How to pour FO without losing any?

Hi all!

Okay, so I've been doing tarts and candles for a year now, and this has been bugging the crud out of me. I've been using glass measuring cups (like little shot glasses) to measure out my FO. The problem is, everytime I pour my FO into my wax, it never fails that some of the FO stays in the cup (no matter how long I hold the dang measuring cup upside down over the wax). I hate to waste FO and I feel like my FO % is then off since some didn't go in the wax. What can I do to get ALL the FO out? Any suggestions? I'd appreciate it!!

D

I use a little disposable dixie cup and there is minimal waste, as with any liquid (especially oils) your gonna leave some in the cup. And they are cheap.

Or

You can put your melting pot directly on your scale and pour your FO in that way....but be careful cause you dont want to add too much and ruin the batch..

There's not really that much left, no enough to really throw off your %. I do 2 things, though, if I'm using a really expensive scent ;) - if I was pouring down a stick for control, I'll scrape the cup out with that. Or, I've got a little teeny tiny spatula that I use.

It's easier for me to just pour my oil directly into the pour pot with my wax. I determine the number of grams of oil I need, set my scale on grams, and pour oil out of the bottle slowly. If you're afraid of going over too much, you can use the bottle cap to pour in the last few grams (most caps hold between 3 and 6 grams); going over or under by a gram or two isn't that critical, though.

I use a glass measuring cup to weigh my oils in. I usually scrape my cup with a little rubber spatula after pouring and then stir the wax with the spatula. There's always going to be some FO left in the cup but not that much.

I use disposable plastic pipettes. I found them on ebay...very cheap!

I put my oil on the scale without the lid to get the weight, then use pipettes full til I've reached the desired amount of oil.

It may take a little longer than just pouring from the bottle but I don't get dribbles down the bottle or a significant amount of oil left in the pipette.

I keep each pipette in a self seal plastic bag with the fragrance name on a label & store them all in a shoe box.

I'm still only using 1 or 2 oz bottles of oil but when I graduate to the big guys I'll fasten the bag to the bottle with an elastic band.

It works perfectly for me.

Sally.

Thank you guys! I like the mini-spatula idea :) I'll have to keep my eyes open. I tried the dixie cups, but the FO just soaked into the cup (I think you have to get one with a wax type lining in it). I know it's not alot left in the cup, but it just bugs me that it's not all going in. Thanks again for the great suggestions!

D

When I measure FO in to a cup I next pour my finished wax into the cup a couple of times back and forth into the pot. Then I use that cup to pour my tarts. When my bottles are empty I either let them drain in the empty mixing pot for several days, I have one for each scent or add the corn cobs to the bottle and cap shake and keep in bottle untill I think they have absorbed all the oil. Also after pouring the last drop out of FO bottle I have cut top off and used to pour candles and tarts. This is when I didn't have as many cups as I have now.

I tried so many things and got sooooooo frustrated even with getting the stuff out of the bottle for the pour without spilling. My best solution for me so far..... I use pour spouts (my supplier carries some and so do many other sites, or I get them off old bottles around the house). Then I take the med size baby food jar - glass - they fit a perfect amount of FO for my max FO/3x batch which is the biggest batch I make (3lbs/pour pot)- I think they fit 4 oz. Anywho... I have 1 for each FO, magic marker on the lid what FO each is, and keep them and reuse and reuse - just put the lid back on after each use. Its worked for 6 months so far and I love the FO isnt gone. You can get the jars for .50 at any store - if you get apple sauce I found recipes you can use with baby food apple sauce - for adults. Or you can find them at thrift store for next to free---- or my solution - keep having babies :)

I do what Carol does - but I tare the scale first then pour FO (or mineral oil if unscented) in grams. When I get close though I take the pot off, and put it back on - sometimes when doing grams they aren't sensitive enough to notice the change between a gram or two. (Though a gram or two is no big deal to me here - if I were measuring soaper stuff like preservatives I'd get a much better scale!)