Storing Wicks and FO?

KMommy

Does anyone have any creative space saving techniques to store wicks and FO's? I currently have a ton of wicks and I have them stored in individual zip lock bags with the type and size written on the front. As for FO's I transfer them to glass bottles so those are all on the very bottom shelves of my cabinets. I am trying to re-organize my work space and thought you guys might have some suggestions.

Just pursuing posts and noticed no one replied to you :(

I'm sure I have far less than you, but I just started experimenting with more than my usual different wick types and with just different ones I'm starting to hate plastic bags and digging through a box. I was thinking of those hardware supply places or maybe Target - those plastic boxes with drawers with labels on the front for each wick type/size. Maybe it won't save any room really - but maybe will help with organization?

I store fo's in a closed cabinet alphabetically by supplier. Makes it easy to see what I need when I order from a particular place. I have the bottles lined up in rows, with 2x4 boards stacked in back for height. Back row sits on several stacked boards, middle row sits on a shorter stack, front row sits on the shelf itself, KWIM?

Wicks I store in large covered plastic containers with size and type clearly labeled so I don't accidentally grab the wrong one. LOL The containers stack nicely. Each goes in its own special place so once again, I don't accidentally wick wrong. heh heh

I have my wicks in those lil plastic "shoe" boxes. I got them at a local store for $.99 each - I wrote on each end which wick it is. I buy wicks in 1000 lots so when I get them in I put 300 in the tub then 200 in a gallon size storage bag. I put the storage bags in a tub then write on a lable what's in there so I don't have to dig. All the lil tubs stack nicely on this cheap lil shelf I got at Menards (I think it was like $15 at the most!). The tub goes in my storage area (my space behind my door that's kind of a pain to get to!)

As for my FOs I put them in those plastic baskets that you can get at Wally world for I think $3. Stearlite (?) makes them - they have lil holes and gray (or blue) handles. I have three of those that I have sorted into groups of scents and labeled as such. I have a fourth basket that is just for seasonal scents and samples. When I finish a bottle of FO, I put it in my box of stuff to order (an old wax box that I throw all my wrappers and bottles in so I remember to get more - I don't throw them out til I have the replacement purchased!). I am trying to figure out a better system for my FOs though because I need the big shelf space for storing something bigger. I was thinking of getting one of those pantries that you can buy at one of the BigBox stores, cutting the shelves in half and then putting two of those wire racks on the inside of the door. I'm just not sure how stable that would be and if the doors could handle that much weight - maybe only do the lower half that way and leave the upper shelves whole and put containers up there... it's an idea anyway...

Life & Light!

Tish

I'm just not sure how stable that would be and if the doors could handle that much weight - maybe only do the lower half that way and leave the upper shelves whole and put containers up there... it's an idea anyway...

Life & Light!

Tish

Tish, I think you would be surprised at how much weight those "over the door" hangers/racks accomodate. I have one in my garage over the door that leads to the hot water heater and it is holding LOTS of "weighty" stuff. I would suggest that you nail (there are usually holes in them) the bracket to the top of the door just in case you get them two heavy and they bend and fall.I am speaking with the voice of authority here...ask me how I know? :undecided The baskets will NOT hold EVERYTHING in the garage....but close!

LOL - you haven't seen my garage!! Infact if I go dormant for about a month on here - that's why. Hub said that if I clean out the garage, he will finally give me the OK to finish out the garage and make it my studio. Now if it would just cool down a little bit I could be done by September! LOL

Anyway - I wasn't worried so much about the wire racks not holding - I was more worried about the cheap partical board doors going all whacko! I have a similar thing in my kitchen and my kids have beat it all to he!! trying to get their cereal in the morning! and its already lost it's lower doors and the handles on the drawers are barely hangin' on... Sad thing is it's only two years old and I paid like $170 for it!! I guess you get what you pay for! I just like the idea of having my FOs out of light and out of my way! I keep my EOs in the cabinet under my pouring counter but that's such a pain in the butt! I'd love to have everything in one place...

organization is an enigma to me.... lol

Life & Light!

Tish