Hey butter, butter, butter

Scented

Just a simple question (I think). For those who use butters in their soaps, do you up the superfat to 6 or 7% or leave it at say 5% and if you superfat to 6 or 7, is it to get more benefits from the butter? I have a ton of butter that I better get to using, but wanted to ask. I seem to remember someone saying always superfat butters.

AND (I've been in search of bubbles in the past) butters don't affect the bubbly bubbles too much do they?

TIA.

Just speaking from my limited experience and my knowledge of chemistry....

Lye doesn't discriminate between oils there at the beginning and those added at trace. It saponifies whatever it can get it's little tiny hands on and we really have no way of knowing which "bits" get left as fat and which get turned into soap.

As far as bubbles, well all I know is that I made a 100% shea butter soap just for kicks and it doesn't have any bubbles to speak of. But when I use btters in my other batches they are very nice even at 15%+ butter!

BTW - I have 4 chunks of 100% shea soap if you or anyone else wants to try them.

Just speaking from my limited experience and my knowledge of chemistry....

Lye doesn't discriminate between oils there at the beginning and those added at trace. It saponifies whatever it can get it's little tiny hands on and we really have no way of knowing which "bits" get left as fat and which get turned into soap.

As far as bubbles, well all I know is that I made a 100% shea butter soap just for kicks and it doesn't have any bubbles to speak of. But when I use btters in my other batches they are very nice even at 15%+ butter!

BTW - I have 4 chunks of 100% shea soap if you or anyone else wants to try them.

Carol is correct. Kinda annoying that she is new and spouting out this stuff all the time *** but *** clearly, she pays attention. :laugh2:

I use butters at 5% in every single batch.

I use 3 different butters in my soaps at 5% each and up my babassu a touch to compensate for the butters negating some of my bubbles. I superfat at 5% and reap the benefits of my butters. I don't like to superfat any higher in this heat for fear of DOS!! :tongue2:

My experience - I've used shea butter up to 20% in a recipe without it affecting the bubbles/lather at all (use 6% castor in the same recipe). All my oils go in at one time - I don't add any oils or butters at trace. I used to, but didn't see any difference in the end product and just got aggravated trying to add them at trace when a lot may be going on! :smiley2:

Yeah I know that lye grabs what it can lol.

At least I know you all go with 5% and not higher for superfatting. Thanks for everyone's input.

And thanks for the offer Carol, but I must turn it down. I've too much soap here from other people that I may never get to try it.

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's easier to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs".

Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread but I just have to comment on your quote Meridith......I luv it!!!

Yeah I know that lye grabs what it can lol.

That's one of the 1st things you learn in soaping. I think its called "Soaping 101." LOL :P

And thanks for the offer Carol, but I must turn it down. I've too much soap here from other people that I may never get to try it.

Well expect another one scented "Goddess" that is in your goodie box going out on Monday. You will get your fix of Goddess. I hope you find time to use this one. :tongue2: