Pringle can for CP Soap Mold

elle110

Ok, I have a special project, and I need to make round soap logs, but the PVC I have is to big, they need to be smaller in diameter. I am thinking about Pringle's cans.

A) Has any one used them?

B) If so, how many pounds does one can make?

C) Do you have to line the cans?

TIA for any help offered

Elle

Hey I think I can answer these. I've been looking at my lye (I bought it from you) and I think it's going to make soap this weekend :)

Anyway, I've been reading and reading. Yes you can use the pringles can and no need to wrap it in anything. Now there was a post about one bad experience with the can not holding up but there were tons of people posting that they had used them and never had problems. It will hold a little less than 2 pounds.

Good luck!

Barb

I tried it. Did not line the can but used a can opener when done to get the bottom off the thing when the soap was all do so I could just push the soap through. I made a 2# batch and had a little left over which I put into tupperware containers that I had sprayed with Pam.

I did not wrap the can, but set it upright in a big pitcher just in case it leaked or someting. It was jsut fine though.

Hi! I've used Pringles cans successfully many, many times. I spray with Pam and wipe that around with a paper towel. I've never had a mishap, but I peel the can off when the soap is ready rather than trying to save the can.

I did, however, read a post over at The Soap Dish (with pictures) of a serious problem with the Pringles can, so apparently it can go wrong... The lining can separate away from the can itself if I remember correctly. :(

Lori

thanks for all the great info...I knew it could be done, just wasn't sure of all the rest...you guys rock, now, I will have to post pics once I do my project...if anyone is from Southern Ohio or N. KY, a clue is it is for geottafest and it is going to have steel cut oats in the soap.

Home Depot sells 2.5" PVC, 10 feet of it for $9.99. You could have 10 molds if they cut it into 10 one foot pieces for you.

Hmmm, guess I'll have to ask next time I stop by Home Depot - couldn't find it just looking on my own. Found 1.5", 2", 3", 3.5"... no 2.5"! I certainly don't need 10 molds, but would be happy to share the wealth if/when I find the right size PVC.

Can't wait to see your creations elle!