Cleaning New Aluminum Molds

I'd be grateful if anyone has an easy technique for thoroughly cleaning brand new aluminum molds. I've generally done it with mineral spirits and paper towels but that's much too tedious. Black gunk and aluminum dust seems to come out of them forever. I need to take a new mold and have it work perfectly the first time, without spending a long time preparing it, or finding shiny little metallic specks embedded in the candle.

Funny you should post this now. I just had to use goo gone on one of mine. DW put her gum in my towel I was using to wipe off excess silicone. (Heatgun on mold + gum on towel = bad).

Are the seamed mold any better? I've only got one because I always use seamless.

Feel your pain.

I wish they came with only chewing gum residue in them. That might be easier to deal with. :)

As far as preparing for first use, yes the tin plated molds seem to be easier. They aren't my thing though. One day when I'm ready to slit my wrists I'll go cleaning a bunch of those and make it look like an accident.

I always pour a scrap wax pillar and then use my heat gun to heat and paper towels to wipe it out...I loosely ball the paper towel and stick a chopstick in it to move it around to clean the mold so I dont have to stick my hand in there...I'm not into slitting my wrists...;)

and use a pot holder to hold the mold...cant have burns either now...:D

How about hot soapy water? Why wouldn't that work the first time?

That's what I do. Dump them into a sink of hot soapy water, scrub them a bit, rinse really well and dry really well. No problems with rust either.

I've tried the soap & hot water, mineral spirits & scrap wax & still have the occasional black mark appear on a candle, even after the moulds have been used several times.

So if anyone has a foolproof method I too would love to know.

Sally.