Smooth Bottom Pillars

Folks-- I am not an expert on smooth pillar bottoms. I did have a few that asked about how I got my pillars smooth after I posted some pics. So here it is:

I have used two methods.-

The first method is to place a cookie sheet over a pan of simmering water. Put/stand your candle on the cookie sheet and the wax will start to melt. I hold the candle firmly and swirl it in a circular motion until its level on the bottom. This method produces a lot of wax in the pan so you get a drippy candle bottom. Then I clean the pan with paper towels and do a SECOND bottom melt to melt away the drips.

The second method is to buy a flat griddle pan (at the famous WalMart) and drill a few holes in it. Heat the hole drilled griddle pan and place a cookie sheet underneath to catch the dripping wax. Place/stand your candle on the griddle and melt the bottom til its smooth and level. A faster more efficient method without the drippy bottom probs.

Both need practice but produce the same results. I'm not saying either are the best ways its just that I was asked and so I wanted to share.

Its working for me until I figure out another way.

I would love to hear from others how they level and smooth their bottoms.:laugh2: (Couldn't help myself!)

I use somewhat of the same method, but I have an aluminum cake pan that fits perfectly in the top of my double boiler pan. I make sure the wick is approx. 1/4 inch 'inside' the pillar, then level. As I remove the candle, I simply use the side of my finger to remove the drips. I find a good box with a sure nuf straight side to check to see if the candle is level.

Pam R

I do mine in the bottom of a heavy based pan & swirl them around a bit, over the heat. It works really well the only problem is my kitchen seems to slope this way & that so I often find the perfect bottom isn't level at all. Trying to correct it usually ends up making the bottom wonky so short of ripping out the kitchen & levelling new fittings(which the landlady won't approve) I'm a bit stuck.

When I get my work room set up it'll be perfectly even all over!..Or that's the plan anyway....smooth bottoms ahhhh but I won't go there!

Sally.

I use a compound miter saw and slice about 1/8-1/4 inch off the bottom and it's perfectly level. Never could get a level pillar with the griddle. I'm just lucky enough to be married to a mechanic that's obsessed with power tools! :D

I use an iron skellet because it is thick heave metal and does not warp like a baking sheet. You do have to drain the pan while melting or you get a ring around the bottom part of the pillar. CAUTION!!! Don't burn yourself on the hot handle.

Don't waste that melted wax, save it and when you get enough, make fire starters. At least that way you make money on something you were going to throw away.

I use a compound miter saw and slice about 1/8-1/4 inch off the bottom and it's perfectly level. Never could get a level pillar with the griddle. I'm just lucky enough to be married to a mechanic that's obsessed with power tools! :D

So how do you keep the saw from gumming up with wax, how do you clean it?

So how do you keep the saw from gumming up with wax, how do you clean it?

Dunno what the other person does, but we use a saw here too, and we just use the heat gun a couple times during the day to melt off the excess wax. It's a little bit of work, but not too bad. If you're doing mass amounts of pillars this is a great way to do it.

I'm just a newbie and have only leveled a few, but the best way I have found (so far) to keep the bottom level when leveling in a pan, is to leave the candle in the mold whilst doing it. As long as the bottom of the mold is flat against the pan (and the bottom of the pan itself is flat) then the candle will be level also. The pan can actually be held at an angle and the bottom of the candle will be level as long as the mold and the pan are correct(perpendicular). Hope this makes sense.

I'm just a newbie and have only leveled a few, but the best way I have found (so far) to keep the bottom level when leveling in a pan, is to leave the candle in the mold whilst doing it. As long as the bottom of the mold is flat against the pan (and the bottom of the pan itself is flat) then the candle will be level also. The pan can actually be held at an angle and the bottom of the candle will be level as long as the mold and the pan are correct(perpendicular). Hope this makes sense.

That makes perfect sense to me.

My kitchen is so crooked it's a wonder I ever get level bottoms on my pillars.

I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow.

Thank you. :D

Sally.