Thin Shower Gel

I have used it before and I get it from MMS. So far I only have one FO that requires this. HTH

Does it work good for you & at what % do you add Crothix?

Does it change the feel of shower gel (when using the gel or after it is rinsed off) or just make it only thicker?

Does it work good for you & at what % do you add Crothix?

It works good for me and I start off with 1% and keep adding to where I want it. I just follow MMS direction for use.

Does it change the feel of shower gel (when using the gel or after it is rinsed off) or just make it only thicker?

I use the aloe body wash from BCN and it doesn't change the feel of it at all just makes it thicker. The FO I am talking about and I am using it now is Irish Spring (SC). HTH

I am so glad that someone posted this question. I too had bought BCN Aloe Body wash gel and made my wedding renewal shower gels with it! It was too thin in my opinion and I wondered what I could use to thicken it! I used the maximum FO allowed and all of the FO's that I used thinned it too much! I will try getting some of the Crothix and see if that helps!

Personally, I like the BCN body gel but find that it leaves you squeeky clean rather than softened! I will keep using this product for a "Clean Feeling" line that I will have but still want to find a base that is more moisterizing! Any ideas of who has a better base?? Im interested in all opinions! Thanks so much!!

God Bless,

Lynn

I am so glad that someone posted this question. I too had bought BCN Aloe Body wash gel and made my wedding renewal shower gels with it! It was too thin in my opinion and I wondered what I could use to thicken it! I used the maximum FO allowed and all of the FO's that I used thinned it too much! I will try getting some of the Crothix and see if that helps!

Personally, I like the BCN body gel but find that it leaves you squeeky clean rather than softened! I will keep using this product for a "Clean Feeling" line that I will have but still want to find a base that is more moisterizing! Any ideas of who has a better base?? Im interested in all opinions! Thanks so much!!

God Bless,

Lynn

Get it from MMS http://www.thesage.com/catalog/LotionSupplies.html scroll down to find it.

Here is what MMS say's about it...

Crothix Liquid Thickener

INCI: PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate (and) PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides (and) Water

Have you ever accidentally thinned a shower gel, lotion or cream to the point it just isn't what you wanted? Don't cry! This new thickener will rescue your overly thinned product. Add a SMALL amount of this liquid and stir it in cold. Don't worry about heating, while it can help keep a mixture crystal clear, heating isn't necessary. We most often hear of people who have added a fragrance to their shampoo base, shower gel or other product only to find the fragrance does an excellent job of thinning the final product so we are offering this new thickener to help boost the viscosity of your finished goods. Your skin will often have a "conditioned" feel when Crothix is used in rinse off products. Usage rate is generally 1 to 8% and the final mixture does not need added neutralization just because this thickener is used. Start at 1% and go up from there. We were amazed that so little is needed to actually thicken significantly.

• 3 months later...

I finally got some crothix this past week from Jody's Soap and Creations. I am using WSP shower gel base. I have looked on the different supplier sites that carry this for any instructions. Most say that it has to be heated to over 122 degrees and then mixed with the gel and fo mixture.

Have any of you used this and not heated it? If so, what were your results? I would prefer not to have to heat since I only want to do a small test batch. I've tried 7 fo's and all thinned the gel too much.

I had some (from MMS) and could never get it mixed in, it's super duper thick, and even though it states that you don't have to heat it, I think that it would mix in better. This stuff is sticky like glue almost!! JMO

On that note, don't forget that some (most) liquid colorants have sodium in them, which can cause your shower gels to thin, so it could be your colorant and not the FO.

I've found that now that I'm using powdered colorants for my gels, that I'm not having such a problem with it thinning out, unless I put more than the recommended amount of FO in it. ;)

Thanks for responging, Michi. I haven't used any colorants.

Only one supplier site (MMS) said not to worry about heating. The rest instructed to heat. I've seen nothing about heating method and wondering if the microwave is safe? For such a small amount, I thinking heating might be awkward. Also, can you reheat and reuse the unused amount?

You're welcome, although I'm really not of much help with this, as I had read only (from MMS) that it didn't need to be heated, which I think is why I had such problems with it, and sold it in the classys. ;)

I don't see why you couldn't heat it up slightly in the micro. but I don't know about heating and reheating it. ?? Sorry.

I'm on a hunt for a better thickener, I just don't like that stuff, the way it feels just grosses me out for some reason. LOL

Edited to add: I think you can get this in a powder form, although I've never looked for it, but that may be a better bet, easier to use, etc. ;)

Since it is a thickener meant to thicken, it makes sense to heat it. Just for drill, I just got out a 2 oz jj and put a small amount in. Didn't seem all that thick pouring oob. I heated it with my heat gun lol. Then I mixed a small amount in with my scented gel. Couldn't really tell a difference, so I added a tad more. Not scientific testing--just trying to get a feel of this.

Went back to rinse out the jar before loading the dishwasher, and good grief, what a gummy mess in the jar. Geez, I scrubbed and scrubbed with a brush before putting it in the dw. It was a creepy, gummy feeling.

Don't see a lot of change in the gel mixture yet. Will try again tomorrow.

I used crothix w/wsp shower gel base. How I did it is I heated the sg base and added fo. Then I let cool for several hrs. After cooling, I heated some crothix and added to cooled sg. You will get immediate results as far as figuring out how thick final product will be. It worked really well for me.

I tried the BCN Aloe Body wash and it got very thin when you added the fo. I tried a few things mentioned and nothing worked to thicken it up. If you want a super thick gel try "Blend HEB Plus" shampoo and shower gel concentrate from "The Chemistry Store" that stuff is incredibly thick!!

I just got some Shampoo base from SFIC and it thinned out terribly when I added FO. So I tried the Crothix (I believe I got it from WSP some time ago). Nothing scientific...just squirted some in the bottle (cold), shook it and let it sit. The next morning, it was great!

I've always thought I had to heat it first...and I guess I thought that would be a PIA so I've never tried it that way. There wasn't a lot of head room left in the bottle, so I know I didn't add a whole lot, maybe a "squeeze" or two.

I tried the BCN Aloe Body wash and it got very thin when you added the fo. I tried a few things mentioned and nothing worked to thicken it up. If you want a super thick gel try "Blend HEB Plus" shampoo and shower gel concentrate from "The Chemistry Store" that stuff is incredibly thick!!

Thanks, I will sample it and see if it's any good.

Have you washed with it? How is it, does it lather real good, does it dry out your skin?

Since it is a thickener meant to thicken, it makes sense to heat it. Just for drill, I just got out a 2 oz jj and put a small amount in. Didn't seem all that thick pouring oob. I heated it with my heat gun lol. Then I mixed a small amount in with my scented gel. Couldn't really tell a difference, so I added a tad more. Not scientific testing--just trying to get a feel of this.

Went back to rinse out the jar before loading the dishwasher, and good grief, what a gummy mess in the jar. Geez, I scrubbed and scrubbed with a brush before putting it in the dw. It was a creepy, gummy feeling.

Don't see a lot of change in the gel mixture yet. Will try again tomorrow.

That's what I meant when I replied before, it was sooo gooey and gummy just plain old nasty, I can't even imagine wanting THAT on my body ya know? Hence the reason I sold it off in the classys!! LOL

BTW it took my about 10 minutes to clean the bottle off just so I could pkg. it up, that's how gummy/nasty this stuff is. EEK

Someone stated that putting salt in would thicken it, but I do not see how that could possibly help, when I know that some liquid colorants have sodium (aka SALT) in them, and they will thin your product out. ??????

Off to check my Happi mags and see what I can find as far as thickeners. ;)

I gave this another try. This time, instead of the heat gun I heated in the microwave. Then I mixed it in with my already scented gel. At first it seemed to mix together really well.

The next morning I could see a clear separation between the gel and the crothix. Actually, the fo didn't appear to have mixed, either. I poured it out and heated the mixture slightly. Still no incorporation.

I have tried two different gels--WSP and one I got from the classies here. I don't have the name right here, but I've seen it sold on ebay and have bought containers from that ebay seller.

The crothix has been a loser for me. I've read several posts recommending the Essentials by Catalina. Is it really nice and thick? I hesitate because of shipping from one coast to another.

Thanks, I will sample it and see if it's any good.

Have you washed with it? How is it, does it lather real good, does it dry out your skin?

It's what I use at home. It isn't drying at all and has a great lather. Works great as a shampoo or body wash. I do add distilled water to thin it out a bit for pouring ease. It's really thick!

I've used it quite a bit (purchased from WSP) and have been very happy with the results. I heat it in the microwave for about 10-20 seconds depending on the amount I'm using. You have to heat it thoroughly to get it nice and thin so it will blend completely with your formula. You also need to mix it quickly, or it will re-thicken before becoming completely integrated and you'll have a lumpy product :shocked2:

You really have to experiment to figure out how much you need to get the perfect consistency, but I use about 1ml or so for an 8oz bottle.

HTH!

I gave this another try. This time, instead of the heat gun I heated in the microwave. Then I mixed it in with my already scented gel. At first it seemed to mix together really well.

The next morning I could see a clear separation between the gel and the crothix. Actually, the fo didn't appear to have mixed, either. I poured it out and heated the mixture slightly. Still no incorporation.

I have tried two different gels--WSP and one I got from the classies here. I don't have the name right here, but I've seen it sold on ebay and have bought containers from that ebay seller.

The crothix has been a loser for me. I've read several posts recommending the Essentials by Catalina. Is it really nice and thick? I hesitate because of shipping from one coast to another.

I love almost everything I've ever bought from Essentials by Catalina.. but their shower gel was a BIG thumbs down for me! It got VERY thin when I added FO.. and I did use the recommended amount. :(

I use Jody's crothix and have had excellent results. I always heat it because it just does not incorporate well throughout the base otherwise. I microwave mine for a few seconds to get it to a liquid consistency. Then I add it it to the cold gel and mix it up before I add in color and scent. You have to be careful not to use too much or you will get a slick feeling in the base.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the shower gel base from The Chemistry Store and the way that I thicken the gel is to use a 1 part salt to 2 parts hot water mixture. After it is well mixed, I bottle it in gallon jars and let it sit overnight. It will appear cloudy right away, but the next day it is clear. If you add too much of this salt water mixture, it will remain cloudy. It is recommended at 5-6% of the total gel mixture.

I love the shower gel base from the Chemistry Store.

HTH