Can someone help me make a bar with...

heather_dw

Can someone help me make a moisturizing bar of soap with the following(dont have to use all, this is just what I have):

• Shea
  • Almond oil
  • Olive
  • Coconut
  • Soy shortening (i have soy oil too)
  • sunflower

• Crisco
  • little bit of grapeseed
  • castor

I can go out to buy other stuff if it's readily available at the grocery ;-)

I have been playing with the lye calculator but not found anything that seems all that great :-/

How about 60% olive, 15% shea, 25% coconut? Run that thru the calculator and see if it looks good! Or subtract 5% from the olive and use 5% castor. How those looking for you? :)

Might need a little extra cure time because it may be a bit softish at first, but it should cure out well! HTH

Well ladies, I went into the kitchen to cut the soap this morning and guess what i found? The Shea butter was still sitting in the microwave.

Can I salvage this? The soap looks fine, it's just shorter than usual and a bit more crumbly than usual. Can I melt it in a pot and just add the shea and re-mold?

Yes, it's calld doing a rebatch. I have never done it so can't tell you how, but I'm sure others can (it's a very popular thing to do, apparently). Or you can search for the word.

I suspect there is much on it on the Miller website as well.

Doesn't that just kill you! We've ALL done that or something close!

Originally the soap was blue with a small white top layer (so cute!) but I did melt it all down in the microwave stirred in the shea really well and now it's back in the mold. Hopefully it will be ok!

**edit**

no such luck, There seems to be oil pockets on the top? Should i pitch it, or try rebatching again and cooking it longer?