Mixing Colors

Has anyone used this color chart??

http://www.gellycandle.com/ColorChart.html

I tried to make pink and mauve this past weekend that did not turn out the way I expected. For the pink I mixed 3 drops of red and 1 drop of blue and got a dark purple color. For the mauve I mixed 4 drops of purple and 1 drop of yellow and get an even darker purple. I was testing in 4627 but would like to mix these colors for b&b products.

Any clues what I did wrong??

Thanks.

...JMO...but purple is a mix of Red and Blue so these two colors mixed together will with get you a different shade of purple. Pink is Red mixed with white...so I would just add a small amount of red to the wax and you should end up with pink. I'm not sure about mauve, do you have a color wheel? I find this to be very handy when trying to mix colors. :wink2:

I wasn't using their colors so that might be it. I do have a color wheel but I dont see where it tells me the amounts to use such as 4 parts of this and 1 part of that. Is there a color wheel out there that will tell me this? I am trying to come up with a color line to match my candles but you are limited on the colors that come in b&b products so I figured I would try to mix my own.

You have to take into account not only the colors to mix, but how much of the mixture to use. To get mauve, for instance, you don't want to use too much dye. Mix the colors separately, then add some to the product.

Yea, that's so true. Mauve is a lighter almost pastel color so all you would need is one drop of the entire mixture.

JMO, to me Mauve is somewhat deeper than a pastel, I'm guessing that if you mix mostly red and start adding tiny amounts (I use a toothpick) of black, you might get what you're looking for. This combo gets me my raspberry color but it might get you mauve with a little less black than what I use. You just have to experiament.

No...the color wheel will not tell you how much to mix together...you will just have to experiment until you get the desired color...remember adding darker colors will shade you color and adding lighter colors will tint your color. I also do some painting with water colors occasionaly and I have found that if I pull out my water color paints and mix them I can get a good idea of what colors I will get but this is only a reference point. HTH :wink2:

I've used that chart a few times and got close to the right color...I mix the colors into a separate bottle then take drops from that bottle to add to the wax. For mauve I believe I only used 1 drop per pound of the final mixture. Hope that makes sense....

Thanks for the replies. I got my color wheel out but its not helping much. Think I'll just use the red to get pink but would really like to get the mauve right. Demenshia do you remember how much you mixed to get the mauve color? Mine turned out a really dark purple.

I'm at work right now so I can't check, but I took an empty glass bottle, then added like 20 drops of purple and 5 drops of yellow (something close to this, keeping the same ratio of 4 purple to 1 yellow) into the empty bottle. Then mixed the solution very well. That became my "mauve" dye. Now when I want to make a mauve candle, I use 1 drop of that solution per pound, sometimes 2 drops if I want it a little darker. Hope that helps....if you need more info feel free to PM me and when I get home from work I'll check the exact amounts I used. Also, I did not use this company's dyes, but liquid dyes from a different supplier.

Mixing red and green together is like mixing red, yellow and blue.....all primary colors, which when mixed together gives a neutral brown like color. So if you were to do these colors with the slightest bit more of the red, you could probably get something like a mauve.