Bandito First Rusticos

I got these candles from my supplier but I had to put them togeeether myself. :grin2: wax was 1343 scented with Amaretto Nog .80 oz pp. I made these Saturday morning but wife was out of town for the weekend and had my camera.

I definitely had some frosting stuck inside my molds. I chilled the molds and then later as they were cooling, read on candletech that I shouldn't have chilled them. I added vybar 103 about 3/4 tsp pp. to help with the scent load. Stearic at 4 heaping tsp. pp and let cool at room temp for a bit over 9 hrs.

Besides chilling the molds what else did I do wrong to lose much of the frosting? Thanks for any help.

edited to add: I also used a pinch of UV inhibitor pp. (is this ok to use with rustics?)

post-4010-139458406824_thumb.jpg

I got these candles from my supplier but I had to put them togeeether myself. :grin2: wax was 1343 scented with Amaretto Nog .80 oz pp. I made these Saturday morning but wife was out of town for the weekend and had my camera.

I definitely had some frosting stuck inside my molds. I chilled the molds and then later as they were cooling, read on candletech that I shouldn't have chilled them. I added vybar 103 about 3/4 tsp pp. to help with the scent load. Stearic at 4 heaping tsp. pp and let cool at room temp for a bit over 9 hrs.

Besides chilling the molds what else did I do wrong to lose much of the frosting? Thanks for any help.

They do look good for a first.

About the additives...

For one you don't need both also Vybar 103 will kill mottle and make a smooth finish. I think Stearic is the only additive you need in this wax, for the rustic look.

Thank - you candleman,

I see what you are saying now, the vybar kills the mottle. There is so much to learn and remember. I'd better write that down.:smiley2: Next time I will just use stearic and decrease the scent load to about 3% - 1/2 oz pp. which is what I think the wax is rated for.

I LOVE the color choices and think that you did a great job! Everyone has to have their first candles and I am not sure many people would tackle so many layers and such a creative endeavor for their first pillars! It took me well over a year to make any kind of pillar candle...and when I finally did, took a class and used the Palm wax.....fairly safe way to make my first Pillar having someone hold my hand through the process. of course, I have made several since... but still don't have the suckers wicked. They look nice setting up in the closet though.:)

Keep them coming!!!!! Congratulations on your colorful firsts!!

Actually Everito (Oh how that rolls off the tongue!)

You can use any additive you want, but I for rustics I would stick with 3 T of steric if you want the powdery whitish look to them. OR I would simply pour cool and swish and slosh a little bit with vybar103 if you want, with a little steric if you want.

I don't like v103 in my 1343 (Oh that sounded strangely nerdy and scientific), but I like it more than the UA.

As for a pinch of UV? Always add it! Just make it a habit.

Love the colors. Sorry about the crust. Don't rush it next time ;) And keep molds out of the fridge. Use a deep freeze (put your mold in one) and get some really outlandish jump lines (shhhh).

Thank- you, Michael and Scented - come to think of it, these are my first layers also. I did use the freezer, had those babies deep chilled...lol...and it did a pretty radical number on the blue topped one...LOL..:grin2: (shhhh)

WOW!!! love the texture on the top. Wish that could be done on the whole candle.

Tell me you didn't deep freeze with wax in the molds Everito. Just gotta watch for moisture. Did your mold jump on you when you poured? If it didn't, wasn't frozen enough (some would say :P )

I didn't. I just put them in the freezer at the beginning (empty) The molds came out of the freezer covered in frost. At that point I thought about the condensation water factor for a moment. Then figured what the heck, pour some hot wax in (150 degrees so it wasn't super hot) and see what happens. Never did put them back in freezer after that.

But when I took the candles out of the molds, I was thinking along the lines of what candleman was thinking, too bad I couldna get that shock effect throughout the whole candle.

But when I took the candles out of the molds, I was thinking along the lines of what candleman was thinking, too bad I couldna get that shock effect throughout the whole candle.

Well not having a deep freeze I can't give you tips, BUT I hear really frozen molds are known to dance, jump and go anywhere. You'd have to test that candle for the condensation. Maybe even try it at a hotter pour than what you did and it might go all over the candle. But this would all be in fun at first.