new here

Hi I am new here, also new to learning how to make candles

I need to know what items I need to get to start with.

any help is appreciated

I stay at home due to heart attack and can not work out of the house I am so bored and I figure candles will keep me busy as I love candles myself

Diane

Welcome to the board Diane.

My suggestion is to decide what kind of candle you want to learn to make first -- votives, pillars, containers and then get a kit to get you started. Most kits, from reputable suppliers, will come with almost everything you need.

For instance, Peak Candle Supply has all three kits and includes quite a bit, including easy to follow instructions ;)

Hi and welcome to the boards, sorry I'm not able to offer any help for your soy needs, but I can tell you that this candle making thing is very addictive and everyone here is super helpful, just turn yourself into a sponge and soak up all this free knowledge. Also the search button is your friend, a lot of information can be found just by doing a search. Hope this helps.

~~JG

thank you both for the links I looked at both sites I guess I would need all the stuff in a kit to start and the one on greenleaf does not come with the melting pot

so maybe I should go to peak candle so I get all of the supplies needed in the kit

thanks for the info

Diane

Deeken, First, WELCOME! I'm a newbie and find each month some kind of way to squuueeezzzeee a little more out of the budget for a new FO or wax I want to try, my suggestions are this...

Presto Kitchen Kettle-Walmart $22.00

Candy them- Walmart $2.75

Pack of wooden spoons- Walmart $1.75

The jarstore will send you 4 sample jars to try for free.

Peaks has a very nice wick sampler.

I would be glad to send you some FO's to try.

Do some looking around, find a wax you would be intersted in and then click the search button on this site, it is a GREAT resourse. THEN, find a supply co. close to you and call to see if they have SAMPLE sizes and prices.

Hope this helps, good luck to you!

Well one thought about pour pots is you can use practically anything, so you could even look at your thrift stores for something that might work as well. Heck if you drink coffee and they still make the large cans, you could turn that into a pour pot ;) Also there are presto kettles at Wal-Mart you might get one of those instead of a pour pot. It's up to you. Just feel you should start with what you want to make ;)

Start off by deciding what kind of candles you are interested in making, then buy a kit. You don't necessarily need to buy a kit with a pouring pitcher, you can always use a large Pyrex measuring cup. You can buy those just about anyplace including your nearby grocery store.

When you first make candles, try to follow the directions given with your kit. If it doesn't seem to work very well, you can always come back here, do a search, or ask questions if you need to. There are a lot of experienced candle makers on this board that are more than willing to help in any way they can.

Above all, just have a lot of fun!

:yay:

Thank you for the suggestions I guess it would end up cheaper using these items rather then the melting pot itself

I am going to walmarts tomorrow I will shop around and see what they have there

also maybe look in michaels just to price there kits

Diane

I agree with everyone else on the starter kit. Micheal's is pretty expensive on their stuff, pour pots, wax, molds. The wicks they sell are not the type of wicks that are normally used in candles (I think they call them small, med and large), nor is the wax (which is about $6.00/lb). Not to mention the scents they carry are pretty light, so any help we could give you to troubleshoot any issues you may have along the way would be very little. In my opinion, by the time you buy everything you need at Michaels, you could have bought a good quality starter kit from a reputable supplier, and paid shipping on it. There would also be a lot more people to help you with any problems you might encounter. One other thing, depending on where you live, you may have a supplier closer to you, that you could either pick up your stuff or pay very little shipping. That also helps a lot. Best of luck to you, hope to see some creations soon in the gallery. :D