Ever had a chargeback from a customer?

soapmom25

ok, so my PayPal issue/experience (see my thread "if you take PayPal") has me wondering .... how often do chargebacks happen to other people? I know they happen, and always just felt "lucky" that it hadn't happened to me. Until now. I'm flat out mad that somebody can get away with this. We've been in business for over 5 years, and since we have specialty items, I honestly just never dreamed it would be an issue.

So if it's happened to you ~ what did you do? Will the police dept. do anything? If so, which one ~ their area or mine? Lawyer? Get over it, it happens? Write it off next year on your taxes as a loss?

Would love to hear from etailers and brick & mortar store owners both ~ curious to see which venue it's more common in!!

oh, this was a chargeback.....PayPal does not make the decision on these, the buyers cc does. PayPal takes a loss for handling the chargeback as well. Sorry that this happened to you.

But if you shipped within 7 days and responded to the chgbk within 10 days with valid tracking you should be covered under seller protection if you shipped to a confirmed address.

Like I said, call to get an explanation as to why you weren't covered.

FYI...I had one....but it was a smaller amount....but I shipped to an unconfirmed address for the purchaser - I know better than this being that I am an employee....but figured it was a small amount for the risk when the pmt initially came in....well, it did come bite me in the butt later, plus the $10 fee for not being seller protected :undecided .

I was the corporate chargeback manager of a large retail chain and if the package was delievered and the signature was not the same name as the persons name on the credit card and they say they did not receive it or authorize it the customer wins. But then you can go after UPS and file a claim with them if that is the case

But then you can go after UPS and file a claim with them if that is the case

Actually ... I can't do that because UPS has strick time limits and this is WAY past. Customer received the items in March, and chargeback occured in June.

Still hunting for info online for general time limitations, there just has to be a limit somewhere. Seems ridiculous that a claim can be made this far after the fact.

oh, this was a chargeback.....PayPal does not make the decision on these, the buyers cc does. PayPal takes a loss for handling the chargeback as well. Sorry that this happened to you.

But if you shipped within 7 days and responded to the chgbk within 10 days with valid tracking you should be covered under seller protection if you shipped to a confirmed address.

Like I said, call to get an explanation as to why you weren't covered.

Pay Pal is the one who emailed me, and they won't release the method of payment because they say it's covered within their privacy policy! I did ship within 7 days (5 calendar, 3 business), and responded to the chargeback immediately. I did call today after 2 days of useless emails where they completely avoided my direct questions. Girl on the phone had no answer either. She even confirmed that I followed every step of the Seller Protection Policy, and their own receipt says the buyer was "confirmed", so the billing/shipping must have matched.

She just "re-did" the proof stuff (tracking number, carrier, etc.) and sent it over to another department who's supposed to call or email me tomorrow. We'll see ......

Actually ... I can't do that because UPS has strick time limits and this is WAY past. Customer received the items in March, and chargeback occured in June.

I wonder if the customer waited this long so that it limits your ability to pursue it. I would have thought it would be past the time limit by now for doing a chargeback. I hope you will be able to find a way to get your money back.

Just a thought but it may not be that the customer waited until now to submit the chargeback, it's possible that you just found out about it now because the CC company just now decided in her favor...

hmmm ~ not sure. Since Pay Pal won't divulge any information I don't have much to go on. First email was on 6/22 and said the transaction was being investigated (exact words) and I should withhold shipping until the investigation was complete. Too bad I had already shipped over 3 months prior!

Next 'decision' related email was on 7/10 when I was informed that they (Pay Pal) had decided to reverse the payment. Simple as that, no explanation as to "why" or "what" I did or didn't do. When I questioned their reasoning they referred me to the Seller's Protection Policy. When I questioned which part of the policy I didn't follow they quit responding. That's when I called (which was just today), and the girl on the phone couldn't "explain" either. She said she'd re-submit my proof of delivery info and have someone from the pending reversal department contact me. I won't hold my breath .....

So see, I can't really 'tell' if this was a CC issue passed on to PP or not. Seems like it has to be a "chargeback", but the fact that they (PP) said they were doing the investigation makes in seems like an in-house thing ... too confusing!

Pay Pal is the one who emailed me, and they won't release the method of payment because they say it's covered within their privacy policy! I did ship within 7 days (5 calendar, 3 business), and responded to the chargeback immediately. I did call today after 2 days of useless emails where they completely avoided my direct questions. Girl on the phone had no answer either. She even confirmed that I followed every step of the Seller Protection Policy, and their own receipt says the buyer was "confirmed", so the billing/shipping must have matched.

She just "re-did" the proof stuff (tracking number, carrier, etc.) and sent it over to another department who's supposed to call or email me tomorrow. We'll see ......

Follow up in 72 hours if you have not got an email.

Consumers can use their cc companies to do a chgbk up to 180 days after the initial purchase...PayPal does not make the final decision, the cc do.

Consumers can use their cc companies to do a chgbk up to 180 days after the initial purchase...PayPal does not make the final decision, the cc do.

this is the kind of info I've been searching for, but couldn't find any official source saying just exactly how long a consumer has to make a claim. Funny they have so long when Pay Pal and UPS are much shorter ~ hence giving me no recourse of again.

If what you say it true about the decision being the CC company, then that must be why PP has their Seller's Protection Policy. **BUT** therein lies the next quandry .... if I did everything right and within the policy, why are the funds being taken from my account and not "covered" within their $5,000.00 a year limit??? They haven't answered that one yet either ....

i know chargebacks take a while to process. I had to have a chargeback done because I advertised in a local magazine and only agreed to two months instead of the normal four months, on a trial basis. I had just opened my store and wasn't sure if it was worth the money.. Anyway after the two months the magazine was still charging my credit card. I wasn't happy and I couldn't get a hold of the owner of the magazine after two weeks nothing. So I contacted my bank and they did a chargeback it was going to take 30-60 days to process and I had to have proof of the agreement, write a letter explaining everything. I finally got my money back and the magazine owner contacted me asking what was the problem. He had no recollection until I showed him our agreement.

this is the kind of info I've been searching for, but couldn't find any official source saying just exactly how long a consumer has to make a claim. Funny they have so long when Pay Pal and UPS are much shorter ~ hence giving me no recourse of again.

If what you say it true about the decision being the CC company, then that must be why PP has their Seller's Protection Policy. **BUT** therein lies the next quandry .... if I did everything right and within the policy, why are the funds being taken from my account and not "covered" within their $5,000.00 a year limit??? They haven't answered that one yet either ....

Be patient....let them get back to you then update us....They are pretty good in responding within 24-48 hours but sometimes if they are backed up it can take the 72 hours.

Be patient....let them get back to you then update us....They are pretty good in responding within 24-48 hours but sometimes if they are backed up it can take the 72 hours.

Got an interesting response yesterday ... (I've been asking for something ~ documentation, etc. ~ to explain their "decision") The email said they couldn't release any information regarding the transaction when another member's account was involved. So I read this to mean either the buyer paid from a Pay Pal account, or else she's making claim on another PayPal member other than just me. How do you interpret it???

Got an interesting response yesterday ... (I've been asking for something ~ documentation, etc. ~ to explain their "decision") The email said they couldn't release any information regarding the transaction when another member's account was involved. So I read this to mean either the buyer paid from a Pay Pal account, or else she's making claim on another PayPal member other than just me. How do you interpret it???

Please call and ask why you are not seller protected.....if you are not clear, you can ask to speak to a sup we are here for another hour tonight

Please call and ask why you are not seller protected.....if you are not clear, you can ask to speak to a sup we are here for another hour tonight

After asking 5 or 6 times (literally, I'm not exaggerating), I finally got an answer that the reason the payment was reversed was because I violated the SPP by not responding with their requested info (that list from the other thread) within 10 days. Withholding information violates whatever protection I would have had ~ as so it should. Problem was ~ I *did* respond, and rather timely I thought. A whopping 5 hours and 12 minutes after they emailed their request. Well within 10 days, and had the "sent" email to prove it.

Again, multiple emails later, and once again having to go through the web form to prompt a reply, I finally got an email saying the transaction was "re" reviewed and it was decided the reversal was placed on my account in error .... oops. Funds were going to be reinstated to my account.

So after many, many hours of stressful "fighting" and standing up for myself I know now even more so than I ever already did that keeping good records and doing everything "by the book" is essential. Thankfully that was a skill I already possessed. I honestly didn't do anything wrong in this case, and it took me MANY hours to prove that, but I did :D

Still wondering what even started the whole thing though, and final emails from PayPal said they couldn't divulge information without a court order. Obviously I'm not going to get a lawyer, but after feeling raked over the coals for the last 3 weeks it sure would be nice to know "why" and what's become of it now (the 'buyer' and the products) .....

WOW! What a mess........and scary for anyone who uses paypal. I am glad you finally got it straightened out. It makes you wonder how often this happens? And how often Paypal does this to people.........and you end up having to jump through hoops to straighten it out.