Oil seeping from CP?

KMommy

I am new to this, only my second batch of CP. I made a small 2lb batch and used 2oz of FO. I noticed that when I added the FO it didn't seem to blend well with the soap but it didn't seep to the top right away. I covered the soap with plastic wrap on top of the mold but not touching the soap. After 24 hours in the mold there was oil seeping from the soap. When I pressed down with my thumb more oil would rise. Also, the top of the soap is very rough and bumpy(this also happened with the first CP batch I made) I did cut the soap and I cut the tops off of each bar to remove the ugly portion. My questions are...with 1oz FO used per pound should this have happened(oil seeping), what is causing the rough ugly tops on my soap, will the oil eventually be be absorb by the soap?

Ah, I bet that is the problem! It was a 2lb batch so I added 1oz for each pound of total weight. I was looking over the recipes I have and I noticed that most either just state "add FO" no specific amounts given or "1oz per pound" I just assumed it was total weight. Thanks for pointing that out to me! I'll try another batch and see if that takes care of the problem. It's tough being a newbie with alot of question. I appreciate you guys help!

It is the per pound of oils. Not the per pound of total batch weight. With that much fo in the batch it may have caused problems with your tops.

When you refer to batch weight, as in what the mold hold, it's lbs. of oils. For example, if I go to Sooz and say a want a 2 lb. batch, 50% coconut, 50% lard, it will tell me one lb. of each. Batch weight and lbs. of oils are the same thing.

Ok, let me make sure I understand this correctly. The batch weight for the FO isn't the problem? Could it just be that some FO's should be used in smaller amounts? Also, when pouring into the soap mold does the temp. of the soap make a difference in the appearence of the finished soap? When making soy candles the tops of candles are sometimes not as smooth depending on what temp. the wax was poured into the container. Is it the same for CP? Should I pour when it is a little hotter?

The fragrance makes a huge difference, which is why some will ruin your batch completely. Some FO's don't like lye at all, others change completely. Certain types, like florals, are known to accelarate trace, meaning that everything starts to happen very quickly. You can try adding your FO to your pot of oils, before mixing with the lye water. This can help a bit.

As for the smoothness, it's not the temperature but the thickness of the batch. The longer you go, the thicker it gets, even if you are not touching it at all. This is why we say to have everything ready to go. some people like to pour thick and texture the top of the soap.

In summary, I'm sure it was mixed enough and that you did nothing wrong. thesw things just "happen". :wink2: 1 oz per lb is not a huge amount (but I'd back down to 3/4)

I has experience something similar to that and I use 1.5 PPO and it was all a matter of the FO...I always used that 1.5 (FO or EO) but when I used Vainilla FO (no lucky witht this fragance..I had try about 3 or 4 diffenrent FO) I have that seep results...and also happend with a Peak Blueberry Muffin FO...so I had learns that some time with some FO thats happens...lol...finally I learn my leasson...now I try to buy FO that are listed in the FO Rock in CP and in that way I go for sure

Wanda