Finding workshop space outside the home

guppygirl

Anyone have any ideas on where/how to start looking for a small inexpensive place to set up a production shop only (for pouring tarts and candles - no retail)? My only thoughts would be to call a commercial realtor, but I thought I'd check here to check with those that have been through this.

TIA!

Be careful, as candlemaking is high risk for many insurance compnaies, and many landloards are leary of taking chandlers on. I would suggest renting a garage or somekind of thing like that. Something like a 2-3 bay garage would be big enough. Maybe a beighbor has one to rent. Maybe then you would not need liability insurance. Do you have room on your porerty? A freiend of mine put in a small storage shed and poured in there, and then just added another one a few years later as he grew.

this would actually be for a fellow chandler, just checking around for her... we live close enough to each other, and I'd love to build a shed in my yard. It's big enough but housing association wouldn't allow it!

Don't think we'd need more than say 400sq ft...

I had looked into renting a warehouse for production since the majority of my business is wholesale and I'm running out of room at home...

I don't know about pricing in your area, but it's very expensive here and 750sq ft warehouse (with 250sq ft office) was $800/mo plus I had to carry a $2mil insurance on the building. I decided that I would stay in the garage awhile longer because that shop wasn't much bigger (and would eat all my profit!)

Look for a small warehouse in some of the industrial areas around you. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

what would be a good rate. i used that craig list and found this:

Add your flare to a shared studio. Approximately 150 square feet of personal studio space in a 900 sq. ft studio in the Downtown / Tucson Arts Warehouse District. $135 per month plus one-fourth share of electric. Currently we have two spaces for rent or you could combine them into one for $250/month. All mediums are encouraged. We are an open-minded group. Existing artists in the studio are a ceramist and a lampworker. Concrete floors, high ceilings. We are located on the southeast corner of University and Main St. in the Dunbar Springs area

i am so bad a estamating space. is 150 sq ft good? $135 per month?:o

I rented a gigantic warehouse, two offices, kitchenette, bathrooms, two showrooms, and tons and tons of space. It has 4 large bays. Since it was already divided in some places I rented the space out to other businesses. We did have to build a couple of partitions, but it is great for all of use. They pay a portion of the utilities and such and we split the rent 4 ways, (so far) we have one empty bay, yet to rent. It works for all of us. Somebody is always there to answer the phone and get packages. We are pretty diversified, one guy builds stuff from wood, one bay has large equipment that they repair, we have two wholesalers selling stuff. It works pretty well, we got the interent networked and everybody can get on.

The bottom line? My warehouse with offices showroom, candle room etc, costs me about 200 a month. Plus I have a helping hand whenever I need it. The only down side is one lady couldn't take the smell and can't come when I was pouring, so it takes a little looking around to find the right people.

Maybe you could find a larger place and get some other business people to go in with you?

Would you want a retail space in front of your workshop? I always thought if I could find a house that was in the business district of the old part of town, that would be perfect. There has been a house for sale in our area that is on a main traffic road with a brick building by the road, gosh I want to buy it but it means changing our way of life, the kids school, moving away from friends etc. But wouldn't it be exciting..... my house, my business all at the same location.....