self extinguishing candle/wick

Hello everyone. I am new to your sight. I was wondering if you all like the idea of a new type of candle/ wick. Meaning a candle that will extinguish a flame every four hours and can be relit. This was developed and designed for crazy, busy people like myself who was constantly leaving the house just to have friends go back and break in to see if I blew out my candle before leaving home. Something had to give. I hired an engineer and got a grant and made and designed a new wick. Not sure what others will think about it. Just hopping to get a little insight from you. thanks much Lisa Keiffer. You could also email me at shipshape626@aol.com. Thanks.

Well I have gone away and come back to this thread for several hours now. I personally don't believe this is possible it might be for the wax and FO you are using but to say that a wick will do all you are saying you would have to have tested in every wax that is being used on the market along with every FO in every wax in every container that a candle maker could possible put a candle in. Then there is the combo of wax we come up with ourselves. Then things will change if you start with the additives.

Honestly there are way to many variables for what you are proposing.

Well I have gone away and come back to this thread for several hours now. I personally don't believe this is possible it might be for the wax and FO you are using but to say that a wick will do all you are saying you would have to have tested in every wax that is being used on the market along with every FO in every wax in every container that a candle maker could possible put a candle in. Then there is the combo of wax we come up with ourselves. Then things will change if you start with the additives.

Honestly there are way to many variables for what you are proposing.

"I hired an engineer and got a grant and made and designed a new wick."

So it looks like she wasted her time and the grant money.

If she would have tested, she might have found out, she would have to design hundereds of different wicks to work in all the different combos in candles out there.

If it really would work..... Then it would be a great wick to use..

But as Vicky said... Different combinations of wax, additives , dyes will effect each wicks burning performance.:cry2:

I for one would love to test some these and see just how well it works!!!

(Are you sending out some free samples:cheesy2: ) LOL

Very interesting!! Best of Luck to you!:cool2:

Well, I for one.....who preaches candle safety and rolls my eyes when someone says they left a candle burning during the night, apparently need something like this.

I went to bed last night, decided to come downstairs for a glass of water and - guess what??? Yup, my tester candle was burning!!!!! :o Not even a tried and true one, but a TESTER!!! What an IDIOT!!! No harm done, thank goodness.....

The USPTO patent application is interesting. I for some reason can not see the images/drawings with the application (tried 2 different browsers), but it sounds like there in the simplest terms, it sounds like there are fire resistant discs of some sort (about 2.5" in diameter?) spaced every 1/4" or so vertically up the wick assembly?? Am I understanding that correctly?

The app sounds like a unique and interesting concept, but the whole disc (or "appliance" as it's referred to) set-up sounds like it's pretty cumbersome and large. Course I could be totally misunderstanding it.

However, I only saw that 3 tests were done for 2 hours each in paraffin. Hmmm.

I'm not clear if this is an appliance that can work in conjuction with currently marketed wicks of any size, or if the wick itself if a new product to be used along with the appliance. There's simply no way that this can work for more than the one size candle they tested (4" hgt. 3" dia.) unless it works with wicks we already use.

And even then........

Hello. I read that you would like more information. You can actually view the wick itself on the USPTO.gov web site. It is under "Smart Wick" It was Patented May 9, 2006. I have had these wicks tested. They best work in a 8oz candle or smaller. The purpose of these were to give people a choice. That's all. We happened to like them. I would love to answer more of your questions. Thank you Lisa Keiffer

Hello. Just wanted to respond to some of your questions. To the candle man. You are absolutely right! Testing does require more than 3 tests. That is exactly what we have been doing for the last year while we have been waiting for the patent rights to come through. All I am saying is that it would be nice to offer this to people who love candles but do forget to burn them out. And by the way the candle snuffer idea is already out there. The combination of variables that we are using are limited. However, it is simply a choice that a person makes. I am more into safety and the protection of my home and family. I really believe that others feel the same. But thank you for the nice welcome to this sight. It is appreciated.n Lisa Keiffer

You are right. As I explained in a reply. The variables do matter as far a size. However, the point is to give people an option. I for one really needed one. Maybe I am a member of a small group but the thought of loosing all my valued possesions in my home due to being forgetful about a lit candle is what motivated me. We at the present time are making the wicks and the candles. I would be more than happy to send you one in the near future for you to decide if you like it or not. Thanks.

I can certainly see value in the idea but, with all due respect :smiley2: would like to see more value in the product if you know what I mean. Are you waiting for the patent to be completed before posting some pictures and some more info on how it works or could you post some pictures now.

Is it a device that can be used with other wicks or is it wicks with device already installed? I suspect the latter would require much more production in order to meet demands of many different wick types and sizes.

Whatever the case, best regards, and good luck with it.

Well I have some questions

What wax did you test in? soy, paraffin, palm, beeswax, parasoy ect..

Did you use any of the above straight or did you add additives?

What kind of containers did you test in? You said 8 oz or less that is a large area to cover.

These are just a few of the questions I would have before I would even consider your wick.

Hello Vicki.

When we made our candles and we have made many some candles were made with par. wax, some were made with bees wax. We made candles with straight wax and candles in which we used and added adit. The containers used were basically 8 oz. They ranged from jelly jars to tin cans. As far as the appliances needed to make the completed wicks, they can range from your basic wick to braided ones. I think everyone is misunderstanding me. There is no way to use these wicks in all types of candles. For instance a Yankee candle would be impossible. The range of said candle to make a difference. If you would like to view the patent pictures and can not access the gov. web site. You can punch the words "smart wick" into your search engine and it should come up. Anyone interested, I would be more than happy to send you some of the appliances need to make the wicks. You can make them yourself and the base the average extinguish rate how you so desire. The wicks are not hard to make. Ok bye for now.

Anyone wanting to try the appliances, please email me at shipshape626@aol.com and I would be glad to send them a few to view. However, keep in mind they are specially made.

If a normal wick can be bought for 1 to 3 cents each, how much will this invention raise the cost of production. I think most of us make safe candles here so that extra buffer of safety might not be worth the price with wax prices on the rise. Were you a candle maker before this or just a consumer? Bruce

I am seeing what you are Bruce. I am not only thinking about the possible time consumption of setting this up to be ready to pour, but the extra cost, and the fact that the average consumer is not going to want something that high maintenance heck we can't even get most people to trim the wicks.