why I will not step foot on a plane ever again. I used to be scared to death to fly, got over my fear...somewhat, now the fear has intensified 10 fold since 9/11. I don't think I will ever be able to get on a plane ever again in my life. My father is old and lives in California and I have not been out to visit him once because of this fear of flying. Luckily, he comes to Connecticut to visit, otherwise, I'd never see him. But, one day, in the not so distant future, I'm going to have to go there for his funeral and I don't know if I will be able to get on a plane or not. The terrorists are determined to strike again and it's obvious that they are still focused on using planes in one form or another to do it.

I think they were saying on the news that the terrorist plot had the liquid explosive components in seperate bottles meant to be combined once the plane was in the air. The wouldnt react seperately. It was suppose to be a way to sneak the items on board without setting off the bomb detection, etc.

Thats my understanding but there could be more to it.

http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf

See page 33 of this USPS publication.

Edited to add:

The following quote is from http://pe.usps.com/text/DMM300/601.htm

10.13 Flammable and Combustible Liquids (Hazard Class 3)

10.13.1 Definitions

The terms used in the standards that apply to hazard class 3 are defined as follows:

a. Flammable liquid means a liquid that has a flashpoint of not more than 141°F (60.5°C), or any material in a liquid phase that has a flashpoint at or above 100°F (38°C).

b. Combustible liquid means any liquid that does not meet the definition of any other hazard class and has a flashpoint above 141°F (60.5°C) and below 200°F (93°C). Note: A flammable liquid with a flashpoint at or above 100°F (38°C) that does not meet the definition of any other hazard class may be reclassified as a combustible liquid per 49 CFR 173.120(B).

10.13.2 Flammable Liquid Mailability

Flammable liquid is prohibited in international mail. Flammable liquid with a flashpoint of 20°F (-7°C) or below is prohibited in domestic mail. Other flammable liquid is prohibited in domestic mail via air transportation but is permitted via surface transportation if the material can qualify as an ORM-D material and meet the following conditions as applicable:

a. The flashpoint is above 20°F (-7°C) but no more than 73°F (23°C); the liquid is in a metal primary receptacle not exceeding 1 quart, or in another type of primary receptacle not exceeding 1 pint, per mailpiece; enough cushioning surrounds the primary receptacle to absorb all potential leakage; the cushioning and primary receptacle are packed within a securely sealed secondary container that is placed within a strong outer shipping container; and each mailpiece is plainly and durably marked on the address side with "Surface Only" or "Surface Mail Only" and "ORM-D" immediately following or below the proper shipping name.

b. The flashpoint is above 73°F (23°C) but less than 100°F (38°C); the liquid is in a metal primary receptacle not exceeding 1 gallon, or in another type of primary receptacle not exceeding 1 quart, per mailpiece; enough cushioning surrounds the primary receptacle to absorb all potential leakage; the cushioning and primary receptacle are placed within a securely sealed secondary container that is placed within a strong outer shipping container; and each mailpiece is plainly and durably marked on the address side with "Surface Only" or "Surface Mail Only" and "ORM-D" immediately following or below the proper shipping name.

10.13.3 Combustible Liquid Mailability

Combustible liquid is prohibited in international mail. Combustible liquid is permitted in domestic mail if the material can qualify as an ORM-D material and meet the following conditions as applicable:

a. For surface transportation, if the flashpoint is 100°F (38°C) but no more than 141°F (60.5°C); the liquid is in a metal primary receptacle not exceeding 1 gallon, or in another type of primary receptacle not exceeding 1 quart, per mailpiece; enough cushioning surrounds the primary receptacle to absorb all potential leakage; the cushioning and primary receptacle are packed in a securely sealed secondary container that is placed within a strong outer shipping container; and each mailpiece is plainly and durably marked on the address side with "Surface Only" or "Surface Mail Only" and "ORM-D" immediately following or below the proper shipping name.

b. For surface or air transportation, if the flashpoint is above 141°F (60.5°C) but no more than 200°F (93°C); the liquid is in a primary receptacle not exceeding 1 gallon per mailpiece; enough cushioning surrounds the primary receptacle to absorb all potential leakage; the cushioning and primary receptacle are packed in a securely sealed secondary container that is placed within a strong outer shipping container; and each mailpiece is plainly and durably marked on the address side with "ORM-D" or "ORM-D AIR," as applicable, immediately following or below the proper shipping name. Mailable material sent via surface transportation must be marked on the address side as "Surface Only" or "Surface Mail Only." For air transportation, each mailpiece must bear a shipper's declaration for dangerous goods.

c. For air or surface transportation, if the flashpoint is above 200°F (93°C) the material is not regulated as a hazardous material. Such nonregulated materials must be properly and securely packaged to prevent leakage under the general packaging requirements in 2.0, Packaging.

CarolK: I believe there are no liquids or gels allowed on planes by passengers...period. I remember watching CNN when they were showing people throwing all of their perfumes, deoderants and any other liquids or gels that they had with them into trash cans. The whole reason for this is because terrorists had plotted to bring explosives in the form of gel or liquids onto the planes...then mix them on board the plane, then detonate them. So, I really don't think they'd allow liquids and gels into the cargo holds of the plane. There could still be explosives in there that a terrorist could detonate by a cell phone or another detonation device. At least this is what I got from the news reports that I have read and seen on CNN.

Noodle: It seems that each post office is dealing with this situation differently. Some are strictly enforcing it and others are doing nothing. I too was able to send sloshing FO's through Priority Mail just two weeks ago.

I just flew a coupla weeks ago and had all my usual liquids and such in my checked luggage.

THe rules they make for everything tend to get out of hand. The whole liquids on planes thing is so farfetched. I think if terrorists want to do something on a plane they are going to come up with a way, no matter how many rules or roadblocks are put up. Its sad, but true. These people have nothing better to do with their time than find ways to proove their radical points. So the whole world has to suffer because of it.

I love companies that ship via USPS because its cheap. UPS and FEDEX are expensive when it comes to just 1 pound of this or that. I think what they need to be focusing on is getting FEDEX and UPS to lower their rates:laugh2: Instead of telling me I cant take my clear H20 that I am drinking on a plane. And watch, airplace tickets are going to get more expensive because they are going to have to provide us with more refreshments because we can't bring our own. How does a $6 glass of orange juice that is barely 4 ounces sound to you?

Just wanted to clear this up as far as MY experience w/ Candle Source goes...

I actually called and spoke to Loren a few minutes ago, and he cleared up for me how he goes about figuring out shipping for individual orders. he sent mine via Fed-Ex, because I ordered one of his cute warmers for a basket I have to do, and w/ tracking and ins. to Pa, this was the cheapest way to go. What a nice guy! I thanked him, and told him I cannot wait to get my nose into those oils I ordered, cause I am sure we'll be ordering more from him again soon!:grin2:

BTW, He is still shipping USPS flat rate, priority, etc...

The person I did the trade with ended up, after all the trouble they gave her, sending it priority mail, however there was a label on the box saying that liquids were inside. I unfortunately, was unable to send them priority...period...it could only go ground from my post office, there was no way that they would do it any other way and I wasn't about to raise a big stink over it. I just wish all of the post offices would get on same page so that there wouldn't be so much confusion over this.