CP v HP - let me see if I've got this right

CareBear

HP - slave away over hot stove/crockpot for an hour or two.

CP - heat things up a bit, stir/blend for a few minutes, pour, walk away

HP - soap is basically useable as soon as you are done cooking it and it cools a bit. soft, & slimey, but useable. (Of course it will be better when it has a chance to dry out and age a bit....)

CP - soap is not soap till it sits for like, forever (how long does it have to sit? say for a castille like Eugenia's recipe?). in the meantime the lye is still active (and zingy)

(yes, I know both need to age for a few weeks once cut so that they dry out, cure, age, whatever)

HP - can do some pretty marbeling

CP - can do some amazing swirling

and I understand there are some textural differences

So, am I right? What other differences are there?

CP soap - gets better with a good cure

HP soap - also gets better with a good cure

The lye if measured properly will be gone in about 2-3 days tops in CP and is safe to use then, will just get milder with age.

In HP it'll be gone at the end of the cook and before you mold it.

The main reason both of them need a good cure is for mildness, and to let the extra water evaporate creating a harder, longer lasting bar.

Just tried HP a few days ago, and it didn't turn out pretty for me. Despite banging my molds repeatedly on the floor, they still ended up having numerous air holes. Plus, the undersides of the individual molds is UGLY! I do have to hand it to the HP'ers that do a wonderful job.

Well, now I've made Eugenia's 90% olive/10% castor both ways (no fo, no color). I've cut the HP bars and they look a bit odd, but not bad - I think it was my technique since I whipped a lot of air into the batch by accident. The are slightly mottled whiteish, but the mottling is fading as they dry. Cramming the goo into the molds was interesting - I got some air pockets on the sides which I will trim off.

The CP won't be ready to look at for days, but I bet it will be much prettier.

HP - slave away over hot stove/crockpot for an hour or two. No slaving here. Just pop it in the oven till it's done. :)

HP - soap is basically useable when you are done. soft, & slimey, but useable. Mine's never slimey.

CP - soap is not soap till it sits for like, forever (how long does it have to sit? say for a castille like Eugenia's recipe?). in the meantime the lye is still active (and zingy)

(yes, I know both need to age for a few weeks once cut so that they dry out, cure, age, whatever)

So, am I right? What other differences are there?

If you're having trouble with fluidity and air pockets, add 1 TBL ppo of sugar to the water BEFORE you add the lye. Stir to dissolve sugar completely. Remove HP when it's all transluscent, quickly whisk/stir in color and fragrance, and pour into molds. Bang away. Mine don't typically have air pockets and are nearly as smooth in texture as my CP. :D

HP - soap is basically useable when you are done. soft, & slimey, but useable.

I don't slave away over a crockpot for an hour or two, less than an hour for me and it's done. :D

I don't have slimey soap at all, but I have had some slimey cp soap in swaps before. It must depend on the ingredients.

Let me go back and edit - for HP I mean it is slimey as soon as it is "done" being cooked - before being aged. Not that the finished product ends up slimy.

Hmmm, I don't know that it is slimy even after the cook, it's more sticky but after a couple days it is not anymore.

Depends on the HP method. I'm strictly an HP gal and never had to slave over the stove for an hour (thank God!) Oven HP can mean leaving it in there doing it's thing without much fuss, as can double boiler. I generally use the microwave and it can take 30 min or less, and only stirring between certain minutes. Isn't much work to me.

HP - soap is basically useable as soon as you are done cooking it and it cools a bit. soft, & slimey, but useable. (Of course it will be better when it has a chance to dry out and age a bit....)

I have never had much problems with slimy HP, but I suppose it depends on the recipe. I've had recipes that are hard fast, so the softest doesn't necessqrily apply, but generally it's better to let harden for a day or so, ESPECIALLY if milk soaps - then can take days!

You can do marbling with CP and HP can have swirls, but this takes practice (ugh) But generally you're right there as well.

Texturally there are differences, as CP tends to be smoother. With practice in HP you can get about as smooth or just as with CP, but it takes awhile to get the hang of it generally. It's all based on recipe, method, pouring temp, and even molds at times.

The only thing I can think of besides the obvious colorant and fragrances if I"ve heard HP tends to later lather better. This may vary by experience however. Both are great methods and very individual!