Basic recipes or many recipes??

ruba

Hey guys and gals!

I am getting so close to soaping and I was wondering...When you make soap do you have one basic recipe you use for a lot of batches and just change the scents and colors or Do you have a different recipe for each bar of soap?? Hope that makes sense. I just wanted to know what others did. I figure I wil start out with a basic recipe and change scents in that and as I get better I will make "specialty" recipes for some others. At this point it will be for family and friends to be my guinea pigs...it's ok if you burn their skin off right??:wink2:

TIA for any info you can give.

After a couple years of soaping I have now decided on my base recipe for regular soap and another for my goat milk soaps. So its two recipes with different coloring & fragrance oils. It makes keeping an inventory much easier. However, I did test many other recipes during the past years as I imagine many new soapers do.

Right now I have 3 basic recipes that I use for most of my "for sale" bars.

I do like to experiment though and use many different recipes. Sometimes they are a keeper and I have a list of a few recipes that I am considering adding to my "for sale" bars as well.

HTH :)

I have a basic recipe that I use for most of my soaps, just varying scent and color. Then I have a few special recipe soaps: Oatmeal, Milk & Honey, Shaving Bar, Shea Butter for drier skin, a castile-type, and a Grandma's Old Fashioned for poison ivy / oily skin. My Goat's Milk soap is actually my basic recipe but with GM instead of water.

HTH

I haven't started selling yet (still getting my act together) but after A LOT of batches of various types I'm settining into a basic recipe for almost everything - with a couple of specialty recipes for castile and possibly an avocado oil luxury bar. And maybe a butter bar to boot. But even when adding honey or GM or whatever I find my basic recipe is still the best place to start!

I really appreciate all the replies. School (college) is starting for me this coming Tuesady and I am not sure that I will get my first batch in before then:cry2: . But I have been reading, and reading, and reading... on this and I am excited to do my first batch. You bet your sweet buns I will post it when I do...no matter how ugly it turns out:D .

Thanks again.

I have a base recipe that took me a while to develop. I generally vary two factors, the butters and 10% of "other" oil. It could be grapeseed, sunflower, safflower, avocado, etc. The only recipe that is totally different is my kitchen/gardeners. That one has more cleansing oils in it than the base recipe does.