A Whipped Soap Recipe

Brenda

Here's the recipe I've been using for the whipped soap I had pics of in the gallery.

Whipped Soap (Crisco)

These amounts fill up a standard kitchenaid mixer without being overly full.

Palm 10 oz.

Coconut 12 oz.

Crisco 10 oz.

Sweet Almond 8 oz.

Castor 2 oz.

Lye 6.03 oz.

Distilled Water 14.95 oz.

2 oz. FO and desired colorant

Prepare the lye solution in advance. I put mine in the fridge so it will cool off completely.

Whip the solid oils together in a large mixer (use wire whip) until light and fluffy. Add the liquid oils all at once and whip again. You will achieve a softer mix but it should still form soft peaks when the whip is lifted out.

Incorporate the cold lye solution a little at a time. (It usually takes me about 5 pourings to get in all in with no splashing.) Turn the mixer on low as you pour it in a small steady stream, remembering those rubber gloves and paper towels to wipe up drops from the pours. Whip a little once the lye disappears from the surface, pour again, and repeat the process until it's all in. You will feel the "thickening" begin.

At this point FO can be added IF it's one that doesn't seize a regular soap recipe. If it is you will want to add your colorant first before the FO goes in. (This is kind of a pain when you want to use multiple colors in the batch. Several bowls sitting around that you have to add FO to and get it mixed in thoroughly...)

Add the FO, mix thoroughly and spoon into desired pattern in a lined mold! Swirl with a table knife. Tap mold sharply on counter to try rid the soap of air bubbles. Let sit uncovered on counter. Soap can be unmolded the following day. Cut with thin wire (or use dental floss like I did today, wrapping the floss around something solid so you don't slice your skin like I did the other day.)

:)

I had two batches seize on me (gets the texture of solid mousse and then hardens and gets crumbly) so I plopped it all back in the bowl and whipped the snot out of it. It will act like HP at that point but is "pourable" if you get it in the molds quickly. (The FOs that siezed were SC Brown Sugar & Fig and Shaw Mudge Watermelon Slices.)

Yes thank you for sharing Brenda :yay:

2 ??s :

What temp should the lye be (you said cool, what is cool in degrees)

and

I just want to make sure you don't melt any of the ingredients (butters/oils)?? Just use at room temp.

TIA :)

You're welcome! :)

I use the lye chilled! I put it in the fridge to cool it and use it cold.

Don't melt anything - all done at room temp (It's a wonderful thing.) I'm making another batch this morning and had to chill the coconut oil that came in the bucket from Columbus because it was all liquid... You want the solid oils softly solid.

Have fun!

Have Fun ?! I won't be trying it anytime soon-LOL. I need to get CP figured out before I attempt the whipped soap.

I'm back at the degrees for the lye (when I try it... someday :grin2:) should it be like CP soap and have the lye around 100 degrees? or should it be even cooler?

Have Fun ?! I won't be trying it anytime soon-LOL. I need to get CP figured out before I attempt the whipped soap.

I'm back at the degrees for the lye (when I try it... someday :grin2:) should it be like CP soap and have the lye around 100 degrees? or should it be even cooler?

Cooler! At least as cool as room temperature if not cooler! That's why I chill it. :)

I'm no expert, but I find this EASIER than regular CP! Mix it up and let it sit til it's firm enough to cut with a thin wire (or dental floss). I would encourage you to try it if you have all the ingredients. You can use olive oil in place of sweet almond. It works great too. The lye and water numbers I used with olive in place of the almond are: Lye - 6.02 and Distilled water - 14.91 oz. Same weights of all the oils in the recipe shown above.

If you have an FO that doesn't accelerate trace, you'll have plenty of time to fuss around with it before it sets up on you - I've found I get about 15 minutes or so to color and glop it in the molds and swirl. I don't think you will be sorry that you didn't wait! :cheesy2:

You are all very welcome! :yay: I've found a wealth of information and advice from CT members here. Sharing this little recipe that I'm experimenting with is just a small start at repaying all the your kindness and generosity. :)

One more question Brenda,

When you pipe those little rosettes with the cake decorating tip do you just use a little that was left over out of your mold? I'm worrying that if I take too long it will set up? Am I right? So you plop the majority in a mold and quickly pipe a few rosettes? Or will it stay soft enough, long enough to pipe a whole batch in rosettes?? Did I make this confusing enough?? lol. Also you insulate like regular CP?

GLO

Well I used the recipe on Nizzy's site because I did not have some of the ingredients that Brenda posted.

I made two batches. The first one I followed the recipe but did not soften my cocoa butter. Even after whipping the daylights out of it with my KitchenAid there were still small pieces of the cocoa butter that did not mix with the rest of the oils. They turned out okay but not nice enough to sell.

The second batch I made I heated my cocoa butter in the microwave to make it a bit softer. I whipped it even longer. It turned out great! I put this in a frosting bag and made snowmen for the Christmas season. I have yet to decorate them but the bodies are done.

NOTE TO EVERYONE MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE USING GLOVES WHEN YOU ATTEMPT THIS. YOU ARE GUARANTEED TO GET SOME ON YOUR HANDS FROM THE FROSTING BAG AND I HAVE THE LYE HOLES TO PROVE IT ON TWO FINGERS THIS MORNING!! :mad:

One more question Brenda,

When you pipe those little rosettes with the cake decorating tip do you just use a little that was left over out of your mold? I'm worrying that if I take too long it will set up? Am I right? So you plop the majority in a mold and quickly pipe a few rosettes? Or will it stay soft enough, long enough to pipe a whole batch in rosettes?? Did I make this confusing enough?? lol. Also you insulate like regular CP?

GLO

I just pipe the leftovers, but I think I might try making a half recipe and pipe the whole thing. Yep, most of the mix goes in the mold! I do not insulate - it sits out uncovered at room temp.

Mountainmadness - sorry about your lye burns. It is messy stuff! I know what you mean about the butter "specks" - that happened to me on my first recipe with some mango butter. :embarasse

But you got your little snowmen made! :highfive: Looking forward to seeing them on the gallery when they've got their features on. :smiley2:

Hello ~ I have been reading these boards for about a month or so now. I am really excited to make my first batch of soap. For the whipped soap recipe is there anything that I can substitute for Palm Oil? If not, is there somewhere locally that I can buy it?

One more question. Are any of you affraid to use your Kitchenaid with Lye? I would be affraid to eat stuff I made in it afterward. I hope this isn't a dumb question! I just got a new pink KA for Christmas and I baby it.

I guess I will be suiting up in an astronaut suit to make my first batch of soap!!

Thank you for your help.

~ Debby

P.S. Does anyone have any pics of their whipped soap?

• 2 weeks later...
And I'm just wondering - what is the point of whipped soap? Is it a visual thing or is there another benefit like feel?

For me it's a novelty item, something fun to make and use. The lather on the bars I've been making is lighter and more bubbly than my other recipes yet just as nice on the skin (been using avocado oil as one of the soft oils.)

I must admit that I was intrigued by the whole "it floats" thing. :o

I really enjoy the whole process and like the way the scents and coloring turn out in this type of soaping. But there is no magical benefit that I know of - just fun.

Just remembered I needed to answer "What does it look like?" - When I'm done whipping it all up and am ready to plop it into the mold or piping bag it's smooth and has the texture of softly whipped heavy cream. It's not stiff like a whipped body butter but more like an angel food cake batter that plops all over the place if you're not careful.

I followed your recipe twice now to the "T" - 1st time did not whip up at all after an hour of whipping the first oils, 2nd time I got the hard oils to whip, but when I added the soft oils it all went back to liquid and could not get it whipped again. I added all the soft oils at once - was I supposed to do it slower? Is there a trick to it? Tia, Sandy

I followed your recipe twice now to the "T" - 1st time did not whip up at all after an hour of whipping the first oils, 2nd time I got the hard oils to whip, but when I added the soft oils it all went back to liquid and could not get it whipped again. I added all the soft oils at once - was I supposed to do it slower? Is there a trick to it? Tia, Sandy

That's odd. :undecided Those first three oils should have whipped up nicely for you in way less time than an hour. Were your palm and coconut oils nice and firm or were they semi-liquid? The only thing I can think is that they might need a little time in the fridge so they are whipable.

When the solid oils are whipped I pour the soft oils in all at once; just as described in the recipe. I'm really stymied by your problems. Maybe if you drizzle soft oils in while the whisk is moving?

Has anyone else tried this recipe? Did you experience the same difficulty?

It's worked every time for me.

I used the recipe this past weekend and didn't have any problems with it at all. It did take a couple of extra days in the mold to get firm enough to cut. It was my first experience with whipped soap but I think it turned out pretty good.

Thanks for sharing your recipe Brenda

I realized on the 2nd try that the solid oils did need to be solid - regrigerated them till mostly hard and they whipped up it was adding the soft oils I had the problem with - I am going to try it again when the weather cools a little - your soaps are gorgeous!