credit card processing

Ingrid

I am in the midst of investigating being able to accept credit cards for our candle business. We do not have a website yet but we do go to craft fairs and am starting to get some wholesale accounts. I would just like some input from anyone as to this credit card processing company.

CitadelEFT associated with Bank of America. Rep told me that there is no contract, no extra fees other than $5.00 per month statement fee. No minimum per month and that we could go month to month with them. Visa and Mastercard - 2.03% +22cents transaction fee. If we wanted to add Amex 3.5% +22, and Discover 2.2% plus 22. It almost sounds too good to be true and I am a bit skeptical. Has anybody an opinion.???

The percentage rate and transaction fee sounds about average. The $5 a month is pretty low. If thats all you found a pretty good deal. Don't know about Citadel cause I never banked with them before.

The best thing to do is shop around to see what other banks offer. I always check with a minimum of at least three. That's just to get an average. I also want to know what its like to do business with a bank cause you will have to deal with them. If they are difficult to reach or not responsive to your inquiries, etc. I would drop em fast.

I can't say this enough - go local & never look back.

I have used a couple companies in my 4 years and I can't say enough good things about my bank that I use. It is right down the street, my money is in my account the next day, my % rate is amazing & gets better as I make more and my fees are very low.

Local banks also appreciate your business more and tend to "talk" about you more as a business - nudge, nudge ...if you know what I mean. We took on over 100 corporate gifts last year (not bad either, $50 a pop) from that bank & I think it was no coincidence that we use them either.

Go local when you can - everyone appreciates it in the end!!

What are you doing for your machine? Are they making you buy the machine from them? In a lot of cases, that's where they make huge amounts of money.

I was very stupid when I opened my store. I was anxious to be open, and rushed right into a contract with the first company who could get me hooked up as quickly as I wanted. I checked out a few banks, visited one of them, and the man who was giving me the info was filling in for someone on vacation and totally didn't know anything about credit card processing--neither did I; but I was impatient, and it is costing me dearly!

I was a sucker and signed a 4-year deal. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. I'm almost out of it now, but it was a lesson learned the hard way.

Take your time, look at plenty of options. If someone is selling you a machine, check out what they're going for on the internet and ebay. Ask your rep about purchasing a machine from someone else and see what kind of deal they give you.

The rep told me that I can be month to month and the terminal is 10.00 ( a knucklebuster) and $10.00 for an electronic one. I also aked him about canceling my account and he told me they needed a 30 day notice and the return of the terminals.

I agree with Kristine about checking out local. I ended up using the bank I already have my business account with so I can just go down the street to do my banking. I got lower fees and lower percentage rate plus I don't pay an extra monthly fee on top of that! I shopped around and found my own bank had the best deal.

The bank is Bank of America. Large well known bank. I haven't been able to find many that won't require a minimum monthly and extra fees. If anyone has a better alternative please let me know. I don't have any problems with credit personally.