UPDATE!! FURIOUS, frustrated, disappointed...

Sallykate

I truly believe that things happen for a reason. It seems that what you have learned from this experience will benefit you in the future. I'm glad you are still doing this fundraiser, though! After all, it was a verbal commitment which I feel the school should have honored. I wish you nothing but the best! Wishing you a very successful fundraiser!!!

Amen to that! and TY!:cheesy2:

Thanx for the "blunt truth"! I love blunt!
I had no choice. I heard some dangerous thoughts in your mind and others that maybe the customer wasn't worthy and one would not want to deal with them anyway, etc. You just needed to to hear the real deal presented straight -- and quickly.

I am talking to all of you now...

During one significant portion of my professional life, I did sales for 3 years. Then I started my own company from nothing and trained a sales team and grew that business to 15 employees. The fees that we were paid for each deal were seldom less than 5 figures, so these were not insignificant transactions.

I can tell you that 75% of clients/customers are prone to act a little psycho when it comes to a transaction that feels big to them. They get flakey and unpredictable. It happens all the time. Your job is not to judge them or decide if they are worthy to pay you money. What you need to do for yourself is learn to expect all the things that are likely to happen and how to handle them. You don't just walk away unless it's stone cold dead.

Answering objections and closing sales is something that people literally learn about and study. If you get good at handling these things it can add up to a significant effect on your prosperity over time.

My words of advice for the day. :)

Yikes, this is why I DON"T do fund raisers. I know a candle maker who does them and also has gone through the whole HI crap of a school committing to her candles only to tell her that they changed their minds mid stream.

I really don't like HI for what they are trying to do local candle makers who do fund raisers. And I watched many local candle makers get screwed by schools as well.

Guest EMercier

If it were me, I would've had the contract there at that second and filled in anything that needed to be (amounts and such) and have a generic form that could be modified or if you could've done most of that before. I would've let her know about all that and gave her a copy and told her she had to honor that or else! Just don't deal with them again. I know you may be trying to help, but it's not worth the hassle.

Glad it has been resolved and you are getting your contract signed. Like Mr Top said, this is business and customers are funny. In my prior life (i.e B/4 retirement) I was on both sides - buying and selling. Neither is a piece of cake. Often times there are folks in the background influencing the final buy decision that the seller never knows about. You sure don't throw in the towel until you have exhausted all options. Glad you didn't. Hope your FR is a hugh success.

Just curious as to what you are selling your jars for. Sorry if I missed that somewhere! I have a few funraisers set up this fall, and the groups that I am working with prefer to go with me instead of HI. They don't offer crap for profit in my area. I sell my candles with a 50% profit also. I have about 1.30 in each 9 oz hex that I sell. I turn around and wholesale to the schools for 4.00, and they resell for 8.00. I still make about double just like I would if I wholesaled. I was just wondering what you were selling for, and your cost. Maybe you could get your jars and stuff cheaper if you went thru a supply house versus Wally world?

Glad that things seem to be working out for you, and the school decided to stay with you.