M&P disappointment

Brandyanne

I just made my first melt & pour soap using goatsmilk base adding OMH F/O and ground oatmeal and honey- I was hoping it would turn out a nice golden honey color like others I have seen posted here but instead it is an off white-when I saw it was not going to color like I wanted it to I added a small lump of brown sugar which I think colored it a tad more- also my F/O was clear not amber colored so I know that did affect the color . There is nothing wrong with the soap- I got the oatmeal to suspend fairly evenly- it's just not the look I wanted. I did see where someone wanted to rough their M&P to make it look more like CP and some one suggested taking a spoon and spread it as it is setting. I wanted to get the last little bit of melted soap out so I reheated the last little bit and poured it on the top and of course it just laid on the top so I took a spoon and spread it around and of course it went a little lumpy so that does work- not sure if it really looks like cold pour though!

Unless you are using SFIC's low sweat MP base, you really won't get a true CP "look" to it. Even using the base it'll be close but you can still tell. I've only seen ONE MP'er that had us all fooled into thinking it was CP... but she's damn good at it.

Keep trying, that's what makes MP fun. :)

Unless you are using SFIC's low sweat MP base, you really won't get a true CP "look" to it. Even using the base it'll be close but you can still tell. I've only seen ONE MP'er that had us all fooled into thinking it was CP... but she's damn good at it.

Keep trying, that's what makes MP fun. :)

LOL Grumpy, I was just thinking about her! I got an end cut of that wonderful soap in the mail yesterday! It still looks so good, and I still wish I had her talent!! Thanks again T!

keep playing. You will get it. My first Mp soap, came out rubbery. I overheated it ummm... just a tad... you couda bounced it off the wall!!

I do some "natural color" but I use lab colors and a color wheel now. I can mix up the perfect shade.. even that took some trial and error..

Just have fun playing, it will all work out soon. You will learn the nuances, what works and what doesnt.. and believe me..

I found found a LOT of what doesn't work for others, and made it work. I am a big raise the bar kinda person. LOL

I have soaped things and done things with MP everyone told me would never happen!!

awwwwwe you guys!!!!!! thanks for the compliments. :cheesy2:

did ya get a chance to look at the pic of my OMH soap on the review board?

It is a lot of work and a mixture of bases but here is my 'recipe'

equal parts

NG honey base (I used the clearance one..I like it MUCH better (the color is darker and it combined with the other bases is what got me the color))

NG goat milk base

WSP oatmeal base

melt them all together stir like crazy

1 TBSP per pound of soap base

castor oil

mango butter (I melt it first and measure out a TBSP)

honey

and I think I put cream in there too.

and then the oats too

NG OMH FO

I am to impatient wait for it to solidify enough to suspend it so I layered it in.

the WSP oatmeal base has some oats in it already but I added more. I didn't measure them just tossed them in to my liking.

I love mixing bases! You can get some great soap that way!

looks like I had better get to making some more of that and selling it. It is wierd that I wasn't that pleased with it. I got one review of poor lather on it and I got discouraged with it and was planning on doing my OMH in CP. I will have to give the OMH MP another shot, since all of you love it so much!

I mix SFIC bases too. I have found that I can achieve a much more natural look using 80% low sweat clear + 20% opaque (goatsmilk, low sweat white, shea butter, etc). It gives the combined bases a more translucent look and when I introduce color I can then get away from the totally pastel look a solid white/offwhite base would give.

Check out http://www.emporiumnaturals.com/default2.asp?cat=Herb+Blends+for+Color for some great herb blends to add natural color.

Blessings, Lisa