UPDATE!! FURIOUS, frustrated, disappointed...

Sallykate

Some of you know that I was doing a large fundraiser in Sept. I met with the school last week and we shook hands on the deal and they asked me to come in and set up a display in the front office etc. We concluded the meeting very upbeat and they were excited. I was asked to bring in a contract for them to sign this week.

I had to purchase items for my display and order the 2000 jars necessary for the FR because it takes 2-3 weeks to get them in at WM....

I got a call this morning from the school, telling me they have decided to go with Home Interior candles instead!!! HI is offering them 50% profit. Come to find out HI is charging $12 per 12oz candle and $8 for a 4oz tin! No wonder they can offer 50%.

I am not mad at HI...it's not their fault. It was poor business ethic on the part of the school director plain and simple.

Later, this morning, I talked to the director and she was fumbling all over the place with what happened. She said she did not want me to be upset and taht she still wanted to do business with me in the future. Yada Yada Yada :rolleyes2 Bottom line is, someone brought the HI offer in after our meeting and she caved in. I told her that I was not "offended" however that I thought we had made a verbal agreement and thus I had been planning and preparing since that date. I also told her that I had begun to order supplies.

Long story short, she said that if I felt that we had a concrete deal then she would honor it and go with me. I told her I did not want to go forward with the deal if her heart wasn't in it. I did not want to coherse her into it knowing that she would rather have not done it. I forgot to mention that I know this lady somewhat and that my mother has been a teacher there for 17 years so it makes it difficult to wear the business hat only and say a deal is a deal! She asked me to go ahead and send over a business plan because she has to get all FR's approved. I hesitantly sent it. I really do not want to work with this school anymore. This is the second time she has done this to me. Last time she went with a cookie dough FR instead. She said she wants me to do a FR in January. I told her I thought that she would be shooting herself in the foot to do 2 candle FR's back to back! :rolleyes2

Thanx for listening, I just had to vent! Any suggestions? Should I take the contract if she calls me back and wants to do it?

ok, I just got off of the phone with the director and they want to go with me! I am surprised to say the least. I will go forward with it but I HAVE learned a BIG lesson. Thanx for all your advice and encouragement guys... I sure needed it.

HUGS to all of you...

ohhhhhhhh DARNIT girl~ that IS frustrating. You are handling it much better than I would be. I think I would very seriously think twice before dealing with that school again. The first time you get "screwed" shame on them, the second time, it's shame on YOU...and there is no way in heck I'd give them a third chance! LOL, but that's just me, and since you are friends with the woman making those decisions, maybe it's not that easy. But grrrrrrrrr..are you commited to taking all those jars now?

~Sharon

That sucks. You know, though, I would DEFINITELY have a contract, and I wouldn't order ANYTHING until I got orders in. I wouldn't order any of the extra supplies until I had the order sheets in my fat little hand. Seems the safest way to do it, unless you have a lot of cash and know you'll use the stuff anyhow.

I understand your feelings of not wanting to do business with the school anymore. However, you HAVE ordered supplies and you DID have a verbal agreement that you would do the FR. I'd tell her you feel the FR should go to you and she could do the HI FR in January. I'd let her know what all goes into hosting a FR regarding supplies and ordering. Explain that glassware can take several weeks to arrive and then if there's breakage you have to wait for replacements, not to mention making the product. You need to recoop your expenses that you incurred on her "good faith" verbal agreement. JMO

But grrrrrrrrr..are you commited to taking all those jars now?

~Sharon

Well here's the deal, when she was waffling, she said, "well we can cut you a check for all those jars since we want to work with you in Jan. anyway. We would be cutting you a check up front anyways". What she doesn't get is I DON'T want to work with her in JANUARY!!! This time or no time! I will not make NEAR as much in a Jan. FR right after another candle FR and right after xmas...come on. :rolleyes2

Thanx for your sympathy Sharon, it helps believe it or not.:wink2:

If it were me I would tell her that I am not available in January that I am booked already that month. In fact....oif she ever asked me to do a FR again I would always be booked up with something. Even if I wasn't!!!

I had a HI rep tell me about the FR 50% thing about 2 weeks ago. They are going to kill candlemakers getting FR's at the schools. I have a FR with my daughters Girl Scout troop next month. I also agree about an agreement. They are going to have a meeting and then let me know the exact date. I haven't ordered anything yet. I told her once they set a date that I would meet with them and we would go over the "paperwork".

Do any of your children attend this school? If not, as stated above I just would cut her off and maybe that will teach her a lesson.

Hope something else great comes along for you.

I am so sorry that this happened to you. I had a customer do the same thing last year. I got lucky and got a fundraiser right after they cancelled. I don't know if you can cancel any of the supplies that you had ordered. If not maybe you could see if anyone off the board would take any of the items off your hands.

I know that this sucks but next time don't order anything until you have a signed contract. I always make sure of that now. Plus on large customer orders I get a deposit.

I am so sorry that this happened to you. I had a customer do the same thing last year. I got lucky and got a fundraiser right after they cancelled. I don't know if you can cancel any of the supplies that you had ordered. If not maybe you could see if anyone off the board would take any of the items off your hands.

I know that this sucks but next time don't order anything until you have a signed contract. I always make sure of that now. Plus on large customer orders I get a deposit.

Thanx Lorrie,

Live and learn right? Boy have I learned! Even when you know the person somewhat and would think they would keep their word...GET A SIGNED CONTRACT! :(

Thanx Lorrie,

Live and learn right? Boy have I learned! Even when you know the person somewhat and would think they would keep their word...GET A SIGNED CONTRACT! :(

I learned the hard way too. The customer that backed out on me last year was a friend of my moms. Let's just say when she orders now she has to pay for the order in full before I will even start on it..

And I hope that things change and they decide that you are the better deal. I know that you said that HI gives 50% but do they charge shipping? If they do you could offer delivery to them. (Meaning the person in charge). Good luck Sallykate!

I learned the hard way too. The customer that backed out on me last year was a friend of my moms. Let's just say when she orders now she has to pay for the order in full before I will even start on it..

And I hope that things change and they decide that you are the better deal. I know that you said that HI gives 50% but do they charge shipping? If they do you could offer delivery to them. (Meaning the person in charge). Good luck Sallykate!

Thanx Lorrie, sounds like we have VERY similar situations!

It is in my proposal that I will deliver the order AND have it sorted by classroom and teacher already for them. We were talking like 1500 candles too.

I like your pay up front idea.

That's horrible, If there was a way to cancel your order of jars then I wouldn't do it. Taking into consideration that will be right after Christmas and I don't know that it would be worth it. If you can't cancel you order then I would tell the lady she needs to go back to the HI rep and explain the situation and set them up for the FR in January. Too me that would only be fair. (sorry if someone else said this I didn't read all the post).

Are you out of your mind? ;)

If you can still get that deal you you march right over to the phone NOW and CLOSE it baby.

Welcome to the wonderful world of sales. Deals teeter on the edge all the time. Closing a deal is a matter of handling situations like this ALL THE TIME. For big ticket deals it is the RULE not the exception. Instead of being resentful, think of it as part of your job when you have your sales hat on. That understanding and skill marks you as a pro.

Are you on the phone yet? Of COURSE you thought of the deal as firm and OF COURSE you've started ordering supplies and no you are not going to blow away like a tumbleweed. But don't be angry, be firm and professional. Someone else made her cave so you make her cave right back. You're in the stronger position and as a very last resort you can drop the hint that you are going to seek a way to recover your time and expenses if necessary (but only drop that if nothing else is working).

Close it.

So sorry you are going through all this. I kinda sorta did a FR for my grandson's daycare last year and never ever again! Made like 170.00!!! Thats it. They were doing the cookie dough and pizza's and thought candles would be nice. So did I. I ordered all this stuff and i still have some of it.

Never again for me when they are back to back. Hope you do well and good luck!:)

I would definately take the contract, so you could show her that yours be better. I would tell them that even though HI offers a 50% profit, they are

1. more expensive

2. Not handpoured

3. An inferior product that does not burn properly and is know for recalls, (they recalled on fundraiser candles about 1 month ago)

Tell them even though you are charging XX% that your candles

1. ARE hand-pored so people apprecciate it more,

2. Not as expensive so people will buy more,

3. highest quality that burns (state your candles characteristics here)

4. By purchasing from you they save on shipping

5. By purchasing from you their money stays withing the community, and since you pay taxes, well those taxes go to community funding like schools.

That is what I would do. A deal is a deal, and you already purchased your supplies.

ok, I just got off of the phone with the director and they want to go with me! I am surprised to say the least. I will go forward with it but I HAVE learned a BIG lesson. Thanx for all your advice and encouragement guys... I sure needed it.

HUGS to all of you...

Get that signed contract ASAP and do not order ANYTHING until you have it in your hands.

e

Get that signed contract ASAP and do not order ANYTHING until you have it in your hands.

e

Ditto what Eugenia said. Also only use the supplies that you have on hand to get a head of the orders. Once you get payment then order supplies and work on the rest. Good luck!

I truly believe that things happen for a reason. It seems that what you have learned from this experience will benefit you in the future. I'm glad you are still doing this fundraiser, though! After all, it was a verbal commitment which I feel the school should have honored. I wish you nothing but the best! Wishing you a very successful fundraiser!!!

Are you out of your mind? ;)

If you can still get that deal you you march right over to the phone NOW and CLOSE it baby.

Welcome to the wonderful world of sales. Deals teeter on the edge all the time. Closing a deal is a matter of handling situations like this ALL THE TIME. For big ticket deals it is the RULE not the exception. Instead of being resentful, think of it as part of your job when you have your sales hat on. That understanding and skill marks you as a pro.

Are you on the phone yet? Of COURSE you thought of the deal as firm and OF COURSE you've started ordering supplies and no you are not going to blow away like a tumbleweed. But don't be angry, be firm and professional. Someone else made her cave so you make her cave right back. You're in the stronger position and as a very last resort you can drop the hint that you are going to seek a way to recover your time and expenses if necessary (but only drop that if nothing else is working).

Close it.

You are absolutely right! How do I know? because you sound just like me giving someone else advice e. Thanx for the "blunt truth"! I love blunt! hehehe I guess I was pussy footing because of her being my mom's boss. HOWEVER, my mom gave her a piece of her mind for bad business ethic!:rolleyes2She told her and her asisstant the I would probably never work with them again after the way they had done me:wink2: Gotta love mom! I think her words knawed on the director's conscience. So here I am with my contract ready to be signed tomorrow!

gosh e....you really shouldn't be so shy!! :P

Seems you have quite the business logic. I would have been so furious and upset I wouldn't have been able to think straight. I could sure learn from you. Lots of Luck.

Aw that was sweet of you to say... I am feisty by nature as hubby puts it and I had the phone in my hand (after my head cleared a bit), to call them back and tell them they had a verbal agreement with me and that they were wrong etc.. but I took three deep breaths asked God what was the wise thing to do... I knew my intentions at that moment were ratalitory and did not feel peace about calling. Hubby lured me away from the phone and said to wait it out. Lo and behold she called and you read the rest of what happened.

Thanx for your compliment!

;)