Select Shades

Meridith

I just got some colors from Select Shades. I've only done 2 batches (scented Magic of India from GL, and my own mix of Peppermint FO, Invigorating from JS, and Peppermint EO and Spearmint EO). I've been playing around with these dyes and so far I am really liking them. The colors you get are so vibrant and they are so easy to incorporate into you soap and blend so nicely. These are one of those things that you wonder why you didn't get them sooner. Anybody else use these? Anybody try these in bathbombs? Any tips?

Oooh, I LOVES me some select shades! They're awesome in soap and bombs, but don't try to add them to anything like lotion bars, or scrubs, or something with an oily base. They work great in lotions, emulsified butters, etc though. I liked them well enough to buy the 8oz set. I mean, where else can you use 8 basic colors to get a multitude of color combos?

I do prefer Wilton cake dyes in my bombs and scrubs though.

I haven't used the Electric kiwi by itself yet, but I did mix it and got a beautiful Kelly Green color with it. I am just now getting the hang of mixing those things. I get that the "parts" have to be the same part, but when you have 2 parts of one, 1 part of another and a 1/2 part of another, and you are only trying to make 1/4 tsp, it gets a little hairy for me. I am so not a math person.

So far every batch I have done using these dyes has turned out so cool looking. Normally I am very swirl challenged yet:bliss: I have made some really cool tye-dyed looking soaps. I just finished a lilac that I am hoping will turn out. My colors aren't matching the scent because I am just playing and experimenting to see what colors I get. It has been a total blast and I have been soaping like a mad woman. I've got lots of little lye itcheys all over my arms to prove it. But I am damned proud of how my soaps look. Now I just hope they feel good. I'm totally loving these colorants.

OK, I've been wanting to try select shades for a while ever since I got my peacock shades and haven't been terribly impressed w/them especially after comparing costs... soooo, thanks a freakin' bunch guys - I'm sold!!

Now, where's my damn credit card?? :rolleyes2

Actually, the electric kiwi scares the crap outta me. It's some toxic looking stuff isn't it? :D

:D Don't let it scare the crap out of you! Mix a little false blue for an amazing green. Or use it straight. It is a phenomenal color!

I liked them until everybody started talking about them growing bacteria. It seems as if for some reason the Electric Kiwi was the worst. I don't know if it was just easier to see them or what. Someone has a sil who is a microbiologist. She did some tests on that girls colorants and the Electric Kiwi was especially bad. If you have some try holding it up to a light and see if you see stuff floating all through the color not just sediment on the bottom because that isn't the same thing at all.

I think a lot of people are going with Lab Colors (I think they have them): http://www.chemistrystore.com/ or Cybilla's Celestial Colors: http://www.celestialcolors.com/index.htm

I liked them until everybody started talking about them growing bacteria. It seems as if for some reason the Electric Kiwi was the worst. I don't know if it was just easier to see them or what. Someone has a sil who is a microbiologist. She did some tests on that girls colorants and the Electric Kiwi was especially bad. If you have some try holding it up to a light and see if you see stuff floating all through the color not just sediment on the bottom because that isn't the same thing at all.

I think a lot of people are going with Lab Colors (I think they have them): http://www.chemistrystore.com/ or Cybilla's Celestial Colors: http://www.celestialcolors.com/index.htm

Um, ew! But in CP wouldn't the lye kill off the little critters? Just a thought.

Um, ew! But in CP wouldn't the lye kill off the little critters? Just a thought.

Possibly but what about the usage in other B&B applications? TW's response to the situation was very unprofessional which is fine but I for one won't be doing business with them.

Jen

Possibly but what about the usage in other B&B applications? TW's response to the situation was very unprofessional which is fine but I for one won't be doing business with them.

Jen

Can you clarify what you mean by TW's response was unprofessional? Were they alerted to this problem and did nothing? Thanks!

I had all of my Select Shades tested when this rumor started. I am lucky to have access to a biologist, but I still had to pay for it. Mine were fine with not a single thing wrong and I had different batches. I also have never had a single problem ordering from TW's. But I have had a few horror stories from some beloved suppliers. You have to go based on your own experiences and so I must say that all of mine have been positive with TW's.

I have not had mine tested but TW's turn around time was very quick. I just wish it specified on the site which colors are in the basic set - or if it does, I couldn't find i/ didn't see it. I figured it was the usual basics - green, blue, yellow, orange, red, purple etc. I ordered other colors also and they were in the basic color set too so I ended up with duplicate colors. After reading the threads from the dish, it sounds like most of the ickies will be killed with the lye except one.

I've been using Select Shades for several years, and never had a problem with them. I think they just had one batch that was bad, that doesn't make it okay, but I would imagine after that they are pretty careful with their testing.

I also love the vibrant colors you can get with the SS. I have LabColours too, and I love them, but when I need a good bold color I use the SS, with the LabColours you have to use to much.