415 and 464 Question

What exactly is the difference between these two waxes and is there a general preference of one over the other? I've searched here and can't find what I'm looking for. Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I'm relatively new to the world of soy, so please forgive me :D

Breanna,

Are you going to test those 126's in the 464 and the widemouth? If you do, let me know how it goes. I've been meaning to get to it, but I just can't seem to find the time. If it's not one thing, it's another..... you know the drill. :laugh2:

I was wondering how long you guys were curing your candles poured with the 464? Is the scent throw really that good? I have been mixing soy with paraffin and I would love to find a good soy wax blend that has a great scent throw. THanks for the info!

Breanna,

Are you going to test those 126's in the 464 and the widemouth? If you do, let me know how it goes. I've been meaning to get to it, but I just can't seem to find the time. If it's not one thing, it's another..... you know the drill. :laugh2:

Hi Meredith,,Yep I am getting ready to test them in the morning,,I will keep in touch with pics too ,,,:D

I was wondering how long you guys were curing your candles poured with the 464? Is the scent throw really that good? I have been mixing soy with paraffin and I would love to find a good soy wax blend that has a great scent throw. THanks for the info!

I was actually only curing them for 24hrs......I'm one of those that just can't wait ;)

Where can the 464 wax be purchased? I did a Google search and came up with nothing. I'm using EcoSoya CB Adv but want to try something else. Thanks. Kay

Mmmmm...I smell tasty noob in the air :drool:

Here is link to the thread with suppliers list that Jason form GB gave us:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19252&highlight=464

Also don't be afraid to use the Search function to find what you need ;)

geek

Keystone has a good EZPour has a great hot and cold throw..soy/paraffin blend. I LOVE it and will NEVER go back to plain soy again...this one is soooo much easier to wick.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have pics of them AFTER they have burned them?

I don't have any pics but I can definitly tell you there is a difference between the two after they burn. 415 after being poured is rough and does not change for me even after being test burned. But it's a pure soy. It may behave if mixed with another wax. The 464 is even more beautiful after being burned. It will cool with a even, creamy, gorgeous top and were the burn pool has cooled, it keeps it's adhesion to the jar. I'm personally loving the creamy look of this wax. hth :D

I called GB on Thursday to see if they had a supplier close to me. If I have to order online the shipping is going to be as much as the wax! They referred me to a distributor in St. Louis. She gave me a really great price, including shipping, on the 464 so I'm going to try it. Just not happy with the scent throw from the CB Advanced.

Thanks so much for the links and replies.

Kay

• 1 month later...
Keystone has a good EZPour has a great hot and cold throw..soy/paraffin blend. I LOVE it and will NEVER go back to plain soy again...this one is soooo much easier to wick.

I use the EZPour too. I was getting it from KH before they sold to Keystone. I now get it at Creative Candle Supply, no shipping.

I just recently switched from 415 to 464. The major differences that I have found are in the pouring temp. I can treat and wick the 464 like a paraffin wax, which I love because it cuts out waiting time. I heat the 464, just like I heat the 415, to 185, measure my f/o out into my pour pot and once it's melted, I pour into my pour pot. Give it a good stir and let it sit only a minute and then pour into my containers. I also use this wax in tarts. It's awesome. With the 415, I would have to wait until it got slushy before I would pour it into the containers. Which also means that I would use more wax to fill the same container with the 415. I used to use 13 ounces of the 415 for a 16oz mason jar candle and now I can get away with 12 and it fills it to the same spot. I realize that's not much but if you making a lot of candles, it adds up. Which means I keep costs down.

The other major difference is wicking. I have found that I need to wick down a couple of sizes with the 464 as well. As a result, I actually have a better burn.

HTH!

Which wicks work in this wax? I have only used HTP wicks and they do not work - lose hot throw midway through burn. We were told in another thread that self-centering wicks do not work in the 464 so if someone who is having success with the hot throw could give me a wick recommendation, I would really appreciate it. Thanks,

Which wicks work in this wax? I have only used HTP wicks and they do not work - lose hot throw midway through burn. We were told in another thread that self-centering wicks do not work in the 464 so if someone who is having success with the hot throw could give me a wick recommendation, I would really appreciate it. Thanks,

so far Iv tried cd,eco,lx and am losing scent half way through burn no matter how small I wick sorry I cant be more help :)