Soy Shea Butter Candles

Hello everyone I hope everyone is having a good 4th. I was wondering has anyone ever heard of this type of candle? I went to a festival last weekend and someone was selling candles made out of Soy, Shea, Vit E Jojoba and EO . Instructions were to let melt and use like lotion. They were called aromatheraphy candles. I work at a hospital and on our bulletin board email at work there is a massage therapist that is offering massages using the same type of candle made of soy,shea,vit E, Jojoba plus EO.

clc404

Has anyone tried making these. Sounds like a lotion bar I've made before. They say their soy is cosmetic grade. Where on the net does it say what the emollient factors of soy is? Also when a FO is skin safe, at what rate does that mean? I have wondered about this for a long time. Never says on suppliers web sites.

looks like these guys are only use EO.

I know we have had discussions on these types of candles before, but I just don't get why anyone would want to mix lotions with candles. If you just have to warm your lotion just buy a cheap wax warmer from a beauty supply. It seems like a really silly combination. And it is more of a sales ploy than any real benefit.

I went to a huge flea market to check out candle sellers and saw the same demonstration. I'm of the same opinion as Jeana in that the concept seems silly to me. I went to another building and found someone selling paraffin candles. When I mentioned soy, she informed me that the soy candles/lotions cause cancer. I haven't looked that up, but I am wondering if any of you have any knowledge of this.

I went to a huge flea market to check out candle sellers and saw the same demonstration. I'm of the same opinion as Jeana in that the concept seems silly to me. I went to another building and found someone selling paraffin candles. When I mentioned soy, she informed me that the soy candles/lotions cause cancer. I haven't looked that up, but I am wondering if any of you have any knowledge of this.

pft now that sounds like BS (not from you Luci but from the candle maker)

I'm sure that's her ploy to put down soy to try and sell her paraffin.

Some people will say or do anything to sell their products, even put down others to try and make them look better.

I pretty much thought that had to be some bs. She went on and on about skin cancer, etc. Said she used to make soy candles but quit because of the cancer factor! At any rate, when I want lotion, I use lotion. Not gonna melt a candle for it! Unless maybe I ever run out during one of our infamous hurricanes and am sitting around reading by candlelight!

I would like to see what people are basing the cancer opinion on. I saw someone on here recently make this statement too, but without backing it up with any research or info about it.

I have recently heard a lot about regular lotion in general could be related to cancer. That is the parabens used to preserve lotions are turning up in the tumors of breast cancer patients. This doesn't even mean it causes it, but that it could be related in some way. So maybe she is talking about this as for lotions causing cancer.

http://www.extra.rdg.ac.uk/news/details.asp?ID=304

I highly doubt soy on your skin would cause cancer on its own, or soy in our foods would be doing the same.

But I could see just about anything we inhale causing problems.