How hot is too hot?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume that you can use a standard FO and use alot and have seepage or you can use a premium Fo without the inert stretch material in it and have no bleeding. I know, wording is rough but you know what I am saying. As you know, wax, has the the abailty to hold a certain amount of inert ingredients, after that, it will bleed. Might be why most premium candles are white? Do you want 6 drops of color or 6 more drops of fragrance for example?

I have posted on BC board about candle tins catcing fire, 6 oz tins, burning 8 hours, occurs in last 1/3 of candle. I do wick conservatively, but 2 of my customers (one being my daughter) just marathon burns and she caught one on fire. It was the wax burning, the FO had long since departed. Another customer (store owner) lit a candle in the morning and let it go. Late that afternoon, it caught fire. I duplicated the phenomenon by burning tins in my fireplace where they could do no harm. It took a while, but I finally caught a couple on fire. The wax (both 223 & 6006) caught fire and burned themselves out. When wax gets hot enough, it will ignite. Need to do some more fireplace tests with my tureens. See if the wax will ignite in them.
It wasn't you I was thinking of on the BCN board but that's another good story. Any idea how you plan to fix it?

That's very interesting. Wax getting hot enough ignites? What is the flash point of candle wax, normally? Are you sure it was the wax and not some excess fragrance oil possibly? That's a pretty horrifying story, and another example of why you SHOULD marathon burn, while testing your candles.

That's very interesting. Wax getting hot enough ignites? What is the flash point of candle wax, normally? Are you sure it was the wax and not some excess fragrance oil possibly? That's a pretty horrifying story, and another example of why you SHOULD marathon burn, while testing your candles.
The flash point of candle wax by itself is high, but when you mix it with other things it will go down. Once something ignites, even a flashover from FO fumes, the heat can get everything burning. It's not an everyday event but it's far from rare.

It pays to design conservatively because you can't catch everything in testing. Marathon burning is far from a guarantee. It's like testing computer software. You can be as thorough as you like, but then sit a naive user in front of the program. They'll grab the mouse and hit a few keys and it's lights out, because you never thought of testing exactly what they did.

Hint...the people who have both the strongest throwing AND the safest candles probably did a lot more work than you're currently counting on.

Possibly, but, we can only do what we can do, and, I'm doing everything I can. I've already gone through one full pallet of my jars, strictly in testing (which I would guess is more testing than most people do). I'm not even close to finished, by the way. While it's impossible to account for everything, proper amounts of testing can account for alot, and, that's what I'm doing right now.

I want to also state that I do appreciate all your advice and your sharing of knowledge on these boards, both with myself, and in general, however, I don't really know how you can possibly pretend to know "how much work I'm counting on" but, I'll humor you because of the advice that you so generously share (and I mean that). :wink2:

Forming a LLC, Will protect you incase of a lawsuit and so does the label you put on the bottom of your jar. Nothing is 100%. Well, you know. And as I said, I never seen a soy flare up, (besides a tester with EO) But that would of never been on the shelves. Buggy, what wax you using?

I will tell you what I think is the number one cause of a candle catching on fire. Trimming the wick and not removing the trimmings from the melt pool area. Candle burns to the bottom and all the trimmings come to life and catch on fire. Seen it happen and custom print my warning labels to include this info in the warning. With all the wicks on fire after a while the flash point of the wax is reached and fire results. Yes your not suppose to burn the candle down to the bottom, but you know it happens every day. Bruce

Simple. I've gleaned your approach from your posts, so I can see what you aren't doing.

With all due respect, your ability to "glean" is clearly out of whack, cause you have vastly underestimated me.

I think that while you are clearly an experienced and knowledgable chandler (more experienced and more knowledgable than most of us), I think that sometimes your elitst attitude kind of gets in the way. It's sometimes difficult for you to give advice or opinions without sounding condescending. This isn't an insult, but rather, an observation and something that hopefully, you will take to heart. Either way, it's not a big deal, because, while you are sitting here telling me what you have "gleaned" from my posts, I'm pouring candles, taking notes, and testing testing testing.

I'm the type of person that rarely goes into something without giving it their all, both in terms of monetary investment, and investment of "heart and soul." It's the very reason that I now run one of the largest, and most profitable designer fragrance websites in the world. So, while I do appreciate your advice (and I take much of it into account while trying to decide what route to take with my candles), you shouldn't pretend to "know" someone, based on information that you have "gleaned" from their posts, when, truth be told, you know nothing about me...much like I know nothing about you. If I were to judge you based strictly on information I've gleaned from your posts, I would guess that you are pompous and elitist, and the type of person who would rather "talk" or "teach" than "do."

But, I don't pretend to know you, and, I'm sure you probably aren't that type of person if I knew you, in person.

Either way, your advice is always appreciated, and certainly useful to most, myself included, so, keep it coming...even if it means that you feel the need to keep the attitude coming as well.

:wink2:

Love 'ya Top.

I will tell you what I think is the number one cause of a candle catching on fire. Trimming the wick and not removing the trimmings from the melt pool area. Candle burns to the bottom and all the trimmings come to life and catch on fire. Seen it happen and custom print my warning labels to include this info in the warning. With all the wicks on fire after a while the flash point of the wax is reached and fire results. Yes your not suppose to burn the candle down to the bottom, but you know it happens every day. Bruce

Excellent point, and one that I don't think has been discussed in this thread yet. We talked about FO load, and wax catching fire, but it's very possible that the cause of most of these is wick trimmings, at least partially.

Yes your not suppose to burn the candle down to the bottom, but you know it happens every day. Bruce

Wow, I learn something everyday. I sheeply raise my hand and admit that I too have been one to burn it down until the last flicker from the wick tab. I wonder what percentage of consumers blow the candle out or let it fade on it's own.

Thanks Bruce,

C

I now run one of the largest, and most profitable designer fragrance websites in the world.
Spill the bean then girl, ya cant just ask hundreds of questions from a place with out giving something back to us.... like your web page url? Some people might think your all talk, sucking as much life (info) out of the board as you can, leaving it all dried up and withered. I of course wouldn't think that. :D Bruce

I am not the most experienced chandler in the world, however, I do try to give as much back as possible, sharing suppliers, and things of that nature.

As for my webpage URL, it's not really applicable, as it's not a candle site in any way, shape or form. I would have a problem using this forum to advertise my site, so I won't. As for sharing what I know...I try to, as much as possible, however, as Top has so eloquently pointed out in the past, I'm FAR from the most experienced chandler on here, so, what I'm ABLE to share is somewhat limited.

Bruce, by all means, you can PM me, and, I would be glad to answer any off topic questions you might have. I am always willing to help others wherever I can.

Oh, I think designer fragrances are right up our alley here! Really! Feel free to share at least that with us. The mods will move the thread if its not ok here. Heck I might want to whip up a designer fragrance company and put you out of business... please tell me all about how you do YOUR job. Maybe then you will see that the many many questions you ask here ARE the little secrets that make some of us a good living. I think most people come to a board that want that kind of info come in, say hi and give a little info about them like what area they come from, and some kind of background info about their loves and life. If we go by your posts we don't know squat, come out and play, we might give you the real secrets after we get to know you. :lipsrseal

Bruce, by all means, you can PM me, and, I would be glad to answer any off topic questions you might have. I am always willing to help others wherever I can.
Well I do have a rash that I was going to go see a dr. about..... other then that, Im good. :D Bruce

Oh, I think designer fragrances are right up our alley here! Really! Feel free to share at least that with us. The mods will move the thread if its not ok here. Heck I might want to whip up a designer fragrance company and put you out of business... please tell me all about how you do YOUR job. Maybe then you will see that the many many questions you ask here ARE the little secrets that make some of us a good living. I think most people come to a board that want that kind of info come in, say hi and give a little info about them like what area they come from, and some kind of background info about their loves and life. If we go by your posts we don't know squat, come out and play, we might give you the real secrets after we get to know you. :lipsrseal

Bruce, as I mentioned before, I have no desire to turn this into a thread, or a board, or anything else, advertising my NON candle related website.

I do try to help as often as I can. I will gladly provide you with threads, in which I've posted, in an attempt to help out. Whether or not I've actually helped may be another story but, I have tried. Either way, thank you too for some of the help you provide, however, I won't be posting a url for my non-candle related website.

Well I do have a rash that I was going to go see a dr. about..... other then that, Im good. :D Bruce

Ok, perfect...My offer stands. Should you need to ask me anything about running an ecommerce site, by all means, ask away. Otherwise, thanks for the help you have provided in the past.

Otherwise, thanks for the help you have provided in the past.
Translation to what you just wrote: "Thanks for the help you have provided in the past Bruce, now please stfu while I ask the next hundred questions and give nothing in return" ... did I get that right>? Dude! Thanks for ignoring my request to post a little more about you so we might (or might not) feel more at ease in posting replies to you. Your not telling us anything, might be telling us all we need to know about you, hey? Bruce