Trying to figure out Nature Wax C3

Hi All!

This is my first post, but I have been lurking around researching for a while now. I am currently trying to make 8 oz jjs with C3 but I am having trouble with throw even after allowing some time to cure. I am using Lonestar FO at 6%. I have been mixing FO at 180 and pouring around 160. Is there something I am doing wrong?

I have also read that beeswax can help with hot throw, would adding that be a good idea?

And does anyone know how to prevent the sinkholes, or is that just a consequence of using this wax?

TIA for your advice!

Not all fragrances work very well. Your temps sound good. You could try curing longer. Sorry, I haven't tried any Lonestar FOs, but there's a thread listing scents that have worked well in soy on here. It's a sticky at the top of one of the pages, either the Veg. Candle or the Fragrance section. The sinkholes seem to be hit or miss with me. Pouring slowly and cooling slowly seem to make a difference for me, but then they pop up again. Heat guns are good for those. :)

You could try beeswax, but it could just be your FO. I don't add anything to mine. HTH!

I too use the C3, but my problems have been cracks rather than sink holes. Just for fun, I played around and added 25% paraffin. It fixed the problem. I recently purchased an FO from Lone Star, and honestly, I haven't been impressed. I also bought some samplers from soycandle.com - what a HUGE difference!! I also noted a difference in the viscocity of the oils, the soycandle samples being noticeably thicker. I also purchased some USA from them, but I have yet to try it out in the C3. I'll keep you posted!! HTH.

-Mare

C3 needs at least a week cure time....and most of Lonestar FO's you will need to use 7-9% for them to be effective in soy. I use several of their oils and am very happy with them. If it is a light scent (like a water type scent), it probably won't throw well or at all.

I'm a C3 wax user as well and even though I haven't figured out the right wick to burn the pouring I've had a lot of practice at. Someone suggested (I think either Kerry or AngelaV) to pour at 180 to prevent bad sink holes. I did and that seemed to help a ton. I also put a box over mine and group the candles. I still have to use a heat gun for the top though for any cracks or minor sink holes. HTHs!

Would love to know what kind of wick you're using?? I'm using 8oz. containers too and waiting for some sampler packs to arrive before I give up on this durn wax!

I'm also a C 3 user and found the CD wicks to work real well with this wax. And curing can take from 1 week to longer depending on the FO. I pour at 160 and yes still have to take a heat gun to some of the tops but then that leads me to beleive it may have something to do with different FO's. HTH

C-3 needs to be poured hot. When I tested, I poured around 180 and didn't have sinkholes or cracks.

I would also try curing a while longer. If that doesn't solve the problem, test again with more FO. If that doesn't work, add some paraffin (unless you don't want a parasoy blend). Check your wicking too, because the wrong wick can impede the scent throw. HTH :)

have used the c-3 and it NEEDS to be poured very hot, have found that the eco 12 wicks work extremely well with that wax in 16oz masons, but you do have to wick up to a 14 for heavier scents. Tried lonestar scents, was not really impressed, and I used at 10%..... and got leakage. The summer creamsicle threw very well, cherry not at all, mulled cider, kindof, I would try another scent company, as the c3 should be throwing well with the right wick, scent and cure time.

Thanks all for your responses!

I really want to make the C3 work for me since Lonestar is within driving distance and I can save myself the shipping charges. I had been using their products exclusively because I thought they were the only supplier around here, but I just recently read that Greenleaf is close too. Actually, a lot closer only like 5 miles away :grin2: I will go there and try some of their FOs as well and see if that helps at all.

Silky, I am currently trying to use the CD wicks. I have tried sizes 10 - 14 so far with pretty good results depending on what scent I was using. The 12 seems to work the best so far.

Thanks all for your responses!

I really want to make the C3 work for me since Lonestar is within driving distance and I can save myself the shipping charges. I had been using their products exclusively because I thought they were the only supplier around here, but I just recently read that Greenleaf is close too. Actually, a lot closer only like 5 miles away :grin2: I will go there and try some of their FOs as well and see if that helps at all.

Silky, I am currently trying to use the CD wicks. I have tried sizes 10 - 14 so far with pretty good results depending on what scent I was using. The 12 seems to work the best so far.

If you don't have an absolute desire to use soy, try the Greenlead 70/30 blend. It's a great wax and I think you would be pleased with it. There are lots of threads on here about it and GL has their own message board too. I think it's easier to work with than C-3.

Good to know as I just ordered a 10 1oz. fo sampler from them. As good as it smells now, I can't imagine what it's going to smell like in a week when I burn it! Was looking for fallish scents:

#1: FRG-Cinnamon Buns

#2: FRG-Cinnamon Buns

#3: FRG-AmishHarvest

#4: FRG-Banana Nut Bread

#5: FRG-BlackRaspVanilla

#6: FRG-CappuccinoHazelnut

#7: FRG-CaramelApple

#8: FRG-SugarCookie

#9: FRG-WhiteTeaGinger

#10: FRG-MedFig

They were out of a few I really wanted to try...creme brulee, almond pastries, blueberry muffins, sweet pumpkin spice and vanilla hazelnut...hope they get some of those in soon!!!

Good to know as I just ordered a 10 1oz. fo sampler from them. As good as it smells now, I can't imagine what it's going to smell like in a week when I burn it! Was looking for fallish scents:

#1: FRG-Cinnamon Buns

#2: FRG-Cinnamon Buns

#3: FRG-AmishHarvest

#4: FRG-Banana Nut Bread

#5: FRG-BlackRaspVanilla

#6: FRG-CappuccinoHazelnut

#7: FRG-CaramelApple

#8: FRG-SugarCookie

#9: FRG-WhiteTeaGinger

#10: FRG-MedFig

They were out of a few I really wanted to try...creme brulee, almond pastries, blueberry muffins, sweet pumpkin spice and vanilla hazelnut...hope they get some of those in soon!!!

You got some great FOs! I love Vanilla Hazelnut too, so definitely order that one next time. Let me know what you think about the Med. Fig and Caramel Apple. I haven't tried those yet :)

Awesome...glad to know that...makes me even more excited! Just picked what sounded good to me and I love the creamier/nutty type smells so sometimes it's hard to branch out. Yes, I really wanted that one the most, van. hazelnut (aka creamy nutty!)...wonder how long they are usually out of stock on fo's?? I'm trying to hold back from ordering a sampler pack from JS...their new scents sound great, pumpkin & pralines (might just have to try that one!), kitchen spice (have that in b&bw here at home and love it) & home for the holidays. Think you're a JS fan...what's your favs there (fall scents)?

Yes, I will let you know about Med. Fig (someone mentioned that was good on the board...not sure what it'll smell like) and caramel apple (how can you go wrong there :~)!).

Awesome...glad to know that...makes me even more excited! Just picked what sounded good to me and I love the creamier/nutty type smells so sometimes it's hard to branch out. Yes, I really wanted that one the most, van. hazelnut (aka creamy nutty!)...wonder how long they are usually out of stock on fo's?? I'm trying to hold back from ordering a sampler pack from JS...their new scents sound great, pumpkin & pralines (might just have to try that one!), kitchen spice (have that in b&bw here at home and love it) & home for the holidays. Think you're a JS fan...what's your favs there (fall scents)?

Yes, I will let you know about Med. Fig (someone mentioned that was good on the board...not sure what it'll smell like) and caramel apple (how can you go wrong there :~)!).

Lol, I am definitely a JS fan. Diehard fan really. She has some great oils and really, the customer service is excellent. You must try the Pumpkin Nog - very creamy and rich. I love it. I also absolutely love Citrus Linen - very clean and fresh, but not laundry smelling (although I love laundry scents). Some other favs are Hot Baked Apple Pie, Cranberry Orange, Brown Sugar Pecan, Candied Blueberries, Egyptian Rose Geranium, Sea Mist, Cinnamon Roll w/ Vanilla Frosting, Berries and Cream, Celestial Waters (amazing!), Mimosa Mandarin, Satsuma, Chai Tea, Chocolate CinnaMousse, Apple Butter, Christmas Splendor, Hyacinth Chula Orchid, Fruit slices, Pink Lemonade, Lemon Magnolia, Spiced Clemetine Orange and Ultimate Vanilla.

Dang...you've convinced me!! Thanks for the fo info...greatly appreciated!!!

Hey, those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. If you want more recommendations, let me know. I've tried at least 60-75% of her oils :)

Wow, guess you've been at this a while eh?! I'm focusing on fall scents and not familar with all the scents yet but I think she has it broken down on her site for holiday ones if I'm not mistaken.

Here's the ones I'm looking at and you tell me what you think: My Mamma's Blueberry cobbler, pumpkin & pralines, vanilla buttercream crunch, vanilla maple surpreme, kitchen spice, maple pecan, buttercream hazelnut, toffee macchiato, brown sugar pecan, apple butter...what others do you think I'm missing for fallish type scents? Probably a lot... I think I've listed some that maybe too similar to one another (ie, maple pecan and brown sugar pecan). I also don't want to repeat too much from the Peak's list I just ordered. But I'm a sucker for ones that have the words maple, carmel, brown sugar, cream, hazelnut, etc... Whatever you think is good in soy is the most important though!!

Wow, guess you've been at this a while eh?! I'm focusing on fall scents and not familar with all the scents yet but I think she has it broken down on her site for holiday ones if I'm not mistaken.

Here's the ones I'm looking at and you tell me what you think: My Mamma's Blueberry cobbler, pumpkin & pralines, vanilla buttercream crunch, vanilla maple surpreme, kitchen spice, maple pecan, buttercream hazelnut, toffee macchiato, brown sugar pecan, apple butter...what others do you think I'm missing for fallish type scents? Probably a lot... I think I've listed some that maybe too similar to one another (ie, maple pecan and brown sugar pecan). I also don't want to repeat too much from the Peak's list I just ordered. But I'm a sucker for ones that have the words maple, carmel, brown sugar, cream, hazelnut, etc... Whatever you think is good in soy is the most important though!!

That sounds about right :) I would add Harvest, only because that's a great fall scent too - one of my favs and Becky's is very close to Yankme's Harvest. I would possibly add a cranberry in there too - like Cranberry Spice. Pumpkin Nog is also heavenly, but you may not want three pumpkin Fos, lol. Brown Sugar Pecan has no maple notes to it (that I can smell), so it should be different than the Maple Pecan (which I haven't tried). But you probably wouldn't want maple pecan and vanilla maple and of the two, I'd go with Vanilla Maple.

The only Fo I would definitely add to your list is Sugared Clementine Spice. It's much different than the others on your list. It's citrusy, with cinnamon and other spices - smells like this orange potpourri my mother used to make at Christmas. I love it :)