Urgent - which scent for wedding dinner??

ubure

Today I got a request from a costumer for scented votives for her wedding dinner. She wanted to have Calla Lily (Yankee) and also unscented ones.

I know that such strong florals are not the right scent for a dinner, but what else can I recommend her? She wants something that isn't too strong of course, but is there a floral at all that fits?

Thanks for yor help!!:smiley2::smiley2::smiley2:

Inez

Honestly, I wouldn't use a fragrance during the wedding dinner - it will interfere with the smells of the food and become overpowering. Also, some people are highly sensitive to certain smells, including florals. So having scented candles around her guests could be a bad idea, especially if one or two are allergic or sensitive. I would personally use unscented candles at the dinner and maybe have scented ones for the guests to take home as favors.

Some really good florals are JS Egyptian Rose Geranium, Hyacinth Chula Orchid and Peony.

Absolutely NO scent for any candles burning during a wedding reception, dinner or whatever!! If she wants to give everyone a scented votive as a gift, that's another thing, but make sure they are wrapped well. I have done candles for several weddings over the years and always talk them out of burning any scented pillars, tapers, votives or floaters. If someone ends up being allergic to a scent that's burning, it would definately ruin the entire shindig!! :cool2:

Honestly, I wouldn't use a fragrance during the wedding dinner - it will interfere with the smells of the food and become overpowering. Also, some people are highly sensitive to certain smells, including florals. So having scented candles around her guests could be a bad idea, especially if one or two are allergic or sensitive. I would personally use unscented candles at the dinner and maybe have scented ones for the guests to take home as favors.

Some really good florals are JS Egyptian Rose Geranium, Hyacinth Chula Orchid and Peony.

You want to tell her UNSCENTED! Scents will not only unset the meal but meats and potatos can pick up the TASTE of that scent!:shocked2:

I had a friend who Insisted on doing this and all othe food began to taste like the candles! GO UNSCENTED where there is food that is going to be served and eaten.:embarasse

Fire

I agree, I make wedding favors. If they want candles that are scented to sit on the able I tell them their flowers should be the only scented thing at that table. People don't even pay attention to details like that. They look at visual not olfactory.

Today I got a request from a costumer for scented votives for her wedding dinner.

What kind of costumes does she make? :smiley2:

J/K, could not help it! I have to say unscented all the way.

The favor idea is a good one if the bride wants a scent.

I totally agree w/ Angela & the others who strongly suggest NO SCENT.

Let me put it this way, I don't want to smell a candle when I'm eating, esp a floral. Too many competing odors can be overwhelming. If I felt particularly annoyed by the FO, I'd put out the candle. Some FOs have an um .... I don't know what it is but it gets to the back of my throat & then I'm coughing like a cat on a hairball trying to get that whatever it is out of the back of my throat only it won't go away 'til it goes away HOURS later. :embarasse

If you need help convincing your client, show her this thread! ;)

Let me see if I've understood this: no scent, right?:grin2:

I will definitely try to persuade her not to use scented ones. I wouldn't want them either. I have suggested some pillars at a distanced table (that wth the presents) - would that be an option?

Thanks for your help!!

Inez;)

No because not everyone wants to smell candles at a reception! The this bride to think of others and what would make them comfortable before she thinks of what she want. And if the scent is overwhelming it will still make problems for the guests.

MANY have alergies to scents or wax. I hardly ever accept wedding and reception invitations because they always use roses and I highly alergic and will break out in hives! They can be my very best friends but I won't go because I can't deal with the scent of any size room.:shocked2:

Fire:cool2: