pillar wicking

I made a 3" dia X 4 pillar from candle wic cbl-141 wax. 1 oz of peaks ocean scent per 1 1/2 lb and a 24 ply flat braid. Its burning a 2" hole down the center. My question is should I wick up to a 27 ply wick or should I jump to a 30 ply? All replies would be greatly appricated

24 flat ply should handle that size, but how long has it been burning? How many burns has it had? Is there an air pocket? And I would think you could go to a 27, but I don't know about a 30. That seems like it might be too big. All dependent on how you've been burning of course. Ocean isn't a heavy scent. Maybe it's your wax though.

I see you earned the paper clip ;)

Why don't you let this burn a little more and see what happens as it goes down. Might as well see how the wick is going to perform in the wax. If it remains the same say 1/4 or 1/2 the way down, I probably would skip the 27 and go to the 30. If the 30 doesn't give you what you want, there's a 36, which you could try or opt for a different wick.

Adding: If you decide to wait it out and see what happens, snap a shot at 1/4 down and another at 1/2 and then we can go from there. Keep notes though. Even if those notes conclude with-- Never freaking again.

Beautiful blue color Littlefox. My experience with CBL 141 and dark colors with one ounce fo per lb = flat braid 30 ply. I don't have a whole lot of experience with it but do have some, and have even used a 36 ply with dark colors and fairly heavy fo (lilac and cinnamon scents) successfully.

In your picture it looks like your wick might be a bit off center. If you are using a wick pin, you might want to try a little method that I use. I tied a loop in the end of a piece of wick and then put the loop over the wick pin.

I then pulled the slack out of the string, not too tight, and made a mark on the string with an ink pen right where the string goes over the edge of the mold. By spinning the string in a circle around the top of the mold - holding the string tight enough to keep the slack out (keeping the same pressure on it all the way around) - but not tight enough to move the pin, I can check the pin for being centered by watching the position of the mark as I turn it. (hope this makes sense)

Of course it doesn't *keep* the pin centered, but it let's me know whether or not I have it centerd before I pour and I check it again a time or two as the wax is cooling after the pour. Sometimes I still get the wick a little off center but not nearly as much as before.

Hope this helps - your candle is very pretty - love your dark blue. Glad to see that you got your paperclip, too. :smiley2:

It's a bit difficult to see the ink mark but here's a pick.

post-4010-139458406372_thumb.jpg

I just finished 80 wedding pillars using CBL141, black dye, unscented and used flat braid #36 and they burn beautifully, I don't even need to hug them!! Also, I twist my wick so it burns evenly and doesn't lean just to one side which makes it look off center. :cool2:

I just finished 80 wedding pillars using CBL141, black dye, unscented and used flat braid #36 and they burn beautifully, I don't even need to hug them!! Also, I twist my wick so it burns evenly and doesn't lean just to one side which makes it look off center. :cool2:

Now you have me thinking about how to twist a wick and still use holes made by the wick pin without the wick untwisting....lol...doesn't really seem feasible. Mebbe I should ask Lisa if I can borrow some of those little 4 hour doobie dabby's to hold it in place...:grin2: kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

Your method makes perfect sense Everito Bandito (I just love your name)

Thanks - a friend of mine in high school (many moons ago) used to call me that. :smiley2:

Thanks - a friend of mine in high school (many moons ago) used to call me that. :smiley2:

Well when I read the name I get this little saying in my head (do not kill me, because I don't die easily ;) )

Everito Bandito munching on cheetohs wishing for a burrito. (It sucks, but I keep trying to rhyme stuff with that name.)

LITTLEOX!! I have all of those wicks lol. I could have sent you some to try out.

Well when I read the name I get this little saying in my head (do not kill me, because I don't die easily ;) )

Everito Bandito munching on cheetohs wishing for a burrito. (It sucks, but I keep trying to rhyme stuff with that name.)

LITTLEOX!! I have all of those wicks lol. I could have sent you some to try out.

Catch me if you canno...lol...love the avatar....but kinda hate to see the old one go....really loved it too! --- looks like the spec's are little kittyheads. :grin2:

Now you have me thinking about how to twist a wick and still use holes made by the wick pin without the wick untwisting....lol...doesn't really seem feasible. Mebbe I should ask Lisa if I can borrow some of those little 4 hour doobie dabby's to hold it in place...:grin2: kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

I didn't use wick pins, I just wicked my mold, so I could twist the wick.

I don't think Lisa wants you to borrow anything LOL....she's in the market to spam our boards and get rich, nasty attitude and all !! :rolleyes2 You can actually do that yourself anyway, just buy some little metal beads and thread them on your wick every inch or so, they will put your wick out!! Of course I don't know how you'd wick your candle LOL!!! :cool2:

Littleox

Did you say you are adding 1 oz of FO to 1/2 pound of wax? Did I read your original post right? If so, isn't that 20% FO in your wax? I only put in 1 oz per 1 pound of wax.

no one and a half pounds of wax to 1 oz fo

When I first saw the name it reminded me of a commercial I used to see when I was a little girl...It was a Fritos commercial and a cartoon of a Mexican guy with a big sombrero singing "Aye yi yi yi...I am the Frito Bandito ....I like Fritos cornchips , I love them I do , give me Fritos cornchips I be friend to you.....Aye yi yi yi .........."...

thats when you would get erasers of the Frito Bandito and stuff in the Fritos bags.....MAN Im old....

Deana

I googled the Frito Bandito just now and found the words to the song and stuff about him...heres a link http://64.41.109.149/school/bandito.html

Has absolutly nothing to do with candles, I know, but someone brought up something about the name and I had a nastalgia moment.....many apologies.........But happy memories !!! and thats what matters !!!!

Deana

• 1 month later...

BLACK WEDDING pillars!?!?! LMFAO

The bride must have had a wicked sense of humor! Must not have been her first wedding (or she's not planning on it being her last). :laugh2: