Zinc Core Wicks and Containers

From reading allot of posts I would think that the Zinc Core Wicks are the most popular for Container Candles. They mushroom an awful lot, so I was wondering if someone can go over the advantages and disadvantages of some of the other wicks:

Like the Zinc Core I know helps the wick stay centered (advantage) but the mushrooming is a (disadvantage)

I am relatively new at this and have not experimented with any other wicks.

HTP Wick

Cotton Core Wick

LX Wick

What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of these wicks pertaining to container candles.

Thanks . . . . . . :)

Have you tried the low smoke zinc wicks? I switched to those and they mushroom less and don't smoke like the other zincs occasionally would.

As for other wicks? I prefer not to use cotton, because they smoke like crazy in container candles. They worked great in pillars but they were a bear in containers. Their advantage is they burn hot, so if you can't find a wick hot enough in your collection, try a cotton.

I used HTP for probably 2 years and they are good wicks. Again, they tend to smoke in some waxes and I had to test extensively to get the wicks perfect. I think if they had more sizes I probably would have kept using them, but for some applications one wick was too small but the next size up was too large.

I tried the LX for a while, but wasn't impressed - LX wicks I thought should work in certain combinations never worked and I often had to wick WAY up to get them to burn the wax completely. I currently have probably 500 LX wicks in all sizes that I never use. They were just.....puny....to me. LOL!

My 2 favorite wicks would be the low smoke zinc and CD wicks. With those 2 types of wicks I can wick everything I make. I make bakery candles, pillars, votives, containers, etc. and never fail to find the proper wick size. CDs burn hot, which is an advantage to me, but they also have so many sizes that you're sure to find the one you need.

Just my .02 - we all love different wicks for different reasons :)

DanaE

I hate zinc wicks! I think I've tested at least 6 different types of wick and always come back to the HTP.

Honestly, you should get some sample packs and see what you like. Everyone's preferences are different.

I use the zincs in all my containers as well. I have tested others and always come back. Right now I am testing some of the cotton ones from Peaks but more than likely I will be back to the zincs. Who knows. :rolleyes:

I'm also a zinc person... When I first started with candles I went and bought a couple of kits and the had zinc wicks in them.. I have been very happy wwith them and have been having VERY little wick problems, so I haven't tried anything else...

Jeanna

I'm a zinc person also. I tried some of the CD's but they smoked too much for me. I have learned to live with the mushrooms and just tell everyone to trim their wicks after every use. I find with most of my burns the first one is the one that mushrooms the worse and then after that its not as bad.

I hate zinc wicks! I think I've tested at least 6 different types of wick and always come back to the HTP.

Honestly, you should get some sample packs and see what you like. Everyone's preferences are different.

I'm with you, hate zinc. I use LX or Cd, very little mushrooming or smoke

I use zinc in all my containers and votives they work great. I get less soot and carbon buildup. I tried the cotton and they smoked , and I tried the htp and I couldn't get a slow enough burn for my votives. They had lots of wick and no candle left. Plus the zinc is a little less expensive IMO as I tab them myself.