frustrated nubie

:mad: I cant seem to find a good grade of fo. My candles just dont have a good hot or cold throw . Ive bought frome LNS,JBN, Ive even bought from a mall oil store. I dont know if it is my wax I just dont know. I have been reading your forum for a while and it seems that everyone has been at it for a while does anyone have any info for me . I thing I have been to every web site and eveyone says they have the best product. HELP!!!!!!:)

hey Buster...the only advice I can give you is #1. you got to have good high grade fragrance oils from reputable companies...#2. Oils that I like...are usually scents that most people don't like...some like moderate cold and hot throws and others like knock your socks off types that I can't stand...and most poeople on this board will tell you...you need to find a good wax and stick with it...and when you do...you'll find that some fragrance oils will knock your socks off and some that you really like will only have a moderate hot and cold throw... I have used a number of waxes over the years and I seem to always come back to J50 or 4786/soy blend... and I have even tried J223/and soy 50-50 hope this helps...You can usually find an answer for any questions you might have from the most knowledgable people in this forum.

JBN has very high grade FOs, I haven't tried every one of them, but quite a few and use quite a few. Not sure who LNS is. Lonestar? FO is only one part of why a candle may not smell. You're production methods/wax/wick may be the problem.

:) All of you are very nice to help me . I sincerely appreciate all of your kindness. Well i started with the c3 and then added j50. did not get what I was looking for. Now i have jbn 50/50. And I also bought some fo from them. I am just trying to get that HT and CT. Nothing is knocking my socks off.I follow directions to the book. But there is so much conflicting info. I read about ez soy and eco advanced. What do you all think .:cheesy2:

I'm right with you...I'm getting pretty discouraged and frustrated. I've been mainly testing with C3. I've tried C1, Golden's 402 & 444 with different wicks too...LX, Zinc, CDR, RRDs. So far I think the best throw out of the 3 is the 444 but it's an ugly looking candle. So far no scents are knocking my socks off. I'm going to test out GL's 70/30 just to see if there is a big enough difference in throw to start looking into blends. I do notice with the C3 the longer it sits the stronger it gets but still not the throw I'm wanting.

:) All of you are very nice to help me . I sincerely appreciate all of your kindness. Well i started with the c3 and then added j50. did not get what I was looking for. Now i have jbn 50/50. And I also bought some fo from them. I am just trying to get that HT and CT. Nothing is knocking my socks off.I follow directions to the book. But there is so much conflicting info. I read about ez soy and eco advanced. What do you all think .:cheesy2:
If you have the JBN 50/50 and their FOs and are still having problems give Donnie (at JBN) a call. He will be more than happy to help you. He's helped me a lot in the past. :) You may want to try a zinc wick in that 50/50, I tried it before with my CDs and LXs and they smoked no matter what I did so I gave up on that wax as I didn't want to switch to zinc.

I also would like to add that LS told me to add vyabar to the c3 and i have added beeswax to the 50/50. Just alot of different combos.And different wics like eco and rrd .:rolleyes2 It just seems as though they want you to fail :P . So that you keep going back. Its almost like an obsession to get it right. I have spoken to many companys like CR GB,IGI, ect. And they all say they have the best product I have found that alot of these supply places just rename the same product. So it can get very over whelming . From what I'm told there really is only three main brands.The wholesale company just slap a name on it and wala . Different product. This is just what I have heard .

Once again I'm right there with you. I've spent countless hours reading old posts in hopes of finding clues to finding a great performing soy wax. I have a mentor in a different state tell me what she uses (she wholesales her candles)...I tried it on my end and the scent throw is just ok plus it was an ugly candle. Maybe I'm just too picky and scent throw is probably good enough for potential buyers. I've even bought an Er'go candle to test and mirror but all their scents are perfume like but have fantastic scent throw for a small 7oz. container.

I'm pretty new myself. I found that the J50 has a very strong HT and CT. I use the zinc wicks with that wax, but it isn't the prettiest candle, lots of wet spots and just doesn't seem to color real good. I tried JS123...it looks beautiful in the jar, no wet spots and gorgeous colors but not a good scent throw. I can't seem to wick it properly either. I'm thinking about mixing the 2 waxes and see what I come up with. Maybe this week end I'll give that a try. My candles burned very clean with the J50, no wax on the sides and burned good all the way to the bottom, just not satisfied with the general appearance. It gets so confussing and frustrating :cry2: ...Don't know what do to next! Plus I bought new jars, melting pot jars and can't get them wicked right no matter what I try! Oh well...keep on testing I guess. Dee

Buster, Lone Star FOs are really good for the most part. I use a lot of them. The C3 is very difficult for me, so I add it to J223 (2/3 223, 1/3 C3.) Heat to almost 200 and then add FO & dye. Pour at 175-180. A lot of Lone Star's oils need the extra heat to blend. I use CD & Zinc wicks. Good luck!

I agree, Lone Star fragrance oils are very good. I've never had a problem with them not being potent. I'm not familiar with C3 or JBN wax, I'm assuming they may be soy or soy blended waxes? If they are, soy needs to cure at least one to two weeks before you get a good strong throw both hot and cold. Sometimes, even with J-50, and this is rare, a scent will not throw right away, but put it aside for a week or two and you'll find you've got a great throwing candle...that is if it's wicked correctly and you have used the appropriate amount of FO to wax ratio. As far as J-50 looking ugly, I know you didn't say it, but someone else did, I'm surprised by that comment. Although it is prone to wet spots, like most paraffin container waxes, it colors beautifully for me and it has a nice creamy, smooth consistency, along with great throw.

I poured GL's 70/30 3 days ago and burned today just to test wick size (made a dup and saving it to cure longer) and let me tell you I'm highly impressed with the hot throw of this wax. So far it wins over 100% soy waxes that I've tried. I know that's not comparing apples to apples but if you're looking for a strong hot throw I'm glad to tell you this is one of them. I had no issues with frosting, sink holes, wet spots or ugly tops...top was absolutely perfect for me. I think now it's going to be too hard to go back to 100% soy after dealing with frosting, bubbles, wet spots, and especially cold/hot throw issues. GL is in driving distance for me too, woohoo!

I was told by a professional that because of the varying polarity of FOs some simply aren't going to work with certain waxes. While one with throw like crazy in wax X - it won't at all in wax Y.

Now, if you look at a company like Er'go - the MOST they have in one line is around 12 Fragrances. Many have 3 or 4 or 5 - or even 2. I'm sure they have went though countless hours of testing to find what works for them in their wax/wick/container systems - and DON'T sell the other ones that failed.

Its not a conspiracy - its just work!

GL gave me a free pound of wax and 1oz of FO to test with which I have to

say not one of the others even offerd. I have to say so far it looks great it is perfect looking.:yay: I am waiting to cure for a couple of days. Andrea

• 3 weeks later...

hey you sound like me what works with soy wax? feel like i am just spening money not making any been with this appx 5 months what is the perfect mix SOY WAX WICKS SCENT ?????? TEST TEST RETEST GET ONE THING RIGHT THEN THE OTHER THING IS WRONG ,DO I GIVE UP OR WHAT?????????

Buster...don't give up...I'm new also, I have spent a small fortune and have even considered a second job to support my addiction but thank goodness I have actually sold some of my candles to sympathetic friends and family which was very nice of them. Just keep trying, take good notes, you will eventually get a candle that will meet your criteria. :D