Old Virgina Candles

OVC's are up on the purchasing block on QVC in 7 minutes....this is going to be interesting. I have never seen them on QVC before ( could be because I have rarely watched QVC before:undecided )....but I was unaware that any candle company was doing this. SMART...very, very SMART ,seems like to me ,for this candle brand.

Holy CRAP! They have an HOUR! They are totally pushing the "stoppers"

OMG they are cracking me UP:laugh2: :laugh2: Not that the telephone calls are staged or anything!

.....and I am sure they are laughing all the way to the bank! Would LOVE to know what this hour cost them and how much revenue they generate. I have to give them credit for keeping their prices decent. Would HATE IT if they sold out too cheap.

I know a candle maker that was approached by QVC at the Chicago market and she was told $35,000 for a spot, I don't know if this was for one hour because I don't watch so don't know how the times are broken down. they told her the sales she would generate then and afterwards would more than pay for the spot. she didn't do it.

OVC has been featured on QVC many, many times and it seems like they almost always sell out - especially around the holidays. If you've watched enough QVC (like me) they often sell out of just about everything no matter what it is. BTW, I've purchased lots of stuff from QVC over the years and have no complaints about their service or the quality of their products. I have not however purchased any OVC candles from them. No particular reason why - I just haven't.

I enjoy reading the threads and this is my first post to the message boards! I've learned so much from all the candle pros out there!

A candle carver in my town was on there a couple of times about 10+ years ago making light house candles on the spot. I dont think it cost anything back then... maybe because it was a demo and interesting to watch. She had to have x amount of candles made up for them to start and then enough to restock. I hear they were working about 24/7 for a while. Bruce

I know a candle maker that was approached by QVC at the Chicago market and she was told $35,000 for a spot
For those of you who have $35K to spend - and don't want to spend it on a QVC slot - you can buy a house in my town! For that low price, it won't be a big or fancy house, and it likely to need some work, but it will be a whole house. :D

It is interesting food for thought. If the spot costs you $35,000 and you can recoup that in enough profit from sales to pay it (not to mention the write off in advertising costs).......and you have a product that people will like enough to purchase again...seems like it would be a wise investment considering the nation wide exposure for your brand.It seems much more cost effective that any form of TV I know of.......that is assuming, of course that people DO watch QVC and you sell the numbers we are talking about.

I was just somewhat surprised to see all this because I am not a regular QVC viewer.....I just usually flip through it.

Not to sound ignorant or arrogant...Is there any "stigma" attached to products sold on QVC? Just asking...I have no idea.There is no way I could manufacture enough product to do this personally but I do know people that could churn out these numbers with their own products. Would a "high end" reputable company use QVC or would that be an emphatic NO?

I, too, have purchased LOTS from QVC, and I have never been unhappy. Once or twice I sent things back that I simply changed my mind about. I was refunded with no questions asked. I have purchased several Valerie Parr Hill candles, which are made by Hannahs. The gel preserve candles were what got me interested in making my own. I have also spent a fortune on Philosphy products through them. A local jewelry maker here was approached several years back and was told he had to have $10,000 worth of products to air. He did it and sold out immediately.

Hey Michael - I don't think there is any 'stigma' attached to QVC - they carry lots of 'name brands' and other unique/unusual stuff. I love QVC Quacker Factory Sweaters for the holidays and bought a hand carved wool rug (that I think I got for a steal!) that is beautiful! I have also bought several other things from QVC and have been satisfied. I haven't watched much lately but go on-line when I am looking for something unusual or holiday stuff!

Debbie