First goat milk soap - Spearmint Patch (cut pic added to first post)

Brenda

I finally did it! Made a batch of goat milk soap. It's scented with 4 parts Spearmint EO to 1 part Patchouli EO and swirled with soft aqua mica. I was pretty apprehensive about the goat milk because when I first started soaping I added the goat milk and lye together and couldn't believe the smell and color. I actually tossed it out! :o I now know I could have used it.

first_goat_milk.jpg

Adding the milk just after I added the lye to the oils worked great! I can't remember who posted that tip, but THANK YOU! The difference was amazing.

Here it is, cooling on the washing machine. Now I have to wait, and wait, and wait to cut it since I don't want it to gel. I keep going out there to feel the temp of the soap. :rolleyes2

Making soap again just leads to making more soap! :laugh2:

Couldn't wait anymore and cut the bars! Here's how it turned out:

spearmint_patch.jpg

Overall I'm happy with it. I cut a chunk off a bar and gave it the old lather test. Creamy and bubbly (used a little sugar in the lye water for the first time too) lather. This won't be my last batch of goat milk soap! Now to wait until it cures and try it for real! :waiting: That's the only trouble.

Thanks for checking it out!

Another beautiful soap :thumbsup: Brenda I've noticed you soap quite a bit with EOs. How well do they hold up?? Do certain ones hold their scent in soap better than others?? (I've read that EOs fade in soap over time).

Maryann - it depends on the EO in my experience. Citrus EOs generally are fast faders so are best in a blend with an anchor EO, but others like patchouli stick around. I store my essential oil soaps in a cardboard storage box and stick a couple of cotton makeup pads in with them that have been saturated in the EO. That tends to help. I also heard of (on this board, I think) soaking cheesecloth and laying it in the box as well.

I like working with EOs when I can because they are more friendly to work with in the CP process. But I must admit to a fondness for the wide variety of FOs out there. :drool:

The soap looks great! I bet it will turn out just fine. Why is it that people don't want their soap to gel? I've heard of this so many times. I could care less if it does or not only because I like my soap results everytime.

I find that EO's fade quickly as well. Unlike FO's. Patchouli and Anise stay a long time. Sweet Orange and Sandalwood faded quick for me.

Brenda, did you change your logo?

I noticed it on your website earlier today as well.

Brenda, did you change your logo?

I noticed it on your website earlier today as well.

Yep! I did. It seemed time for a change - once I lived with the font I had chosen for a while, I didn't like it. :o I wanted something simpler.

Absolutely beautiful Brenda!!!!! I have both of those EO's. I think I'm going to make a sniffie to see how they mix. So, on the goats milk, did you mix your lye and oils and stick blend before adding the goats milk? I kinda had the same experience you had on my first batch of goats milk too. Then I started freezing it. I'd like to be able to use it in liquid form to make things easier. Also, keep us posted if it discolors to tan. Again, great soap Brenda!!!!! :highfive:

Beautiful soap Brenda. Your colors are always so pretty and swirly. :D What do you primarily use for coloring, if I can ask?

This soap is colored with TD in the base and soft aqua mica in the swirl. I almost always put TD in the mix unless I'm going for a translucent look. Oxides and ultramarines were what I started with and I've used them a lot! Now that I've got some micas and a couple of clays, I'm starting to experiment with those. I also like the yellow you can get from using a bit of palm fruit oil in your recipe. The only drawback to all the dry colorants is getting them to mix thoroughly in the little bit of oil I pull out of the pot before I add their portion of soap. Yay for stick blenders!

Sherie - I mixed the lye solution into the oils, stirred it round a couple of times then quickly poured in the milk, stirring constantly. Then stick blended until it all smoothed out. It really worked well - give it a try and you will be so happy with the difference. I was - no awful orange stink. :cheesy2:

Thanks for your comments everyone!